Rccl now requires a covid19 test within 2 days of sailing!

DJChick

6 hours ago, SushirollQueen said:

I called Royal Guest services and they said they will have testing at the pier.  Not sure on price because it still in the early process.

As of right now their written announcement only states testing available at cruise terminal for children ages 2 thru 11 for US sailings.

I wont believe until they make an official announcement that it would be available for anyone.

I personally want test results before I drive or fly to a cruise.  I would be devastated to find out positive at. Cruise terminal and cannot fly back home.   Yes some with pre-cruise plans will be impacted.

The at home test option is a great option.

• Like 1

thank you everyone re the info for the at home tests.  We had to use about $550 of air credit by November so we initially booked a 5 day carnival cruise which just got cancelled out of mobile so we switched to Adventure out of Galveston in November where some Texan family members are joining us.  We were worried about trying to obtain a test with results in 2 days.  I just ordered the Abbott test and will take prior to our pm flight from PHL to IAH the day before cruise.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jean87510 said:

thank you everyone re the info for the at home tests.  We had to use about $550 of air credit by November so we initially booked a 5 day carnival cruise which just got cancelled out of mobile so we switched to Adventure out of Galveston in November where some Texan family members are joining us.  We were worried about trying to obtain a test with results in 2 days.  I just ordered the Abbott test and will take prior to our pm flight from PHL to IAH the day before cruise.  

Good for you, I think that’s the right approach.

I myself will be on Liberty for Thanksgiving 

On 9/3/2021 at 6:31 PM, royalnewbie said:

Seems like it is taken care of and you will not lose any money....through Dec 31, 2021

Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 6.30.48 PM.png

That only applies if you test positive.

NOT if you do not get your test results in time.

Just now, SRF said:

That is very vague.  Maybe specify and give links to actual RCI policy?

The at home proctored tests offer testing from your home 24 hours a day, with a certified result in 15 minutes. 

“I didn’t get my test results” or “I couldn’t get an appointment for a test” are no longer viable excuses. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The at home proctored tests offer testing from your home 24 hours a day, with a certified result in 15 minutes. 

“I didn’t get my test results” or “I couldn’t get an appointment for a test” are no longer viable excuses. 

That was NOT the point of my comment.

The post I quoted stated that you were OK if you did not get your test results, as they would refund.  But they info they quoted was for those who tested POSITIVE, not those without test results.

• Like 1

I’m sorry if this has been already asked. I have no doubt in my mind I will have trouble with the in home test. Yes,I know it’s easy,that doesn’t matter,I’m never successful without a lot of attempts and do overs along with frustration,high blood pressure and oftentimes tears. Not only will I have to get past my ignorance with technology,my cell phone signal is sketchy at best so the call could drop. That being said, can you do I trial run? Maybe a week or two before the real test. Get them on the phone and see how it works? How much do the tests cost? Yes,I could wait and get tested at the dock when they offer that but if for some reason I came up positive, my insurance policy would not cover me...I don’t think. I believe we need to know if we can not sail before 48 hours of departure. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SRF said:

That was NOT the point of my comment.

The post I quoted stated that you were OK if you did not get your test results, as they would refund.  But they info they quoted was for those who tested POSITIVE, not those without test results.

You asked for me samples, I gave examples. 

I am sorry but your comment gave me the impression that you felt Royal Caribbean should have a refund option in place for those that do not receive their test results in time, I completely disagree with that stance.

I apologize if I misinterpreted the initial sentiment. 

Just now, not-enough-cruising said:

You asked for me samples, I gave examples. 

I am sorry but your comment gave me the impression that you felt Royal Caribbean should have a refund option in place for those that do not receive their test results in time, I completely disagree with that stance.

I apologize if I misinterpreted the initial sentiment. 

I did not make any judgement statement.

Just that the quoted information did not apply to people who did not get their test results back in time.

So for everyone saying how easy this is, its not for us. We sail on Monday Sept 13th. We fly in on Sat Sept 11th. We were told of the CDC new rquirement on Friday Sept 3rd about 4 pm local time. 

I got online ordered the 2 pack tests from Optum, and they have yet to ship due to the holiday.. The emed tests are only sold in 6 packs. 

The Optum test MIGHT make it to us in time, but might not. The 6 packs I can pay extra for overnight shipping, if I have to, but not until Tuesday (due to the holiday) 

I thought I finally found a test kit at Samsclub. Drove out and bought 2 (2- 2 packs in case we messed one up) only to get home and realize they were NOT the right test. 

The tests can ONLY be purchase online at Optum and eMED. So, since everyone got the news about these at roughly the same time, those cruising in Oct, Nov Dec all went and bought kits, and those of us cruising in 10 days, are stuck. Optum says they are in short supply and hope they can get us ours out, but make no promises.. says however they can help me cancel (gee thanks).

I've tried to find a CVS anywhere near Seattle that does testing, NONE available. No Walgreens either. There are a couple dodgey looking sites that do rapid tests, at over $175 per person. But that might be literally our only option. 

I realize this is a CDC mandate, but 10 days is cutting it way to close for us. We're not able to test until we get to Seattle, and with the Holiday it wasnt enough time to buy and receive the tests in time before we go. 

Its totally got me stressed out. 

In just this instance, Royal could have given those of us effected for this first cruise, and only 10 days option, some sort of testing at the pier, or at least saved some test stock for us so we can legit purchase on our own and get them shipped in time. 

Now its like the TP shortage.. those with cruises way later than ours have bought all the kits and in turn we might not be able to even cruise as a result! 

Beyond frustrating.. 

I've uploaded the app in advance, and when I scanned the QR code on the wrong tests, this pic popped up. I've attached it here, hopefully it will help someone else out to not even bother trying to buy from any store. 

Wish us luck... I hope we can go. 

Binax test.PNG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruising in mn said:

So for everyone saying how easy this is, its not for us. We sail on Monday Sept 13th. We fly in on Sat Sept 11th. We were told of the CDC new rquirement on Friday Sept 3rd about 4 pm local time. 

I got online ordered the 2 pack tests from Optum, and they have yet to ship due to the holiday.. The emed tests are only sold in 6 packs. 

The Optum test MIGHT make it to us in time, but might not. The 6 packs I can pay extra for overnight shipping, if I have to, but not until Tuesday (due to the holiday) 

I thought I finally found a test kit at Samsclub. Drove out and bought 2 (2- 2 packs in case we messed one up) only to get home and realize they were NOT the right test. 

The tests can ONLY be purchase online at Optum and eMED. So, since everyone got the news about these at roughly the same time, those cruising in Oct, Nov Dec all went and bought kits, and those of us cruising in 10 days, are stuck. Optum says they are in short supply and hope they can get us ours out, but make no promises.. says however they can help me cancel (gee thanks).

I've tried to find a CVS anywhere near Seattle that does testing, NONE available. No Walgreens either. There are a couple dodgey looking sites that do rapid tests, at over $175 per person. But that might be literally our only option. 

I realize this is a CDC mandate, but 10 days is cutting it way to close for us. We're not able to test until we get to Seattle, and with the Holiday it wasnt enough time to buy and receive the tests in time before we go. 

In just this instance, Royal could have given those of us effected for this first cruise, and only 10 days option, some sort of testing at the pier, or at least saved some test stock for us so we can legit purchase on our own and get them shipped in time. 

Now its like the TP shortage.. those with cruises way later than ours have bought all the kits and in turn we might not be able to even cruise as a result! 

Beyond frustrating.. 

I've uploaded the app in advance, and when I scanned the QR code on the wrong tests, this pic popped up. I've attached it here, hopefully it will help someone else out to not even bother trying to buy from any store. 

We don't sail until February but I need to get this all sorted out before I make final payment in November. I already changed our flights so we can take the test at home on day 2 either the emed or at CVS then fly the next day. Then I will need to worry about the weather flying from Michigan to LA. Oh and did I mention we are in the "older people shouldn't go on a cruise" group whatever that means.😬

Can you tell me how much the emed 6 pk costs?

3 hours ago, cruising in mn said:

Beyond frustrating.. 

Binax test.PNG

I was in Seattle in July and they were offering testing at the airport. I don’t recall the price. Maybe a backup option?

The Optum test MIGHT make it to us in time, but might not. 

If your purchased the two pack from Optum, and they were in stock, I'm very confident that you will get it by Wednesday.  They know that these tests are time critical.  We ordered from Optum and it took a few days for them to ship.  But it was shipped FedEx Overnight.

If you don't receive the order by Saturday, you can always use the Cruise with Confidence policy and cancel for a FCC.  

So for everyone saying how easy this is, its not for us. We sail on Monday Sept 13th.

Economically, the following is the worst option, but at least it might give you a back up option. Not sure what your home airport is, but many do testing at the airport and you don't need to be flying that day--again, not super helpful if you live a distance away from airport, but it's a way of getting the test in time and knowing result before flying to destination airport. Hope it works out--super frustrating! 

1 hour ago, Lorey2007 said:

We don't sail until February but I need to get this all sorted out before I make final payment in November. I already changed our flights so we can take the test at home on day 2 either the emed or at CVS then fly the next day. Then I will need to worry about the weather flying from Michigan to LA. Oh and did I mention we are in the "older people shouldn't go on a cruise" group whatever that means.😬

Can you tell me how much the emed 6 pk costs?

Good luck. This whole pre cruise testing requirement is a moving target. Like they say, stay tuned...". We don't cruise until March (B2B). Way to early to go into panic mode. I'll make final payments when they are due in December. We are going! Flying from the west coast to San Juan. Taking a red eye (bummer)and arriving the day before the cruise, doing a one night ore cruise hotel stay. 

Edited by davekathy

47 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

If your purchased the two pack from Optum, and they were in stock, I'm very confident that you will get it by Wednesday.  They know that these tests are time critical.  We ordered from Optum and it took a few days for them to ship.  But it was shipped FedEx Overnight.

If you don't receive the order by Saturday, you can always use the Cruise with Confidence policy and cancel for a FCC.  

I ordered mine from Optum last Thurs and received them on Fri.  We ordered two more on Saturday to have as backups and while we haven't received a shipped notice yet, we should get them tomorrow.  Holiday does impact it, but they are quick..

For those stressed over a sailing next week. Make an appointment at Seatac for a quick test. It will cost you, but it will give you a backup plan if your  tests don't arrive in time.  That's the plan that Tony from LaLidaLoca is doing, he ordered from optum and will cancel his Seatac appointment if things work out. I wish RC and all the cruise lines would be crystal clear and say 'order through emed or optum--nothing else taken at home is valid!'.  If have changeable airline tickets, you could also ask to switch your sailing to the Ovation or Serenade for the following week. I got a ridiculously low solo rate for the Ovation on the 17th, and already got a refund on my sailing on the 3rd and ended up saving $800 or so. I just ordered from Optum this morning and have an arrival date of Sept 7-8, so I don't see any reason why you won't have tests in hand to do within the 2-day window, even if you do it in Seattle. Still, I'd make an appointment for the testing at Seatac as a backup, and if that fails, they were sending people to urgent clinics who didn't have a valid test, so that would be a backup to your backup. If you search for ParoDeeJay on youtube, they are a cruise couple who did a video of the entire test process, including problems and important tips, and it made it look super simple for me. 

53 minutes ago, BND said:

I ordered mine from Optum last Thurs and received them on Fri.  We ordered two more on Saturday to have as backups and while we haven't received a shipped notice yet, we should get them tomorrow.  Holiday does impact it, but they are quick..

I ordered a 2 pack on Aug 28th. Poster Ryano had stated they were out, although we could still order and were billed. My original date to receive was Aug30/31. They finally shipped on Sept. 2, but have been sitting in a facility 10 miles away since the 3rd. It says delivery date is tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, brookmill18 said:

Economically, the following is the worst option, but at least it might give you a back up option. Not sure what your home airport is, but many do testing at the airport and you don't need to be flying that day--again, not super helpful if you live a distance away from airport, but it's a way of getting the test in time and knowing result before flying to destination airport. Hope it works out--super frustrating! 

We fly out, 6 am Saturday from Minnesota. No testing options open here prior to boarding. We land in Seattle at 8:45 am. So the airport in MN is out. I know about the Seattle airport option, I had an apt and cancelled it b/c it was $250 per person. AND I had 4 apts on the Friday before we leave,  in our town. 2 at lunch on Fri and 2 at dinner on Fri (that was my back up to my back up) but obviously had to cancel those as well since it was 3 days out. 

We totally can do an urgent care option I suppose in Seattle.. if it comes to that. 

We cant change our plans, or move the cruise out, have to work so thats not an option for us. 

Optum said they are "having issues" I've called twice already since Friday. They say its in the warehouse the issue is, they didnt know if that meant the shipping part, or the in stock part, but either way they said they arent sure if we'd get them in time (in our case the 10th) even though we ordered on the 3rd.. 

I asked if they could overnight, I'd even pay for it, they said no. Thats not an option. 

The only thing is, they said once it does ship, I'd get a tracking #, then could see when it will arrive and if its too late, they can see if they can refund us our money (b/c we'd not need the test, and also tests are temperature controlled, so they'd sit on our porch for 10 days while we are away so I'm sure they'd no longer be viable) but 50/50 since they have a no refund policy in place. 

I can possibly buy the 6 pack, its about 200 with overnight fee. Which is probly what we'll do versus do an airport test for 250 each... 

I plan to wait until tomorrow and see if Optum ships, if they dont, I'll go with eMED and pay the $200 for the 6 tests. Which just chaps me to no end.. 

Still! This is the crap we have to worry about now.. And its not easy 😞

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rj59 said:

For those stressed over a sailing next week. Make an appointment at Seatac for a quick test. It will cost you, but it will give you a backup plan if your  tests don't arrive in time.  That's the plan that Tony from LaLidaLoca is doing, he ordered from optum and will cancel his Seatac appointment if things work out. I wish RC and all the cruise lines would be crystal clear and say 'order through emed or optum--nothing else taken at home is valid!'.  If have changeable airline tickets, you could also ask to switch your sailing to the Ovation or Serenade for the following week. I got a ridiculously low solo rate for the Ovation on the 17th, and already got a refund on my sailing on the 3rd and ended up saving $800 or so. I just ordered from Optum this morning and have an arrival date of Sept 7-8, so I don't see any reason why you won't have tests in hand to do within the 2-day window, even if you do it in Seattle. Still, I'd make an appointment for the testing at Seatac as a backup, and if that fails, they were sending people to urgent clinics who didn't have a valid test, so that would be a backup to your backup. If you search for ParoDeeJay on youtube, they are a cruise couple who did a video of the entire test process, including problems and important tips, and it made it look super simple for me. 

NVM

Edited by not-enough-cruising

7 hours ago, Ocean Cat said:

can you do I trial run? Maybe a week or two before the real test. Get them on the phone and see how it works? 

I did an at home test (the kind that is not proctored, therefore NOT accepted by Royal) both before and after doing the Proctored test. It is the same test (same steps) as the Proctored one. 

So one option if you really want to do a dry run is to do an at home test to familiarize yourself with the process. I bought that one at CVS, though they are sold out around me now (and we have several CVS'). Or you could do a trial run with the Proctored test if you have extras. 

But, it's not too difficult. Once you do one, you will be familiar with all the parts. 

As to spotty internet - could you drive somewhere that has better service? You really only need a flat surface. The proctor will tell you what they want to see, and if you can just click the link to get the proctor, you don't have to do anything else technology wise.

They give you three things in the test: 

1) The test itself

2) A dropper with solution 

3) The swab

The directions are on the card: 

Open it

Put 6 drops of solution into the top hole

Swab your nose

Stick the swab through the bottom hole, spin 3 times, close, and wait 15 min. 

It was a bit intimidating at first, but it is really that simple. And the proctoring piece is just having someone watch you do it. 

Good luck. 

Edit - the pics are of the non-proctored test, but same test/steps. 

20210906_175813.thumb.jpg.08cd65f40b07436b89c596b050dfeb6a.jpg

20210906_175823.jpg

Edited by cruizzing
Clarification
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1