18 Nights Ovation of the Seas - (11 Sea Days) Will WE Be Sane at the End of the Cruise?

RCL Aficionado's: 

My wife and I are discussing a TransPacific cruise April '23.

We particularly like the itinerary with stops in New Zealand and Tahiti.

However we are retired (61,62) and have been looking at other cruises as well during the same timeframe. And I know not even in the same league but she has interest in a Viking Ocean cruise I explained that type of cruise is more destination oriented with less onboard activities.

When I showed her videos of the ship her response was that it was too baroque and that she would have no interest in North Star (gimmicky) Ripcord Fly, Bumper Cars etc...

As a sidebar we did the NCL Bliss 14 day Panama cruise and she did enjoy that ship so hopefully Ovation will stand the test.

I think she is sold on the Ovation but 18 days (11 sea days) can she be happy? Will we be sane by the time the ship reaches Honolulu LOL.

Last thing I ant to hear is "honey we never should've booked this cruise"

Any feedback would be appreciated, 

Ron

I haven't looked at the itinerary, but 11 sea days are fine if they are broken up by a few port calls.  The problem is the size of the Ovation will limit the port opportunities in the South Pacific.  I've crossed the Pacific 4 times and loved it.  The maximum days at sea in a row on those crossing was 8.  Not a problem for the old salts on those cruise on much smaller ships than the Ovation.  More activities than we could fit into a day.  The ports were heavy on  tendering which would obviously be a problem on a ship the size of Ovation.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, need2cruisesoon said:

Last thing I want to hear is "honey we never should've booked this cruise"

Yes, but it won't because she didn't like it, but all the hassles you'll endure between booking and cancellation.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

Back in 2019, I did this cruise but it was 19 nights.  It was one of the most relaxing cruises I've ever been on.  What we did too was book the 9 night NZ b2b also and stayed in the same cabin.  It was pure bliss IMHO.  There were plenty of things to keep you active, lectures in the 270 lounge/theater,  pools, bingo, trivia, naps, reading, talk with other guests, learning to play Sequence with friends from Australia and still in contact with them.  We did it because I didn't know if I'd ever get over there again.  Well worth the $$$.

• Like 2

if you do book, get a balcony so you can enjoy the view.

And they do more than bumper cars in the seaplex. and you can sit and enjoy the views and music which is easy listening radio stuff.

Then there is the front of the ship with the solarium.

In the end by taking some good books or word search, coloring adult books or other things like cards, you can keep entertained.   The back of the ship 270 is very relaxing as well and great to lunch.

Now if you think you would get on each other's nerves, then that is a different story.  11 days in a row at sea will require being able to relax and enjoy the ship.  good luck.  

Oh and Northstar is very nice.  She would I think in the end enjoy the view and it does not shake.  It is very steady and great views of the ship from above.   I mean, I did the BLISS and those race cars were something I watched and enjoyed without actually doing.

• Like 2

I don’t get bored on the transpacific routes, even on the smaller ships (I am booked on this TP). 

Definitely book at least a balcony though, check in with your roll call friends, and I like at least the 3 night dining package for longer cruises (a change from MDR). 

Also you might like to check the NZ cruise preceding the TP if you want to see more NZ, makes a great b2b.

• Like 1

My husband is a busy body. No way, no how would he last on a cruise that long with that many sea days.  I'm a relax, chill and enjoy the sea days type of cruiser. I love sea days so I'm chomping at the bit to retire and be able to go on a TP cruise.

With that being said, what type of cruiser is your wife?  Is she high maintenance?  Can she relax and enjoy time ON THE SHIP?  I would definitely splurge and get the largest suite I could afford, wi-fi and UDP.  Does she have a hobby that she can do on the cruise, i.e. reading, knitting, crafting, scrapbooking, etc.?

Practice and do a 7 day B2B and see how she does on the cruise with port days and sea days.  If she struggles with the B2B that might be your answer. Maybe take a 7 day, and then add a day and try an 8 day, then 10 day, etc. to see how she handles it. You're not cruising until 2023 so that might be idea and you have time to try it.  I would hate to get someone on a ship for that long and they go coo coo for coco puffs. 😜  If she's miserable then you're going to be miserable as well. 

Edited by cynt
  • Like 2

We really enjoyed the TP we did many years ago and will do it again.  We like to relax on the sea days and don’t find it boring at all.  
If you’re travelling east from Sydney, it will be quite cool for the first week.  I’d suggest a balcony on the port side, where you will get more sun.  

• Like 1

Transpacific has always been my dream cruise. I’ve been on 3 transatlantic cruises and loved them immensely. I retired at the end of 2019 and was never able to take my retirement transpacific cruise. Need to start planning that one soon….better late than never! 

• Like 1