Anyone that tested positive on an X sailing care to respond to how they were handled?

RICCruisers

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I don't really think that in the USA the Assistance plan would apply until you check in for your cruise and then test positive on the ship.  Or you are with somebody that tests positive.  I don't see how the cruise line would compensate you other than FCC if you tested positive in the port city prior to check in.  Kind of on your own then I think.  Does anybody have any better information or real example?

The only written document is the Covid-19 Assistance Plan itself to be found on the Healthy At Sea page of the Celebrity website. It is pretty straightforward.

It provides a refund for anyone (and their party) who tests positive within 14 days of embarkation. It provides a pro-rated refund for anyone who tests positive during a cruise. It also provides for medical treatment on board, land-based quarantine if necessary, and transportation home for anyone who tests positive during a cruise. Period.

The point is that are real examples of how cruise lines have provided assistance outside the stated policy on several occasions. We won’t have better information until it happens in a US port and someone makes that information known to the larger public. 

Edited by Babr

13 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Rick, you definitely need to go on a cruise, maybe even a B3B! It’s funny, once we embarked on the Edge that first day, all of this stuff started to move to our rearview mirror. Just saying … 😎

Thanks Ken.  I truly believe you.  I regret not signing up for one of the early care-free cruises on Celebrity EDGE before all the madness started again.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Thanks Ken.  I truly believe you.  I regret not signing up for one of the early care-free cruises on Celebrity EDGE before all the madness started again.

On the positive side - at least with the recent approval by Celebrity of the home testing kit, you have options.

Here's one idea. Buy two 2-pack Home Tests, one for your DW and one for you. Take the first test at home prior to departure to make sure you both test negative. Then, pick up your rental car and start your drive to the cruise port, whichever port that might be, if you don't want to fly. Then take the second test while in route since the certification process is via video conference by way of a cellphone with the certified technician. Then the 2 day window shouldn't be an issue. I know it's a pain. But think of the memories you'll be making. It's just an idea ... 😎

Optum Store | Optum Store

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

On the positive side - at least with the recent approval by Celebrity of the home testing kit, you have options.

Here's one idea. Buy two 2-pack Home Tests, one for your DW and one for you. Take the first test at home prior to departure to make sure you both test negative. Then, pick up your rental car and start your drive to the cruise port, whichever port that might be, if you don't want to fly. Then take the second test while in route since the certification process is via video conference by way of a cellphone with the certified technician. Then the 2 day window shouldn't be an issue. I know it's a pain. But think of the memories you'll be making. It's just an idea ... 😎

Yes good advice and we will do this to hit the 2 day window.  Our recent problem was due to the changes in requirements (again) after our trip was re-set once before.  When they went to 3 days we changed our dates, flights and hotel to accommodate.  A pain but still worth it.  Scheduled the tests.  But then the near last minute change to  2 days meant changing our entire trip a second time. And the Celebrity at-home test kit was announced several days later.   We had flights scheduled with airline miles.  No seats left the second time around.  Just unfortunate.  As of now everybody can just plan in advance for a 2-day window as you suggest one way or another.  We just got caught in the transition.  

19 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I expect Celebrity will extend the pre-departure COVID test requirement to include our October 9th sailing.  We are taking the train down to Florida Wednesday evening.  Our plan is to take a home test before we board the train; then (assuming we are negative) complete the proctored test when we arrive in Florida the following day.  

19 hours ago, TeeRick said:

This is a slippery slope.  Let's review.  In May CDC lifted most restrictions for the fully vaccinated.  Fully vaccinated people started cruising out of the US on Edge and Millennium with no testing required.  Then the CDC recommended in July due to emergence of Delta that even vaccinated people exposed to somebody that tested positive to COVID get a test "within 3-5 days". The cruise lines responded using "an abundance of caution" (according to the emails I received for my cruise from Celebrity) by putting the 72 hour test in place for the vaccinated.  Then because of the confusion they changed it to three days.  Then less than two weeks ago the CDC issued guidance on a change to two days - see CC link. 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/6444/

The cruise lines followed.  I got the "abundance of caution" email again (after several incorrect ones) switching my upcoming cruise to 2 days pre-testing.  The CDC is driving all of this.   But there is really no given cruise ship based data or reasoning going from 3 days to 2 days.  

In fact - this is what CDC says for airline and international travel - 3 days pretesting.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/international-travel-during-covid19.html

• Before you arrive in the United States:
    • All air passengers coming to the United States, including U.S. citizens and fully vaccinated people, are required to have a negative COVID-19 test result no more than 3 days before travel or documentation of recovery from COVID-19 in the past 3 months before they board a flight to the United States.
  • After travel:
    • Get tested with a viral test 3-5 days after travel.

So I ask again- Where did a 2 day recommendation come from specifically for cruise ships? Why change from 3 days?    No compelling data to support it !  So do you think they can go to only 1 day on a whim??  

All I can think Rick, is that since they are using Ag tests, and delta has a compressed incubation as compared to alpha, that they would catch a few more people by going to 2 days. 
The Ag tests are still poor at identifying asymptomatic infections, so I don’t get how they help, other than persons who “just have the sniffles” being caught as Covid positive- and there’s no way to know how many of those there are.

The part where I think CDC is being unscientific about this is in not factoring in the data and experience of cruising over the past few months when decisions were made. I guess they have to treat cruiselines as a monolith, where the experience and the financial imperatives of say Carnival and Celebrity are very different.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes good advice and we will do this to hit the 2 day window.  Our recent problem was due to the changes in requirements (again) after our trip was re-set once before.  When they went to 3 days we changed our dates, flights and hotel to accommodate.  A pain but still worth it.  Scheduled the tests.  But then the near last minute change to  2 days meant changing our entire trip a second time. And the Celebrity at-home test kit was announced several days later.   We had flights scheduled with airline miles.  No seats left the second time around.  Just unfortunate.  As of now everybody can just plan in advance for a 2-day window as you suggest one way or another.  We just got caught in the transition.  

I totally understand, especially with all of the moving parts you had to continually realign prior to embarkation day. Kind of takes all the fun out of getting ready to go on a cruise. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cangelmd said:

All I can think Rick, is that since they are using Ag tests, and delta has a compressed incubation as compared to alpha, that they would catch a few more people by going to 2 days. 
The Ag tests are still poor at identifying asymptomatic infections, so I don’t get how they help, other than persons who “just have the sniffles” being caught as Covid positive- and there’s no way to know how many of those there are.

The part where I think CDC is being unscientific about this is in not factoring in the data and experience of cruising over the past few months when decisions were made. I guess they have to treat cruiselines as a monolith, where the experience and the financial imperatives of say Carnival and Celebrity are very different.

There is always a way to try and understand their logic as you say about the incubation window perhaps.  But they will not catch asymptomatic cases with the rapid antigen tests and that is true for 3 days or 2 days.  But of course no evidence that it has even been a problem on cruises since June.  And why target only the cruise industry at two days?  I totally agree with your point about unscientific.  As I keep saying, Delta has been dominant for several months now in the USA and longer in other countries like the UK.  Where is the data for cruise ships specifically that would drive this change?  Cruise ships have been just fine with the current testing (3 days) and revised operations.  A few positive cases here and there.  Just in my county in PA we have been averaging over 100 positive cases a day- but almost all from the unvaccinated.  Our county is close to 70% 12+ being vaccinated.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 4:54 PM, TeeRick said:

I don't really think that in the USA the Assistance plan would apply until you check in for your cruise and then test positive on the ship.  Or you are with somebody that tests positive.  I don't see how the cruise line would compensate you other than FCC if you tested positive in the port city prior to check in.  Kind of on your own then I think.  Does anybody have any better information or real example?

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/travel-insurance/best-pandemic-travel-insurance/

Your example is why you need insurance.  Above is a ratings of insurance companies that cover this.

26 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Your example is why you need insurance.  Above is a ratings of insurance companies that cover this.

That link might rate its own thread. I recognize some of those as insurance companies, but have not read about many of them as travel insurance sources here on CC.

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

There is always a way to try and understand their logic as you say about the incubation window perhaps.  But they will not catch asymptomatic cases with the rapid antigen tests and that is true for 3 days or 2 days.  But of course no evidence that it has even been a problem on cruises since June.  And why target only the cruise industry at two days?  I totally agree with your point about unscientific.  As I keep saying, Delta has been dominant for several months now in the USA and longer in other countries like the UK.  Where is the data for cruise ships specifically that would drive this change?  Cruise ships have been just fine with the current testing (3 days) and revised operations.  A few positive cases here and there.  Just in my county in PA we have been averaging over 100 positive cases a day- but almost all from the unvaccinated.  Our county is close to 70% 12+ being vaccinated.

Agree, it is pure luck that rapid Ag tests are going to catch any cases in asymptomatic people.

I think there might be 2 things going on - one is to discourage people with mild symptoms from ignoring them and sailing anyway and second , maybe CDC wanted testing at the pier and Celebrity demonstrated why that was a bad idea in a spectacular fashion. ( although they might be able to make it work given more than 2 days to prepare ).

Posters here have talked about why don’t the cruiselines get together and jointly offer testing at the pier - I don’t think the finances of that work out, plus you can see from these threads and your experience Rick, that flying into the port is a big issue - you want to know if you are going to be denied boarding before you leave home.

We are in the uncomfortable transition period. Eventually, I think CDC will allow the ships to treat Covid more like Noro - isolate, contact trace, manage symptoms, don’t kick people off unless that person is truly ill. But there will be a number interim changing requirements before then.

Two advances in the pipeline that will help cruising are the nasal vaccine and the universal Covid vaccine - one because it should reduce transmission by vaccinated people and the other because it will generally decrease the danger of respiratory viruses.

3 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

Agree, it is pure luck that rapid Ag tests are going to catch any cases in asymptomatic people.

I think there might be 2 things going on - one is to discourage people with mild symptoms from ignoring them and sailing anyway and second , maybe CDC wanted testing at the pier and Celebrity demonstrated why that was a bad idea in a spectacular fashion. ( although they might be able to make it work given more than 2 days to prepare ).

Posters here have talked about why don’t the cruiselines get together and jointly offer testing at the pier - I don’t think the finances of that work out, plus you can see from these threads and your experience Rick, that flying into the port is a big issue - you want to know if you are going to be denied boarding before you leave home.

We are in the uncomfortable transition period. Eventually, I think CDC will allow the ships to treat Covid more like Noro - isolate, contact trace, manage symptoms, don’t kick people off unless that person is truly ill. But there will be a number interim changing requirements before then.

Two advances in the pipeline that will help cruising are the nasal vaccine and the universal Covid vaccine - one because it should reduce transmission by vaccinated people and the other because it will generally decrease the danger of respiratory viruses.

Carnival was thinking about offering antigen testing at the pier, but appears to be backing away from that idea.

Carnival Cruise Line Decides Not to Move Forward With On-Site Testing (cruisehive.com)

15 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

At least until Oct. 31, Celebrity is covering the expenses of quarantine and return travel for those who test positive during a cruise. Medical coverage for travel is always an important consideration, but I think the main concern here is what happens as a result of a positive test at the last minute when you are already in the port city.

In that case, Celebrity’s Assistance plan offers a refund, but there is no stated intent to provide other financial assistance for those who test positive before the cruise. For those who flew to the port, a return trip by air will have to be delayed.

The cruise lines have contracted hotels for the purpose of quarantine which may provide a reduced rate.

Insurance would cover those expenses under the trip delay/trip interruption sections. Most cover up to 150% of the cost of the trip. Some policies provide extra funds for quarantine.  

Forbes seems to have based their ratings on high dollar limits for medical coverage, but I’d look closely at the companies I’m not familiar with to be sure they have a good performance history.

13 minutes ago, Babr said:

At least until Oct. 31, Celebrity is covering the expenses of quarantine and return travel for those who test positive during a cruise. Medical coverage for travel is always an important consideration, but I think the main concern here is what happens as a result of a positive test at the last minute when you are already in the port city.

In that case, Celebrity’s Assistance plan offers a refund, but there is no stated intent to provide other financial assistance for those who test positive before the cruise. For those who flew to the port, a return trip by air will have to be delayed.

The cruise lines have contracted hotels for the purpose of quarantine which may provide a reduced rate.

Insurance would cover those expenses under the trip delay/trip interruption sections. Most cover up to 150% of the cost of the trip. Some policies provide extra funds for quarantine.  

Forbes seems to have based their ratings on high dollar limits for medical coverage, but I’d look closely at the companies I’m not familiar with to be sure they have a good performance history.

As others have pointed out there are large holes in the coverage of Celebrity's Assistance Plan.  If you test positive before the cruise.  If you fly to a foreign country and must be tested multiple times ...  The Celebrity plan only covers you while on the ship.  Not before or after.  The October 31st date is also a big concern.

3 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

As others have pointed out there are large holes in the coverage of Celebrity's Assistance Plan.  If you test positive before the cruise.  If you fly to a foreign country and must be tested multiple times ...  The Celebrity plan only covers you while on the ship.  Not before or after.  The October 31st date is also a big concern.

Only to the extent that a refund is granted to those who test positive before a cruise. Beyond that, I agree with you that insurance is in order.

These issues and their lack of true explanation are why we cancelled our Greece cruise on Silver Sea in October.  Nothing was really spelled out and our cruise ended in Italy, a country that says you must stay in quarantine until you have a negative PCR.  A neg PCR can take a very long time as it detects fragments and not active disease.  I was not willing to lose my job over a cruise.

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

I'm a newbie to the covid insurance discussion. I just used this tool to price out insurance for a future cruise. They give an option for cancellation and no cancellation coverage. Obviously they result in different costs. If you choose the no cancellation rate would the Celebrity covid plan cover the cancellation of the cruise part? In other words, does choosing no mean you'd be covered for the cost of hotel if you need to quarantine, cost of evacuation if needed, etc?

39 minutes ago, Babr said:

I saw this article when I was looking at travel plans for an upcoming trip. I ended up deciding against using these recommendations. 

1. It was very unclear what these policies would actually cover for covid. They didn't have "pandemic" specific coverage that I saw, just general travel policies with medical

2. The companies all sound great on the surface with 4*-5* reviews. But what I found when I read the reviews is that all the 5* ones came from people who were happy to have insurance coverage but didn't actually use it. All the reviews I saw where people actually made claims were negative. 

Insuremy trip also advertises covid specific policies and I think these are actually covid specific policies. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, kathynorth said:

I'm a newbie to the covid insurance discussion. I just used this tool to price out insurance for a future cruise. They give an option for cancellation and no cancellation coverage. Obviously they result in different costs. If you choose the no cancellation rate would the Celebrity covid plan cover the cancellation of the cruise part? In other words, does choosing no mean you'd be covered for the cost of hotel if you need to quarantine, cost of evacuation if needed, etc?

Remember that the Celebrity plan ends on Oct. 31 so you’d be covered only up to that date and only for a Covid cancellation. Also remember there are other reasons you might have to cancel that would not be covered at all. 

A comprehensive travel plan will cover medical and evacuation. The trip delay/ trip interruption part is intended to reimburse you for expenses to return home, but it may not cover the entire amount. Most policies pay up to 150% of your trip cost, but it may not be enough for a 10-day hotel quarantine, food, return air change fees, and miscellaneous expenses. There is a dollar limit unless you have a policy that specifically provides additional funds for quarantine, and that may have a limit as well.

On 9/14/2021 at 1:22 PM, TeeRick said:

The frustrating thing is that the CDC had very little reason to change testing advice from 3 days to 2 days prior. Just sticking it to the cruise industry again! There is/was no data from ships to indicate that things were not safe or there were outbreaks - or no more than a few occasional positive tests on board with 3 days advance testing in place and of course everybody vaccinated.

I agree the CDC has and will have an issue with cruise lines forever.   These tests are just for a moment in time too.    The change from 3 day to 2 has caused a lot of cancels and prices to drop.

The CEO of the cruise lines probably have voodoo dolls named CDC with pins stuck in them.

Gotta be a nightmare for all the lines.    Yet trains, planes, stadiums, and beaches and well lots of others places do not have to jump through same hoops.  I am still amazed one can get on a plane unvaxxed.    oh well we just have to deal with it.    And I wish we had other folks besides Dr Fauci because he is starting to bug me a lot.

• Like 2

I understand that Celebrity and others have covered expenses to repatriate those who tested positive on a cruise.  I also read the Celebrity plan to continue to do so through at least Oct 31.

Can someone tell me why my cruise docs for a cruise next week say otherwise?

f. Passenger Testing Positive for COVID-19 During Cruise. Passenger understands and agrees that if, after boarding, and even if Passenger has fully complied with all COVID-19 Policies and Procedures,
Passenger tests positive for COVID-19 or exhibits signs or symptoms of COVID-19, Carrier may disembark, refuse re-boarding after a shore excursion, or quarantine Passenger as well as members of
Passenger’s travelling party, or take other steps which Carrier determines, in its sole discretion, are necessary under the circumstances to protect the health and well-being of others. Under these
circumstances, any such Passenger with a known or suspected case of infection with COVID-19 who is disembarked, refused re-boarding, or quarantined shall be entitled to a prorated refund or future
cruise credit for the unused portion of the Cruise Fare. For further details, refer to Carrier’s refund and cancellation policy at www.celebritycruises.com. Each such Passenger is responsible for all other
related costs and fines, including without limitation travel expenses. Under no circumstances shall Carrier be liable to any such Passenger for any costs, damages or expenses whatsoever incurred by
any Passenger.

12 minutes ago, radarcruiser said:

I understand that Celebrity and others have covered expenses to repatriate those who tested positive on a cruise.  I also read the Celebrity plan to continue to do so through at least Oct 31.

Can someone tell me why my cruise docs for a cruise next week say otherwise?

f. Passenger Testing Positive for COVID-19 During Cruise. Passenger understands and agrees that if, after boarding, and even if Passenger has fully complied with all COVID-19 Policies and Procedures,
Passenger tests positive for COVID-19 or exhibits signs or symptoms of COVID-19, Carrier may disembark, refuse re-boarding after a shore excursion, or quarantine Passenger as well as members of
Passenger’s travelling party, or take other steps which Carrier determines, in its sole discretion, are necessary under the circumstances to protect the health and well-being of others. Under these
circumstances, any such Passenger with a known or suspected case of infection with COVID-19 who is disembarked, refused re-boarding, or quarantined shall be entitled to a prorated refund or future
cruise credit for the unused portion of the Cruise Fare. For further details, refer to Carrier’s refund and cancellation policy at www.celebritycruises.com. Each such Passenger is responsible for all other
related costs and fines, including without limitation travel expenses. Under no circumstances shall Carrier be liable to any such Passenger for any costs, damages or expenses whatsoever incurred by
any Passenger.

The ticket contract applies to all voyages except the ones temporarily covered by the Assistance Plan. The further details supplied in the link to Celebrity’s refund and cancellation policy at the website explain that the Celebrity Covid-19 Assistance Plan is in effect from April 28 through October 31. Those voyages are sailing under different terms for a limited time. If the plan is allowed to expire on Oct. 31, then the terms of the ticket contract will be in force.

• Like 1