Pacific Adventure dry dock:

Thanks Possum for explaining some of the history about Port Fairy.

I never would have guessed that was how the town got it's name.

My home town was named after the muscles in the brook (boring)

Port Fairy has a much interesting and entertaining story behind its name.

Hopefully one day I will get to go there by car or by ship and see the pretty township for myself.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sewgood said:

Good thinking outside the box.

Sounds great, I would go for a 5 day scenic cruise to Lord Howe.

Even better if they extented it by a couple of days to go to Eden.

A nice walk up to the Whale museum sounds nice.

11 hours ago, Rassa said:

That would be just fine with me.  Doubt NSW and Vic will close the border to each other with numbers (small I hope).   Dan said we open at 80%.

I sent a email off to Royal Caribbean’s Gavin smith and he actually replied.

I suppose he has nothing else to do.

He said it would be a great idea as they have a lot of sea days with the proposed coming season.And possibly Norfolk Island.

But he said we need permission from the federal government first.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

I sent a email off to Royal Caribbean’s Gavin smith and he actually replied.

I suppose he has nothing else to do.

He said it would be a great idea as they have a lot of sea days with the proposed coming season.And possibly Norfolk Island.

But he said we need permission from the federal government first.

Therein lies the problem. I doubt Norfolk Island would want 3000 people to descend on them either.  They control the numbers on NI.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Therein lies the problem. I doubt Norfolk Island would want 3000 people to descend on them either.  They control the numbers on NI.

Before covid, P&O used to drop in on Norfolk Island now and then. I don't think that many got ashore owing to the seas around there, but I'm pretty sure some did.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NSWP said:

15 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Before covid, P&O used to drop in on Norfolk Island now and then. I don't think that many got ashore owing to the seas around there, but I'm pretty sure some did.

Scenic cruises was the idea.

If we get a ship in Sydney or Brisbane as proposed I doubt there will be interstate cruises. 
So instead of going nowhere ,a lap around lord Howe and or Norfolk .

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

Sorry Porky55,  Cruise Critic, did not tell me anyone else had replayed and your post only showed up the next day.

Do you have any photos of Encounter (Star) dry dock and refurb, can’t seem to find any other than the P&O logo?

• 1 month later...

I love seeing these photos! We just booked a 4 nighter on her in feb after our ovation cruise was cancelled. 
Did anyone here sail on her when she was golden princess? We booked a suite (yay!) but I have no idea what cabin number it is. I think PO allocates the cabin at the pier? Haven’t sailed PO since the Jewel in 2010….

25 minutes ago, lesands77 said:

I love seeing these photos! We just booked a 4 nighter on her in feb after our ovation cruise was cancelled. 
Did anyone here sail on her when she was golden princess? We booked a suite (yay!) but I have no idea what cabin number it is. I think PO allocates the cabin at the pier? Haven’t sailed PO since the Jewel in 2010….

We sailed on her when she was the Golden Princess. For cabin allocations, in my experience, P&O usually allocate them at least a week before the cruise and sometimes well ahead. It would cause chaos if they only allocated cabin numbers at the pier. They need virtually everyone to have their luggage tags filled out with the cabin number on. I suggest you check your P&O 'Cruise Control' occasionally. You might find you have a cabin number already. 🙂

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

We sailed on her when she was the Golden Princess. For cabin allocations, in my experience, P&O usually allocate them at least a week before the cruise and sometimes well ahead. It would cause chaos if they only allocated cabin numbers at the pier. They need virtually everyone to have their luggage tags filled out with the cabin number on. I suggest you check your P&O 'Cruise Control' occasionally. You might find you have a cabin number already. 🙂

Good ship Golden Princess, well she was, I hope P&O have not 'butchered' her.  We did Buenos Aires to LA - Around Cape Horn on her in 2014.

I bet she has had additional bunks fitted to make family cabins as they did with Regal Princess - Pacific Dawn. It impacts on public area space.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lesands77 said:

We sailed on her twice in 2018 - to the islands early in the year and then to NZ in November, both from Melbourne. We loved her and would consoder sailing on her again. Hopefully her conversion to P&O hasn't spoilt her.

If the photos are anything to go by, she looks simply lovely - P&O have just “dressed her up” 👏👏

Seems to have the same number of berths, perhaps someone else will know for sure?

GOLDEN PRINCESS:

D0E1FF9C-E997-49A8-8670-6D42D72A1438.jpeg

PACIFIC ADVENTURE:

1CF0D9E2-3B2C-4631-9D84-7504D87C0DAA.jpeg

Edited by Porky55

I notice that on P&O's info in Porky55's post( #49 ) it gives the capacity in the number of lower berths not total beds.

While the information for the Golden gives it in passenger numbers.

This may make a difference in the berths though I'm not sure.