Change in policy for dining reservations?

kpjb

I'm 120 days out from my cruise, which normally means I can make dining reservations.  When I go to make them, only the first day of the cruise is available.

In the past I could book the whole cruise 120 days out from embarkation day, but it seems now that each specific day is available 120 days in advance... so I'm going to have to do this for the next 7 days.

I've never encountered this before.  Is this the way it works now, or is it a glitch in the system?

50 minutes ago, kpjb said:

I'm 120 days out from my cruise, which normally means I can make dining reservations.  When I go to make them, only the first day of the cruise is available.

In the past I could book the whole cruise 120 days out from embarkation day, but it seems now that each specific day is available 120 days in advance... so I'm going to have to do this for the next 7 days.

I've never encountered this before.  Is this the way it works now, or is it a glitch in the system?

There have been various issues with booking meals reported on here lately. I’d say that any issues are much more likely to be glitches than policy changes at the moment.

53 minutes ago, kpjb said:

Just call the general reservation number and make your reservations with a live person (gasp). Don’t rely on the online system. Others have already called and are gobbling up tables. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2

Same issue for my Jan 2022 cruise on the Escape.  I contacted the Haven Concierge and they didn't have access either and didn't know why.  They put an advance request in for the reservation I was requesting.  Will see how it goes and keep an eye out online as well.

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Just call the general reservation number and make your reservations with a live person (gasp). Don’t rely on the online system. Others have already called and are gobbling up tables. 

I honestly did not know you could do that!  I thought my options were online or on the ship.  Thanks.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, kpjb said:

I honestly did not know you could do that!  I thought my options were online or on the ship.  Thanks.

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

USUALLY you can- but I think I may be on the same sailing as you (or at least one close) I am on a Jan 9 2022 cruise and I went online to book today and can only book the first day for any dining so I took Bird's advice and called the NCL reservation line and talked to someone and she was unable to book for me either. She said it was strange and probably a glitch and to check back. She also said it may have to do with final payment now being 60 days and not 120, but I don't know that I would put much weight in that statement. I also tried the online chat and they stated the same thing that bookings were only showing the first day for them as well. I also can not book any shows. 

• Like 1

Just now, eileeshb said:

I’m due to be on Epic in a little over a month and no entertainment or specialty dining can be reserved. I suspect they’ve suspended pre-booking due to the ever-changing covid regulations at the various ports. 

That stinks if so 😞 I like to have a plan ahead of time but it's not a deal breaker. If I just get to get on the boat I'll be happy!

5 minutes ago, NCLGirl2013 said:

That stinks if so 😞 I like to have a plan ahead of time but it's not a deal breaker. If I just get to get on the boat I'll be happy!

Apparently on one of the ships one of the shows got cancelled for the week due to crew members testing positive for covid. It’s possible that’s also a factor, if someone from the kitchen staff for a particular specialty dining venue tests positive I’d expect their colleagues in that kitchen to likely be quarantined. 

2 hours ago, eileeshb said:

I’m due to be on Epic in a little over a month and no entertainment or specialty dining can be reserved. I suspect they’ve suspended pre-booking due to the ever-changing covid regulations at the various ports. 

Is the Epic a European itinerary?  I've heard that even if you had reservations that they're being canceled for European cruises, and you can only book on the ship.  This is due to (as you mentioned) the changing covid regulations, distancing/capacity/etc.

I went onto chat to make dining reservations for the Joy in January; I had no problem with them helping me make the reservation, what I had problem with was findinding availability.  I was told that they only 20% of reservations are open for pre-booking.  No Cagney's availability anytime for pre-booking at this time!  Was told to make the reservations when we get on the ship, there would be more availability then.

51 minutes ago, kpjb said:

Is the Epic a European itinerary?  I've heard that even if you had reservations that they're being canceled for European cruises, and you can only book on the ship.  This is due to (as you mentioned) the changing covid regulations, distancing/capacity/etc.

Yep, western Mediterranean…. Lots of unhappy guests as we’ve been told we have to use NCL excursions at the Italian ports, and  most have to have a covid test on the ship before we get to Spain in addition to the pre-boarding test. 

4 hours ago, victory2020 said:

How do you cancel a reservation? I booked for the first night but I think I want to change it but can't figure out how - I don't want to be a no show!

Unfortunately there is no way to cancel a dining reservation online. You have to call NCL for them to change it for you.

• Thanks 1

I'm on the Dawn January 2, 2022

I can only book the first 7 days of an 11-day cruise. I called and the agent couldn't book the last few days, either. I think it is a glitch. I was 120 days out when I called, and our final payment had been moved to 60 days... and that did not impact my ability to reserve dining. 

On 9/11/2021 at 6:44 AM, kpjb said:

I was FINALLY able to book today! I'd try again  if you haven't already 

2 hours ago, Hadacareer said:

we are 80 days out on the getaway and still unable to book online

Same.  Maybe it has to do by ship.  We have 2 sailings on Getaway in November and December and dining reservations have been locked out since we were supposedly able to book (Club Suite) 125 days out.  Was told on phone this policy was "through January."

1 hour ago, ECCruise said:

Same.  Maybe it has to do by ship.  We have 2 sailings on Getaway in November and December and dining reservations have been locked out since we were supposedly able to book (Club Suite) 125 days out.  Was told on phone this policy was "through January."

Same for us.  I called about being unable to book reservations on Getaway for early January.  The agent tried and couldn't book anything so he put me on hold to talk with a supervisor.  He came back and  I was told there was a "stop sale for dining" on all Getaway cruises into January.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NCLGirl2013 said:

I was FINALLY able to book today! I'd try again  if you haven't already 

OK, I went on and booked Ocean Blue for 1/10, and everything else is still only letting me book for 1/9. 

That was the important one for me, because I've never managed to get in there yet.  I tried every other upcharge and complimentary restaurant, though and they're all only available 1/10 with the exception of Savor which is "not available".

Thanks for the heads up, though.  Really glad I got the Ocean Blue reservations.

• Like 1