BinaxNow Covid-19 Ag test card review and info

Smmessineo

3 hours ago, MartinsCruise said:

If he had his account set up beforehand, would they allow you to do one after the other?

That isn't going to work, best bet is to each use your own device to log in and complete the test at the same time, in different rooms if necessary.

Otherwise you'll have to log in for the 2nd one and wait for a proctor again...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

That isn't going to work, best bet is to each use your own device to log in and complete the test at the same time, in different rooms if necessary.

Otherwise you'll have to log in for the 2nd one and wait for a proctor again...

Thanks!  We'll do that.

1 minute ago, MartinsCruise said:

Thanks!  We'll do that.

You can have a proctor race 🙂 see who gets finished first.

Given the potential wait times I don't see how any other route makes sense for a couple, or a whole family for that matter...

• Haha 1

Just now, Mark_T said:

You can have a proctor race 🙂 see who gets finished first.

Given the potential wait times I don't see how any other route makes sense for a couple, or a whole family for that matter...

If I hear that wait times are long close to the time we need to do this, we may stay up late the night before and log on after midnight because that would technically still be two days before we cruise.

• Like 1

If I hear that wait times are long close to the time we need to do this, we may stay up late the night before and log on after midnight because that would technically still be two days before we cruise.

Would you please report back your wait times for those of us leaving in a few weeks?  

5 hours ago, MartinsCruise said:

If you don't need them until Nov, I would wait.  The ones we received last week expire on Jan 5 so they'll get us through Sept and Nov cruises but will expire before our trip to Aruba in Feb.

@MartinsCruise - Could I just ask for a clarification?  Did you buy the Abbott BinaxNOW Covid-19 Ag Card kits?  If so, I see that the expiration date has been extended to 12 months (from when?  maybe from manufacture?).  If these are the tests you bought, is the January 5 date the original date on the packaging, or the extended 12 month date?  See the FDA letter here: https://www.emed.com/hubfs/EUA-abbott-binaxNOW-Rev-2021-04-06.pdf?hsLang=en

Tom & Judy

10 minutes ago, TFree said:

@MartinsCruise - Could I just ask for a clarification?  Did you buy the Abbott BinaxNOW Covid-19 Ag Card kits?  If so, I see that the expiration date has been extended to 12 months (from when?  maybe from manufacture?).  If these are the tests you bought, is the January 5 date the original date on the packaging, or the extended 12 month date?  See the FDA letter here: https://www.emed.com/hubfs/EUA-abbott-binaxNOW-Rev-2021-04-06.pdf?hsLang=en

Tom & Judy

The original expiration date shown is Oct 5 but it was extended by 3 months so it's good until Jan 5.  I called Abbott to verify this.

The original expiration date shown is Oct 5 but it was extended by 3 months so it's good until Jan 5.  I called Abbott to verify this.

Sorry, I later saw your earlier post where you said just that.  I guess I am still puzzled by why they sent you, I think you said just last week or so, kits that were supposed to expire a month and a half later.  Does that mean they were already around 8 months old, and they were extended to 12?  I realize that you might not know the answer to that, but if you do, please share.

Thanks,

Tom & Judy

3 hours ago, TFree said:

Sorry, I later saw your earlier post where you said just that.  I guess I am still puzzled by why they sent you, I think you said just last week or so, kits that were supposed to expire a month and a half later.  Does that mean they were already around 8 months old, and they were extended to 12?  I realize that you might not know the answer to that, but if you do, please share.

Thanks,

Tom & Judy

Abbott shut down production and let staff go late this past spring when demand fell. They are now ramping up again to produce more kits, but that will take some time. It seems that all they have available to ship at this point is their old stock.

• Like 3

On 9/3/2021 at 6:51 PM, MartinsCruise said:

We got a 6 pack from emed earlier this week.  It shows an expiration date of Oct 5 but it's extended by three months until Jan 5.  I called to verify this.

Sue, just got my 6 pack today…they came from KY and the expiration was also Oct 5. Guess they have an over abundance of tests that expire at the same time. Mine also had a Feb date of some sort on the same label…does yours have this?  

Wish they had a little longer expiration date, but alas, I will just have to plan an extra trip to use the extra 2 😂 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, okiedrifters said:

Sue, just got my 6 pack today…they came from KY and the expiration was also Oct 5. Guess they have an over abundance of tests that expire at the same time. Mine also had a Feb date of some sort on the same label…does yours have this?  

Wish they had a little longer expiration date, but alas, I will just have to plan an extra trip to use the extra 2 😂 

Yes, the earliest date shown is Feb so that may have been when it was manufactured.  It's good you have them so you'll be ready to go.

36 minutes ago, MartinsCruise said:

Yes, the earliest date shown is Feb so that may have been when it was manufactured.  It's good you have them so you'll be ready to go.

Thanks Sue! Will use the first ones in October for Banff and then for our cruise. Now, I’m starting to think of possible other trips for the other 2 tests.

I found some interesting info on that you xxxx place (not sure I can say it?) that explains some reasons for false positive tests.  One being not going up far enough in your nostrils. There was also other videos showing the procedure (test taking)..I am gonna watch again before I do the test. 😅 

1 hour ago, okiedrifters said:

See post #132

54 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

I can get 5 unproctored BinaxNow 2-packs free per month without cost (my employer pays).  Sounds like there's no way to pay for those to be proctored.  If anyone has info to the contrary, please let me/us know.

The home test without telemedicine support is not an approved test for travel purposes, however, I was going to submit my cost for the kits to my healthcare spending account to see if they would be covered.

• Like 2

Have you folks heard about the option to order a "home-test kit" via the Celebrity website starting Sept 8th? I apologize if someone has already posted this, but it seemed pretty on point for this thread.

Health & Safety FAQs: Find Answers Online | Celebrity Cruises

Where and When to Get Your Test

Most local pharmacy chains offer COVID-19 Testing and most county or state websites can help you find a local public testing site. You can also go to a doctor’s office, diagnostic lab, or telehealth provider to get your test.

Some additional things to keep in mind when scheduling your test:

• For sailings that require a pre-cruise test, you will be asked to take the test no more than 3 days before your sail date for unvaccinated guests and no more than 2 days for vaccinated. How to calculate 3 and 2 days before: The day you set sail is not included as one of the days. For example, if you are setting sail on a Saturday, you can take your test on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday before your sailing and for 2 days you can take the test Thursday or Friday.
  • Make sure that your selected test provider can provide you a valid results document in time for your travel. 
  • For full vaccinated guests living in the U.S., a home-test kit will be available for purchase on our Website as of Wednesday, September 8, 2021. We are working with an authorized medical provider to be able to offer this option. You will complete your pre-cruise test right at home or at any other place of your choosing with the help of a live video supervision by a Certified Guide.  This test kit will be delivered anywhere in the U.S, within two business days and you will receive validated results in 15 minutes.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Have you folks heard about the option to order a "home-test kit" via the Celebrity website starting Sept 8th? I apologize if someone has already posted this, but it seemed pretty on point for this thread.

It's been posted before (not sure if on this thread), but better to have repeats of important info.  According to additional info in the Celebrity FAQ ("More about the test kit"), the actual ordering will be through RCI's "online storefront."  I guess we'll all know for sure tomorrow.  

• ORDER YOUR TEST KIT ONLINE: Visit Royal Caribbean’s online storefront, powered by Optum, to order your kit. The test kit ships within the U.S. and arrives in two days or less.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/faqs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

It's been posted before (not sure if on this thread), but better to have repeats of important info.  According to additional info in the Celebrity FAQ ("More about the test kit"), the actual ordering will be through RCI's "online storefront."  I guess we'll all know for sure tomorrow.  

• ORDER YOUR TEST KIT ONLINE: Visit Royal Caribbean’s online storefront, powered by Optum, to order your kit. The test kit ships within the U.S. and arrives in two days or less.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/faqs

Here it is as advertised:

Optum Store | Optum Store

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Here it is as advertised:

Optum Store | Optum Store

So it looks like this could be a better option for some depending on how many kits are needed.  If kits are ordered direct through eMed they are $150 for 6 pack or through Optum/Celebrity $99/3 pack or $69/2 pack.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 39august said:

I am very confused about how this test is monitored. What kind of devise is this done on, please? Is it only on an I phone, which we don't have. On an I pad? On line using your lap top?

Any device you can use to FaceTime, Zoom, etc.  

9 minutes ago, 39august said:

I am very confused about how this test is monitored. What kind of devise is this done on, please? Is it only on an I phone, which we don't have. On an I pad? On line using your lap top?

You need the ability to scan the bar code on the test kit from the device you are using to login to complete the testing & you need to have internet access on the device.

Edited by aly7859
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, aly7859 said:

So it looks like this could be a better option for some depending on how many kits are needed.  If kits are ordered direct through eMed they are $150 for 6 pack or through Optum/Celebrity $99/3 pack or $69/2 pack.

Folks ordering the kits should keep in mind that it is recommended to have two kits per person, since it's possible that a test could produce an inconclusive result.