Jim_Iain - 9/5 and 9/17 Equinox B2B - Come along for a Live Blog

Jim_Iain

19 hours ago, BridgeMates said:

Is Port Side still the Smoking side on Deck 5?  Appreciate all the info and pictures while waiting our turn to go!

Yes still port side.    Port side on Lawn Club but Starboard on Pool Deck adjacent to Pool Bar.

16 hours ago, Arzeena said:

We were thinking about St Lucia mainly. But went to inquire about it in general.

Yes.   St. Lucia restricted dock shopping area only.   Restricted to 11:00 - 3:00 only.     Temperature is being taken if leaving the port on a curated tour. 

They have a HARD CURFEW AT 4:00 PM

We are the first ship to dock since the resumption of sailing.

17 hours ago, CeeeKr said:

Hi Jim... been enjoying your posts, as always. We were happy to see that Andrea is back on board as Hotel Director for your trip. If you happen to see her again during your adventures, can you pass along greetings from the Kerrs from Orlando (Kerr as in the jar, not the car). We'll start our b2b Summit next week out of Miami and your posts have amped up our anticipation several notches!

Will do so.    Arno and JoAnne asked me to pass on their regards a couple days ago.   Andrea was so happy to hear they are well and enjoyed the greetings.

Jim

Will they do anything on board to mark the 20th anniv of 9 11 ? 

On past cruises  our Caps have done so..

Solemn day here!  We must never forget!

We always look for the tear drop memorial ( gift ftom Russia) in Bayonne

thumbnail.jpeg-21.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

Just watching the 911 moment on TV.    I can't believe how raw it can still be and I broke down and shed some tears when they rang the bells for 20 years ago to the minute the first plane struck the tower. 

image.jpeg.34721687b055e803620f07cd292a1344.jpeg

We posted at the same time..listening for names of friends we lost!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I guess the folks at St Kitts have a plan when the Equinox arrives on Sep 14th. Will be interested to hear if it's any more of a "bubble" than the other Caribbean ports you'll be visiting.

Port Zante to Become a Bubble for Arrival of Celebrity Equinox on September 14 – ZIZ Broadcasting Corporation (zizonline.com)

Bubble is so tight we are not permitted to even schedule a Private Journey.   Restrictions on which tour operators can do what.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, brickellcruiser said:

Thank you so much Jim! Would love to know about private dining room options. We are Peloton fanatics, so would be interested to know if we can really get a bike in the Penthouse suite. Would make things a lot easier and force us to keep our exercise routine while onboard. 

Will update when I  find out.

15 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

No filters.    I took a course on iPhone photography and how to adjust exposure, contrast, saturation, depth of field  etc.  the course was on the social media site.   

Really learned incredible thing like framing and using reflections.  

Great. I may check into those.  Thanks!

Here’s a couple pics in port today.  We aren’t doing any excursions as we don’t think the social distancing is enough as we don’t want to take any chances to miss our b2b.  It was easy and they had space to separate people getting on the excursion, but they missed the opportunity.  There is so much room on the pier to social distance.  Shopping area doesn’t open until 11, so we will see how crowded that gets with limited time to get off the ship.

D8EDCA54-5E7C-432F-9B57-42ACBF3748C5.jpeg

F47715BE-6BA3-437C-A10F-696C82FA4842.jpeg

78EB0DCF-3D4D-466D-9293-600A20DBEC87.jpeg

DB12D2C2-ECFA-4062-8C71-147BC7699FFC.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Just watching the 911 moment on TV.    I can't believe how raw it can still be and I broke down and shed some tears when they rang the bells for 20 years ago to the minute the first plane struck the tower. 

Still raw for me as well. My Dad worked at the World Trade Center for many years, and I worked there 2 summers with him as a file clerk when I was a teenager. We know several people who died that terrible day. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, funatseascott said:

Just some pics to share.  For the foodies, we were at Tuscan Grill last night.  It was so relaxing and good conversation with my wife and staff, we probably stayed for over 2 hours.  The chef even came out to talk to us as Sophia ordered off the menu and the chef obliged.

F1405C38-1474-4034-BCB4-977B889649F9.jpeg

C1DB4372-0680-4798-8352-B33730B25F59.jpeg

8D06BBE4-93EB-49BF-A840-5F40E3CE5F2F.jpeg

5049BB14-4DEB-4560-93F9-6B8D05E5C152.jpeg

F1D0AF6F-76F6-46E4-8623-BC1B9C36E743.jpeg

D5F15C3F-8ABE-487D-855B-14A7F402E46E.jpeg

Thank you for sharing.  We have reservations at Tuscan Grill the 1st night.  Which do you prefer between the Tuscan Grill and Murano's.  So excited to join you on the 17th.  

14 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Wonderful.    I will definitely be be posting lots of pictures to share.    She look beautiful. 

I'm planning a Murano dinner for some friend aboard and was going to ask if we can get the Wine Cellar Room off the main dining room.    Iain previously did that to celebrate my birthday.   It was very intimate.    I think it will sit 8 but will update on that when I find out if they will do it.

They have the Chef's Table (Chef B's Menu) there tonight.

Jim, have you tried the Chef's Table?  I've thought about it but just haven't yet.  

16 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I do.    I did it by building up to it.   

After retirement I found I was putting on wait just sitting on my butt.  I bought a Fitbit and with the 100 steps an hour reminder.   I use to just get up walk back and forth in the living room.   

I next started to walk down to the end of the block and back which was 1 mile.   I then started a challenge with a fried.    I just kept stretching the walk and built up to 25,000 steps.  

My ultimate destination is one of 2 Starbucks where I stop for a cappuccino.   

At first I thought that a mile was an incredible achievement.  

I bought Iain one and he does 10,000 steps a day    

That's great!  I've put on weight during Covid.  I worked from home and sat alot.  We recently retired and I'm trying to focus on my health.  I'll try some of your techniques.  

We'll be arriving in FLL next Wed.  Are the ubers readily available from the airport and from hotel to port?  I've heard that in some cities there are shortages.  

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

@Happy Cruiser 6143   I checked on the iPads last night -

Confirmed the Ipad's are 2019 Version 7.    I'm guessing it is stock they had on hand when the lockdown began.

The Pro he said is not Generation dependent and the price and the  prices are prices are $799 and 949 depending on memory

Thanks for checking!

@39august    I checked yesterday and they DO NOT have any crossword puzzles.   They say they were temporarily discontinued to reduce touch points.

Jim… on the 8/27 Equinox my husband inquired at the front desk on deck 3 and was able to get printed crossword puzzles and sudoku for me… daily.  FYI.

Loving following you… Kathy

Yes.   St. Lucia restricted dock shopping area only.   Restricted to 11:00 - 3:00 only.     Temperature is being taken if leaving the port on a curated tour. 

They have a HARD CURFEW AT 4:00 PM

We are the first ship to dock since the resumption of sailing.

????

We were there in August on the Equinox. No restrictions at that time except for curfew at 4 you mentioned, and on weekends it was 6 pm.

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Rushing to get  posts out before we leave on our tour.  Internet is good and I  just uploaded the 56 megs of pictures of dinner and menu in less than 2 minutes.

We ordered off of both menus -

Iain started with the Butter Lettuce salad and I had the Spinach Turnover (Main Dinner Menu). 

For main courses Iain had the Fresh Pasta and Shrimp and I had the Veal Cordon Blueu.   I would so the veal was so so but HUGE.    I could only eat half of it.

For desert,   Iain had his usual an Bailey's on the Rocks and I had Butter Pecan Ice Cream

She bought us a pallet cleaner again.   Be  careful for what you ask.

Enjoy your private tour.  I am also looking forward to hearing about the experience.

I am sure going to miss not having the two menus on our first Edge Class cruise next month.

Just curious as to why you do not dine more often in one the Specialty restaurant, since you have the option at no charge.  I am guessing you put a lot of value in the expanded menu options?

When on the Solstice Class ships with unlimited included speciality dining, we review all the menus in advance and firm up our Specialty Dining options based on the Luminae and MDR menus.

Enjoy

Congratulations on winning the PH bidding.

Edited by jagoffee

On 9/10/2021 at 5:27 AM, SonuvaBeach said:

You might want to add  JAMES CRUMLEY to your list of authors. Really amazing books, filled with unique characters and plot lines. Crumley was an accomplished poet, and his descriptions of places and events are vivid, lovely, often gritty, and heartbreakingly realistic.  Crumley takes the concept of the anti-hero to a whole new level. The only problem with the CRUMLEY books is that they really should be read in order.

Since everyone is making recommendations, consider anything by Tim Dorsey or Carl Hiassen for some good laughs about Florida. Hiassen's Skinny Dip is a classic about cruising...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Getting off the Ship -

Been advised that in each of the restricted ports passengers will be permitted off the ship into a restricted shopping area inside the port.   This will be the same in the next two ports.

St Lucias is fairly restrictive.    You can only go ashore between 11-3:00 and recommended to be back on ship by 3:00.     At 4:00 pm they have a HARD CURFEW and all business must be closed and people off the streets. 

Where is the pvt journey tour?  Which island? That seems like something we would be interested in, for the few ports where we may get off the ship....Did you arrange with Excursion Dept or Suite or other Concierge?

On St Lucia we docked outside the city area. I recall limited shopping stalls and a bar/ burger place, it was awhile ago.  Once or twice  there we took excursions , Pitons are a must ( beach snorkel  with water view), land based..roads quite winding....but last time there we grabbed some tee shirts  and lunch at the pirt locations. Enjoy!