BinaxNow Covid-19 Ag test card review and info

Smmessineo

I wanted to share my good experience. My husband and I have an Edge sailing Sept 4. After having trouble booking tests , then having Walmart/quest cancel and CVS say results are 2-3 days minimum, Celebrity came through and gave the ok for people to use the  Abbott BinaxNow COVID-19 Ag Card with telehealth supervision.. I ordered a 6 pack from eMed . They were delivered the next day ! Now that we had tests in hand, we decided why not sail even sooner!?!

We just tested today. It was straightforward and not time consuming at all. We used our phones, didn't need a computer . You basically are in a video call with the person monitoring your test taking. At 8 am EDT I had no wait to speak to a test supervisor.  At 9am my husband had a 9 minute wait. There are some videos out there showing the process, as well as written instructions on the eMed and Navica sites. 

The results are available in multiple formats, and show all pertinent information. I will give an update when we board.

So we are negative as of today, August 25 , and just booked the August 28 sailing! Since we already had Sept 4 booked, so it may become a b2b or we may just cancel Sept 4 and move the FCC to our January cruise. 😁

• Like 5

So did you receive email results in addition to the app code?  I’m looking into this test for us as our next cruise would require our test be done on Thanksgiving ☹️ and I wasn’t sure our local UrgentMD was going to be open.  We drive the next two days and I don’t want to try to schedule on the road…nor do I want to be halfway to Florida only to test positive.

• Like 1

So great to hear this news! I have been following these tests for flying, and just this morning I told my husband I could not understand why these would not be approved for cruising! It is a supervised test…

Do you know if this was approved for all Celebrity sailings? Did Celebrity send out an email or did you get the ok via phone, etc? 

We are booked on 11/28 out of FLL and within our 72 hour window is the Thanksgiving holiday which limits testing options. 

Thanks so much for posting! Hubby and I also hop in last minute sometimes…is it great to have the flexibility to do it? Have a fabulous time on your cruise! 

Cheers, 
EJ 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

So did you receive email results in addition to the app code?  I’m looking into this test for us as our next cruise would require our test be done on Thanksgiving ☹️ and I wasn’t sure our local UrgentMD was going to be open.  We drive the next two days and I don’t want to try to schedule on the road…nor do I want to be halfway to Florida only to test positive.

Same boat we are…we are on 11/28 Equinox sailing.  So happy to see these test are now being accepted.  Waiting on her response as to if this was just for the 9/4 sailing, etc . We were already gonna use these tests to fly back into the US as they are approved for flying. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, okiedrifters said:

So great to hear this news! I have been following these tests for flying, and just this morning I told my husband I could not understand why these would not be approved for cruising! It is a supervised test…

Do you know if this was approved for all Celebrity sailings? Did Celebrity send out an email or did you get the ok via phone, etc? 

We are booked on 11/28 out of FLL and within our 72 hour window is the Thanksgiving holiday which limits testing options. 

Thanks so much for posting! Hubby and I also hop in last minute sometimes…is it great to have the flexibility to do it? Have a fabulous time on your cruise! 

Cheers, 
EJ

X's website...

Where I recommend many of us go for this type of info, directly from the horses mouth.

In health and bon voyage

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Yes, i had the option to email results from the Navica app, and also a pdf from the eMed site, which looks different. If i get a chance, i will edit out persinal info and post photos of these forms.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, okiedrifters said:

Cheers, 
EJ 

The Celebrity FAQs on testing, now spells out exactly which type of home medically supervised test is accepted. For once, Celebrity's website is very clear about something . 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/faqs#testing-and-screening-faqs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, okiedrifters said:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/faqs#testing-and-screening-faqs

Excerpted from Celebrity's Health & Safety FAQs:

"More on Abbott Brand Tests

Abbott tests have become a popular and commonly available COVID-19 test brand. Here’s what’s acceptable.

• Any Abbott brand test administered on site by a pharmacy technician or other health professional is accepted. They must provide you with a proper results document (no handwritten notes).
  • The Abbott BinaxNow COVID-19 Ag Card Test, which is taken at home and supervised by a telemedicine professional, is accepted. It must be taken under live video supervision.
  •  The Abbott BinaxNow COVID-19 Antigen Self-Test, which is taken at home and not supervised by a medical professional, is NOT accepted."
  • Like 1

Wife and I just did this test for our Alaska cruise leaving this Friday... Great experience, minimum wait for the online proctor to watch and validate test... Did this on a laptop... Received results on app and email.. Printed both off sand printed the celebrity heath prodicals that show this test is accepted...69 bucks for two test including emed monitoring.....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Smmessineo said:

So we are negative as of today, August 25 , and just booked the August 28 sailing! Since we already had Sept 4 booked, so it may become a b2b or we may just cancel Sept 4 and move the FCC to our January cruise. 😁

Great news! I'd do exactly the same if I lived a few hundred miles closer😊

Thanks for sharing your experience thus far. I had the same thought process, but I'm a day behind you😂 My shipment from eMed arrived 10 minutes ago. Our next cruise is in October, and I think we'll be able to get Rapid Antigen test appointments at CVS before that flight. I've been more concerned about testing prior to our December cruise, which falls between the two busy holidays, so I feel much better having this supervised home testing option.

Hope you have a great time on your "bonus" cruise! Cheers🥂

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Smmessineo said:

Yes, i had the option to email results from the Navica app, and also a pdf from the eMed site, which looks different. If i get a chance, i will edit out persinal info and post photos of these forms.

These are the 2 types of results you are sent. They can both be viewed in app, in email or printed.

Screenshot_20210825-130814-105~2.png

Screenshot_20210825-131021-483~2.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

Great news! I'd do exactly the same if I lived a few hundred miles closer😊

Thanks for sharing your experience thus far. I had the same thought process, but I'm a day behind you😂 My shipment from eMed arrived 10 minutes ago. Our next cruise is in October, and I think we'll be able to get Rapid Antigen test appointments at CVS before that flight. I've been more concerned about testing prior to our December cruise, which falls between the two busy holidays, so I feel much better having this supervised home testing option.

Hope you have a great time on your "bonus" cruise! Cheers🥂

Can you please check and see what's the expiration dates on the packages? We have a cruise Oct this year, and another April next year. I'm hoping I can still use the remaining boxes in April.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Just now, seapad said:

Can you please check and see what's the expiration dates on the packages? We have a cruise Oct this year, and another April next year. I'm hoping I can still use the remaining boxes in April.

Thanks.

I think it varies. To be honest, i was a bit angry when i got our tests. 

First, let me state that all  these tests' expirations have been extended beyond whatever they have printed on them. This has all been cleared with the FDA (?) . I guess studies have been done that they have a longer shelf life with good results than originally expected. Theres a stamp on the box that says "add 3 months to the expiration date". 

But here's my problem. The ones i got, with these new extended expiration rules, have an 11 month shelf life from manufacture date. But the darn things were made in February ! And i got them in mid August, so they are only good for another 4  1/2 months, til early January of 2022! 

Like you, i have cruises in the future. And the six pack i got will expire before i need the last two. 

After my trip, i will complain.

A quick question.     Is there more than one BinaxNow kit to choose from?    I purchased some for self testing and don't believe they include a proctor.   The ones I bought cost about $29 and each box contains 2 tests to be taken 1 day apart to confirm results.

Never mind.   I checked their website and they have both a self test and a Self Test with monitor.    They say the one with monitor requires a prescription and the other doesn't. 

Edited by Jim_Iain

10 minutes ago, Smmessineo said:

I think it varies. To be honest, i was a bit angry when i got our tests. 

First, let me state that all  these tests' expirations have been extended beyond whatever they have printed on them. This has all been cleared with the FDA (?) . I guess studies have been done that they have a longer shelf life with good results than originally expected. Theres a stamp on the box that says "add 3 months to the expiration date". 

But here's my problem. The ones i got, with these new extended expiration rules, have an 11 month shelf life from manufacture date. But the darn things were made in February ! And i got them in mid August, so they are only good for another 4  1/2 months, til early January of 2022! 

Like you, i have cruises in the future. And the six pack i got will expire before i need the last two. 

Is it possible to call the company before departure to explain the need for a longer shelf life kit vs what you were sent?

They may replace it for you without qualms.

In health and bon voyage

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, seapad said:

Thanks.

My dates are similar to those of @Smmessineo. The expiration date on the boxes is 2021-10-15. There is a sticker on the outside of the shipping box that says the tests within have shelf lives extended by three months, so mine expire 15 January 2022. We can use four of ours for our October and December cruises, but we won't be able to use the last two for our April 2022 cruise.

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

A quick question.     Is there more than one BinaxNow kit to choose from?    I purchased some for self testing and don't believe they include a proctor.   The ones I bought cost about $29 and each box contains 2 tests to be taken 1 day apart to confirm results.

Yes. I ordered ones like you describe from CVS.com. They do not satisfy Celebrity's requirement for a medically supervised test. See post #8.

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

There are two. The antigen self-test is not allowed. The only one acceptable is the COVID AgCard Home Test. A two pack is $69. Quite a bit more expensive than the $23 self test. You do it through a video visit with a healthcare prover. We just used them this weekend. Extremely easy and takes 15 minutes. 

12 minutes ago, Smmessineo said:

But the darn things were made in February ! And i got them in mid August, so they are only good for another 4  1/2 months, til early January of 2022! 

You are going to complain to who (?) that a product expired?

4 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

The self test ones are not accepted by the cruise line. It must say AT HOME (the AG card version). They are only available for sale at e-med.com, or Optum.com

If you live in NY, you may be able to buy them at Walmart. Any other retail places, including Amazon, only carry the Self Test kind (it's labeled on the box - so please check). These are not accepted by RCL nor Celebrity. 

8 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Is it possible to call the company before departure to explain the need for a longer shelf life kit vs what you were sent?

They may replace it for you without qualms.

In health and bon voyage

I called. They are shipping whatever they have in the inventory. They also say that whatever we receive is what we will get. I explained my situation that I intend to use it in April for the remining kits, and they say they CANNOT do any exchanges, refunds, etc. What we received is it! 

• Like 1

Thanks the ones I have will work find for our intended use.    We wanted them in case we show any symptoms  and also to self test near the end of our first cruise on a B2B just to make sure we will pass the celebrity one at the end of the first cruise.

Question for the 2packs-$69 kits.....will it allow you to create 2 accounts (to be used by 2 people) for the proctoring purpose? I'm afraid that only 1 account is allowed, so that means we're going back to square one, having to buy the 6 packs from e-meds ($150) - which allows the creation of up to 3 accounts. But then expect to be able to use them till the end of the year only. 

1 hour ago, ryansmousehouse said:

Wife and I just did this test for our Alaska cruise leaving this Friday... Great experience, minimum wait for the online proctor to watch and validate test... Did this on a laptop... Received results on app and email.. Printed both off sand printed the celebrity heath prodicals that show this test is accepted...69 bucks for two test including emed monitoring.....

Can you please tell me where you bought the $69 kit? Also can you create 2 account for proctoring? If e-meds would allow this kit to be used by 2 people, that would be great, so it will only come out to $35 per person, which is much cheaper than getting the $150 6 packs (given it can pretty much be used till the end of the year).

Thanks.