BinaxNow Covid-19 Ag test card review and info

Smmessineo

57 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I just wanted to confirm with those that have done the test.    When ordering 2 kits is this ok to use by two people.

From what I remember reading I will have to create 2 separate accounts to do the tests.

I haven't taken the test yet, but I asked Optum customer support this exact question and they confirmed that the 2-pack can be used by 2 people.

rpht,

I copied this from another web site and saved it to my files. Don't remember that site.

We did our tests this morning and thought it was an easy process.  Since I wanted to use my laptop and wasn't able to get the Navica app on it, I was able to go to emed's website and connected to Navica that way. I'm not sure if you can do this through Optum.  I had already loaded the app on my phone and did the registration so I had my password to log on.  They check the audio, camera and network before you get started.  When my husband tried to do his after mine, it would only go back to my account so he opened up an incognito window and was able to log on.  It helped using the laptop because it was easy to aim the camera to see both myself and the counter top where the test was

21 minutes ago, jhagen said:

rpht,

I copied this from another web site and saved it to my files. Don't remember that site.

That description mirrors our experience this morning (testing for Saturday's Edge sailing).  The wait time for a proctor was less than 5 minutes.  My wife did her test right after mine.  You just need to log out of the site first and then log back in with the other person's email/password.  It was really easy.  We were both done in about 40 total minutes.  

• Like 1

I'm still trying to figure out how to aim the camera on my lap top so that it sees both me and the counter and not the key board. Ok, I played around with my camera on the laptop and got it angled to show me and the desk. Sometimes I hate tech.  Even though we have 6 kits I'm still thinking about going to CVS if they have times available.  The dates on our kits are Sept 24 on 3 and Oct 15 or so on 3.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

2 hours ago, jhagen said:

rpht,

We did our tests this morning and thought it was an easy process.  Since I wanted to use my laptop and wasn't able to get the Navica app on it, I was able to go to emed's website and connected to Navica that way. I'm not sure if you can do this through Optum.  I had already loaded the app on my phone and did the registration so I had my password to log on.  They check the audio, camera and network before you get started.  When my husband tried to do his after mine, it would only go back to my account so he opened up an incognito window and was able to log on.  It helped using the laptop because it was easy to aim the camera to see both myself and the counter top where the test was

This happened because your log in session wasn't signed out when you're done. You need to hot the back page button, find the person profile button (top right) and log out. 

Then your husband can log in using his own credential. 

Hope this helps other people. 

The home test sounds doable after watching the videos and seeing all your comments.  I have, however, decided(after 4 trips to different locations to confirm availability of proper test) to go with CVS.  As long as I can get the appointment for 11/18 they do the test and call once result is in and then I can go to the CVS store(approx. 1/2-1 hr) and they will print the report out.  They said the cost is zero.  If for some reason that does not happen there is an urgent care that has walk-in but it cost $150.

I have plenty of time to change my mind but want to let you all know what my options are.  I do not trust my ability to get it done at home without a lot of tension between the two of us, etc.

I ordered the tests on 9/29 and got a FedEx notification that my order had been shipped.

Now the strange part.   The kits were picked up in Hayward which is 30 miles away.   It went to Oakland and the alert I just got from FedEx is it would be delivered on Monday ---

I won't need the test until about 10/9 so no problem for me but wanted to alert those that were expecting faster delivery.    I think I could have walked over and picked it up faster.

Jim -

FedEx announced that due to lack of drivers, they are doing a lot of very peculiar routing of packages at the moment, many of them rather indirect.  Seems they are mostly making schedules, but doing it in some very round about ways.

6 hours ago, canderson said:

Jim -

FedEx announced that due to lack of drivers, they are doing a lot of very peculiar routing of packages at the moment, many of them rather indirect.  Seems they are mostly making schedules, but doing it in some very round about ways.

I can understand that but this just seems stupid and probably using more people.  

I just checked again and now showing It left Oakland (40 miles away) and is on it's way to Memphis before coming back to Oakland sometime this weekend.   

For me the total time since order will be 6 days from when ordered.    I will get in plenty of time but just crazy to see the routing.

7 hours ago, dazey said:

The home test sounds doable after watching the videos and seeing all your comments.  I have, however, decided(after 4 trips to different locations to confirm availability of proper test) to go with CVS.  As long as I can get the appointment for 11/18 they do the test and call once result is in and then I can go to the CVS store(approx. 1/2-1 hr) and they will print the report out.  They said the cost is zero.  If for some reason that does not happen there is an urgent care that has walk-in but it cost $150.

I have plenty of time to change my mind but want to let you all know what my options are.  I do not trust my ability to get it done at home without a lot of tension between the two of us, etc.

And I simply don't trust that CVS will not cancel the appointment at the last minute. The home test puts the onus on me and I'll have a CVS appointment for later in the day as a backup.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RichYak said:

And I simply don't trust that CVS will not cancel the appointment at the last minute. The home test puts the onus on me and I'll have a CVS appointment for later in the day as a backup.

We are doing the exact opposite. Made our appointment at CVS for 10/14 today and have the at home test as our backup. Might even get an appointment at Walgreens to have a third option. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

We are doing the exact opposite. Made our appointment at CVS for 10/14 today and have the at home test as our backup. Might even get an appointment at Walgreens to have a third option. 

Any plan that includes a backup works. The primary option is a matter of convenience.

22 hours ago, dazey said:

To bad CVS can not email your results or text.

We used local CVS here in NE Florida for our August cruise and they sent word both ways. Since that time they have stopped doing the Antigen test, although will keep checking and searching.

Looks like the proctored test for us.

Edited by jhagen

I just want to add my good experience with the eMed test.  

The kits came the day after I ordered them (which was a couple of weeks or so ahead of time, so no issue should they have come a little later).

The whole thing took around 25 minutes, and that included logging in to eMed for the first time.  The most awkward part of the whole process was having to partially close my laptop so as to angle the camera at the flat surface (so the proctor could see everything done), and that was awkward only because I also was trying to look at the instructions posted on the screen.

Results were available in the Navica app pretty much instantly, and a printable form arrived via email about 10-15 minutes later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DCPIV said:

I just want to add my good experience with the eMed test.  

The kits came the day after I ordered them (which was a couple of weeks or so ahead of time, so no issue should they have come a little later).

The whole thing took around 25 minutes, and that included logging in to eMed for the first time.  The most awkward part of the whole process was having to partially close my laptop so as to angle the camera at the flat surface (so the proctor could see everything done), and that was awkward only because I also was trying to look at the instructions posted on the screen.

Results were available in the Navica app pretty much instantly, and a printable form arrived via email about 10-15 minutes later.

Thanks for the review. 

Would it have been better if you could have slid the laptop WAY back away from you? Or do you think that would that have resulted in the proctor being too far away to adequately monitor? 

10 hours ago, D C said:

Thanks for the review. 

Would it have been better if you could have slid the laptop WAY back away from you? Or do you think that would that have resulted in the proctor being too far away to adequately monitor? 

Maybe push it back -a little-, so that I didn't have quite as severe an angle to look at the laptop.  Really, it would have helped to have the laptop on a higher surface so that I had a better angle. 

The thing is that the camera needs to be aimed at the test card pretty much all the time, as that's what they need to monitor to make sure you don't contaminate it.  You'll need to have it within reach, though, because they need to watch you swab your nostrils--just adjust it up and back down.

I'm afraid that I'm making this all sound more complex and difficult than it actually was.  The whole process was fairly easy, and it would be easier still if you watch any of the YouTube videos.  I hadn't seen any of those videos, so I felt the need to look at those illustrations.  Now that I've done it and know the process, I'm not going to worry at all about it next time.

OMG OMG, we got two test kits a week before we were going to cruise. My brothers test went without a hitch.

I went to do mine. Tried to put the 6 drops into the upper window and found the bottle was completely dry. Telehealth person saw my panicking and then caught on that I tried to switch to my brothers bottle and invalidated the test.

Then spent hours on hold with R/C and kit maker and pretty much told I am SOL.

Then the mass panic trying to find a place last evening how was willing to do a quick test and was turned away at each location.

I got an appointment today a a walk-in medi center were you pay 150 bucks for a quick PCR test and I am good to go.

I would highly recommend anyone who order these test to get at least 2 backup one. Sure your will wasting money but if you went through what I did after last night and the past 19 months it will be well worth it.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, defiant said:

OMG OMG, we got two test kits a week before we were going to cruise. My brothers test went without a hitch.

I went to do mine. Tried to put the 6 drops into the upper window and found the bottle was completely dry. Telehealth person saw my panicking and then caught on that I tried to switch to my brothers bottle and invalidated the test.

Then spent hours on hold with R/C and kit maker and pretty much told I am SOL.

Then the mass panic trying to find a place last evening how was willing to do a quick test and was turned away at each location.

I got an appointment today a a walk-in medi center were you pay 150 bucks for a quick PCR test and I am good to go.

I would highly recommend anyone who order these test to get at least 2 backup one. Sure your will wasting money but if you went through what I did after last night and the past 19 months it will be well worth it.

Thanks for sharing. 

DS and DDIL bought a 2 pack to use this week. I bought another 2 pack for our Nov cruise AND as a backup to theirs. Sounds like having a couple extra is a good plan. 

On 10/2/2021 at 11:16 AM, jhagen said:

To bad CVS can not email your results or text.

We used local CVS here in NE Florida for our August cruise and they sent word both ways. Since that time they have stopped doing the Antigen test, although will keep checking and searching.

Looks like the proctored test for us.

After reading this (and other posts) -- and then also suddenly thinking, "will they 'run out' or quit doing this before next month??" -- I had a fresh wave of "panic" and decided to order the Binax kit as a backup. Yeah another $75 for a 2-pack, but I paid thousands for my cruise. Drop in the bucket for a little more peace of mind.

My Walgreens here does not advertise quick turn-around, although I prefer their pharmacy. CVS does advertise it but their details aren't very clear (will they send email or text??), and of course no guarantees on anything? ..... thousand-yard stare ....... X-approved test kit now on order.

• Like 1

CVS just cancelled our Rapid Testing for this Friday 10/8 for our 10/10 cruise. Glad I have the backup tests from Optum. DON’T RISK booking with them, have backups. Seems like they have been cancelling these tests quite often. 

• Like 3