COVID-19 Testing Locations and Prices in Canada

ilovetotravel1977

41 minutes ago, cruiseamm said:

$20 Rapid Antigen - Ontario and Alberta Walmart locations

https://www.walmart.ca/cp/shop/asymptomatic-covid-testing/6000203002155

At least in my local Walmarts, not available yet (likely just getting it set up). 

I anticipate demand will be high so I plan to book a couple of appointments in different locations in case of the cancellations which I read about often in Florida at CVS and Walgreens. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Lovely to see the number of competing stores now offering tests, and the price drops since SDM started offering tests at $40.

Also gives you a true sense of the cost of the test, if others can offer it for half the price and still make a profit, even if smaller.  Wonder if SDM will lower their price or be happy to get out of the business? 

• Like 1

YVRDeals have a good list of sites doing testing for travel purposes, sorted by price. Until Shoppers Drug, Walmart or costco get their act together and start offering BC residents the same pricing Ontario gets.....

https://yvrdeals.com/antigen-and-pcr-testing-in-bc

best one right now is:

JC Health

price: $65
locations: Surrey

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scottbee said:

YVRDeals have a good list of sites doing testing for travel purposes, sorted by price. Until Shoppers Drug, Walmart or costco get their act together and start offering BC residents the same pricing Ontario gets.....

https://yvrdeals.com/antigen-and-pcr-testing-in-bc

best one right now is:

JC Health

price: $65
locations: Surrey

Thanks I’ve been researching sites so we don’t have to drive into Vancouver to be tested and can get the cheaper antigen.  And get the results before we drive across the border.  
The disparity in prices really needs to be addressed when Alberta and Ontario pay so much less than we do, and the tests are provided by the same chain stores we have in BC.

Our Premier and many others (us included) would like to see the test to return discontinued, we’d be happy to get tested within 24-72 hours at our local site.

1 hour ago, Sprocket said:

Thanks I’ve been researching sites so we don’t have to drive into Vancouver to be tested and can get the cheaper antigen.  And get the results before we drive across the border.  
The disparity in prices really needs to be addressed when Alberta and Ontario pay so much less than we do, and the tests are provided by the same chain stores we have in BC.

Our Premier and many others (us included) would like to see the test to return discontinued, we’d be happy to get tested within 24-72 hours at our local site.

I was searching for more reasonably priced testing and found LifeLabs which seems to have recently started offering a number of testing options in B.C.  It appears to operate mainly out of Shoppers Drug Mart locations and they charge $60.00 + tax for a rapid antigen test.  Here is the link to their website;

Predeparture – LifeLabs 

Regards,  Paul

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, paf225 said:

I was searching for more reasonably priced testing and found LifeLabs which seems to have recently started offering a number of testing options in B.C.  It appears to operate mainly out of Shoppers Drug Mart locations and they charge $60.00 + tax for a rapid antigen test.  Here is the link to their website;

Predeparture – LifeLabs 

Regards,  Paul

Wishful thinking unfortunately

"Rapid Antigen Service is only available at 30 International Blvd., Etobicoke, ON."

I feel like we need a(nother) grassroots system set up similar to the one from earlier this year for Vaccine Hunters.  This one could be Rapid Antigen Testing for Travel Hunters.... where can you get it and availability.  These are proving difficult to find.  At some of the local Walmarts I now see appointments, but there is like one appointment at 9:00 a.m., one at 2:00 p.m. and one at 8:00 p.m.  So, I get maybe they are only getting a few tests kits in and want to spread the hours around a bit but ... hope this improves over the next couple of weeks.  Costco is now showing a bit more availability also.  Hope next week sees even more openings as we are travelling early November.  (Coincidentally planned and our fingers had been crossed for several weeks/months!) 

Edited by Josie201
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Josie201 said:

I feel like we need a(nother) grassroots system set up similar to the one from earlier this year for Vaccine Hunters. 

A dedicated Twitter account would be a good place to launch this.  Twitter is where VaccineHunters.ca has achieved its widest communications success. 

• Like 1

This was one of the headline news in Ottawa at the 6pm news yesterday. 

"How to find an antigen test" and "What testing is needed"

I think that over the next few weeks it will get better and we wil have a lot more choice because companies are realizing the money they can make.

With that said I'm off tonight to go to Costco/Walmart/Shoppers in Kanata to see what I can find out.

I will report back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, K_e_short said:

I think that over the next few weeks it will get better and we wil have a lot more choice because companies are realizing the money they can make.

With that said I'm off tonight to go to Costco/Walmart/Shoppers in Kanata to see what I can find out.

I will report back.

If you get a chance, could you ask if the same guidelines for these stores apply to their east end stores? I know that store opening hours may vary, but what about hours for testing or other test-related guidelines. Many thanks!

6 hours ago, K_e_short said:

I will report back.

Well if someone had told me two years ago that my night out of the house would involve visting a bunch of Costco's, Walmarts, and Shoppers Drug Marts - I would have laughed.

This is what I found

1 - Walmart - I went to 2 stores and both of them had no idea what I was talking about. I even showed the website with the info to the 2nd store and nothing. No info about testing. No info about booking.

2 - Shoppers Drug Mart - they book 6 days in advance and can do as many appointments as there are tests. She couldn't tell me how many tests they get nor how fast they fill up. I was told I had to call the store as there is no online booking system. 

3 - Costco (FOR THE WIN) - I went to the Merivale store as the one in Kanata didn't do testing. The pharmacist said you book online. This is the website:

https://costcopharmacy.ca/appointment

You pick your store then pick "vaccination". I found it confusing as I was looking for an option for "testing."

Some stores are listed as giving vaccination but when you scroll down and it says "covid 19 asymptomatic antigen testing" it brings you back to the main site and says "this store does not offer testing." That is the case with the Gloucester location.

When you get to the booking section it looks like it only goes out 9 days or to the end of the next week. They only give out testing Monday to Friday 9:00 - 7:30pm, which sounds like when the store is open. I played around with a few random stores and it seems they are all doing that.

CONCLUSION

I will be logging into the above website a few weeks before my cruise to see if the avaiblility changes from the 9 days/1 1/2 weeks. I will then book online the moment Dec 24th becomes ready to book.

Oh and with Costco it was confirmed, again, that you do not need a membership.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Of course not available in BC at Costco.  It is so frustrating when it is so readily available with multiple options in Ontario and Alberta and locations outside of Vancouver are few and far between and expensive.   Happy at least some people can take advantage and get tested for a reasonable cost.

I have an appointment at Costco tomorrow for the flu shot I'll ask if they have heard whether or not it will be available here anytime soon.  Fingers crossed!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sprocket said:

Of course not available in BC at Costco.  It is so frustrating when it is so readily available with multiple options in Ontario and Alberta and locations outside of Vancouver are few and far between and expensive.   Happy at least some people can take advantage and get tested for a reasonable cost.

I have an appointment at Costco tomorrow for the flu shot I'll ask if they have heard whether or not it will be available here anytime soon.  Fingers crossed!

I will say that the pharmicist I spoke to joked and said "do you really think you'll need a test in December?" He was hinting/hoping that the requirement will be dropped.

Hopefully that will happen as it is stressful, and pretty unfair that different provinces are handling this in very different ways.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

I will say that the pharmicist I spoke to joked and said "do you really think you'll need a test in December?" He was hinting/hoping that the requirement will be dropped.

Hopefully that will happen as it is stressful, and pretty unfair that different provinces are handling this in very different ways.

It would be nice but I don't think the cruise lines will drop the requirement by December.  At least we can now drive across and fly from Bellingham which is so much easier even with crossing the border.  Well as of November 8th we can. Flying from the US we shouldn't need a test but we'll get it done in the morning and have our results before we leave their parking lot lol.  

Hope Canada quickly realizes how unworkable requiring a PCR test for Canadians to return is going to be, and costly for those returning who don't know about the ArriveCAN app and show up without it.

Edited by Sprocket
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, K_e_short said:

First, thanks for all of your research last night. What should have been a straightforward response from each location turned into a bit of a dog's breakfast. Oh well, nothing is ever easy in the world of COVID.

Turning to the issue of different handling in different provinces, particularly different pricing, one question that comes to mind is what qualifications are required to give vaccinations or tests in the various jurisdictions. At an SDM, for example, does it have to be a licensed pharmacist or can it be someone with lesser qualifications and a lower pay scale? If so, do BC SDMs' higher prices reflect a higher paid staff of vaxxers and testers than their counterparts in Ontario?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, K_e_short said:

Well if someone had told me two years ago that my night out of the house would involve visting a bunch of Costco's, Walmarts, and Shoppers Drug Marts - I would have laughed.

This is what I found

1 - Walmart - I went to 2 stores and both of them had no idea what I was talking about. I even showed the website with the info to the 2nd store and nothing. No info about testing. No info about booking.

2 - Shoppers Drug Mart - they book 6 days in advance and can do as many appointments as there are tests. She couldn't tell me how many tests they get nor how fast they fill up. I was told I had to call the store as there is no online booking system. 

3 - Costco (FOR THE WIN) - I went to the Merivale store as the one in Kanata didn't do testing. The pharmacist said you book online. This is the website:

https://costcopharmacy.ca/appointment

You pick your store then pick "vaccination". I found it confusing as I was looking for an option for "testing."

Some stores are listed as giving vaccination but when you scroll down and it says "covid 19 asymptomatic antigen testing" it brings you back to the main site and says "this store does not offer testing." That is the case with the Gloucester location.

When you get to the booking section it looks like it only goes out 9 days or to the end of the next week. They only give out testing Monday to Friday 9:00 - 7:30pm, which sounds like when the store is open. I played around with a few random stores and it seems they are all doing that.

CONCLUSION

I will be logging into the above website a few weeks before my cruise to see if the avaiblility changes from the 9 days/1 1/2 weeks. I will then book online the moment Dec 24th becomes ready to book.

Oh and with Costco it was confirmed, again, that you do not need a membership.

Thanks so much!  This is really helpful info. We are in Ottawa and are driving to New Jersey on November 13th for a cruise on the 14th. 

I was just out getting groceries at our local, small-town Your Independent(Carleton Place). Got my flu shot and talked about covid etc. They give Covid vaccines now and also do Covid testing for travel( rapid antigen test). Wow! That will be so convenient if they still do it in February when we cruise.

Edited by OVgirl
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, OVgirl said:

I was just out getting groceries at our local, small-town Your Independent(Carleton Place). Got my flu shot and talked about covid etc. They give Covid vaccines now and also do Covid testing for travel( rapid antigen test). Wow! That will be so convenient if they still do it in February when we cruise.

Thats good to know. I know the Shopper's Drug Mart up the road also does antigen testing but glad that they have some competition.

• Like 1

I had my rapid test done at Costco this morning, $16.99 each (no tax) and results in 15 minutes while you wait. It was quick and easy. But they were busy with flu shots as well, and only doing appointments (no walk ups for any of the vaccines or tests). Feels good to be done that step and ready to fly to the US Monday (not for a cruise). 

• Like 4

Found some more information for those around the Ottawa Area

1 - Walmart does have online booking. I found it by accident but not all the Walmarts showed appointments. It looked like Carleton Place and Kemptville were the only ones

https://portal.healthmyself.net/walmarton/forms/Dpd#/

2 - I alo found this company that does tests for $40. You can book up to 2 months ahead of time. They are closed on Christmas Eve so that doesn't help me but can help others who want to book now and not wait

https://www.pcrtraveltestontario.com/site/home

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Forecheck said:

Any idea if Cruise lines will perform a test on the last day of a Cruise to accommodate  flights out the day of disembarkation?

Many do. This has been discussed on this forum.

You would need to go to the specific cruise line website to see what they say.