Grandeur

napria

Hi all.  I had given up cruising after being horribly seasick on my last cruise (Silver Sea Spirit) about 2 1/2 years ago.  I had always wanted to try Regent though and had a cruise booked on the Navigator but heard that ship wasn’t necessarily the stabilist ship and then the cruise got canceled anyway. Now Regent’s soon to be launched ship, the Grandeur, has crossed my radar.  I’m seriously considering booking a Caribbean cruise.  Thoughts? (On the Grandeur, not on seasickness or returning to cruising)

Edited by napria
Clarity

Low suite in center of the ship is good as long as you're in your room....but when out and about, well, that would be a different story as public spaces are in various locations forward/central/aft.  We've sailed on both sister ships (Explorer and Splendor) and did not notice any particular motion issues.  Others have commented that the Mariner seems most stable - we've sailed on that one, too, and agree that she is quite stable.

I got the full Grandeur brochure today with all the pics and deck plans.  It looks far less bling than the Splendor, which is a good thing, but the big drawback for me is the shrinking outside deck space and Regent's bewildering refusal to provide a forward-facing outer deck. There is this big Observation Bar but no outside space, such as you get on the Seabourn ships.  Some of us like to see where we are going. This alone is enough to stop me climbing aboard this ship - that, and the same-old, same-old itineraries.

Edited by Fletcher

I have done 2 Transatlantic crossings on the Explorer, the Grandeur's "sister" ship. I think the ship rides much better than any other ship I have sailed (100+ cruises).

I would tell you to definitely avoid any cabin forward of the center of the ship and also be as low as possible. The most stable part of the ship is not the center, but under the smoke stacks, which are above the engines and the heaviest part of the ship, so about 2/3 of the way to the back. 

For the most part, the Caribbean is a big lake with minimal waves/swells and therefore almost no motion. As I write, we have been in the Crystal Serenity for around the Bahamas for the last week, and most of the time I can  it tell if we are docked or sailing. Seas have been under 1 meter.

But to be absolutely safe, I would avi anything during hurricane season, August to November. 

Lastly, take drugs before you board and go see the ships Doc if you feel the slightest bit sick. I have gotten sea-sick before a few times and it can be beyond miserable.

J

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Fletcher said:

I got the full Grandeur brochure today with all the pics and deck plans.  It looks far less bling than the Splendor, which is a good thing, but the big drawback for me is the shrinking outside deck space and Regent's bewildering refusal to provide a forward-facing outer deck. There is this big Observation Bar but no outside space, such as you get on the Seabourn ships.  Some of us like to see where we are going. This alone is enough to stop me climbing aboard this ship - that, and the same-old, same-old itineraries.

Thank you for your reply on the Grandeur!  This is the kind of thoughts and comments I’m looking for!

4 hours ago, JMARINER said:

I have done 2 Transatlantic crossings on the Explorer, the Grandeur's "sister" ship. I think the ship rides much better than any other ship I have sailed (100+ cruises).

I would tell you to definitely avoid any cabin forward of the center of the ship and also be as low as possible. The most stable part of the ship is not the center, but under the smoke stacks, which are above the engines and the heaviest part of the ship, so about 2/3 of the way to the back. 

For the most part, the Caribbean is a big lake with minimal waves/swells and therefore almost no motion. As I write, we have been in the Crystal Serenity for around the Bahamas for the last week, and most of the time I can  it tell if we are docked or sailing. Seas have been under 1 meter.

But to be absolutely safe, I would avi anything during hurricane season, August to November. 

Lastly, take drugs before you board and go see the ships Doc if you feel the slightest bit sick. I have gotten sea-sick before a few times and it can be beyond miserable.

J

Thanks.  I’ve heard all the advice about seasickness and how to avoid it, but it’s nice to know that the newer ships are more stable.  We always book on the lowest deck we can and mid ship.  I didn’t know about the stability being under the stacks/over the engines. Makes sense. Thanks.  We have a request for some specific suites.  I think we might push that request back a bit

The ships have stability planes that can be extended to minimize the roll side-to-side. It is up to the captain to make the call to use them or not. They cost the ship fuel economy and that is a very big line item he is accountable for so they do not always get used.

2 hours ago, Pcardad said:

The ships have stability planes that can be extended to minimize the roll side-to-side. It is up to the captain to make the call to use them or not. They cost the ship fuel economy and that is a very big line item he is accountable for so they do not always get used.

My expectation for the cruise we’re interested in is they wouldn’t be used.  We’re looking at February in the Caribbean.

Honestly, I’m not really concerned about the stability.  We requested Deck 6 (lowest guest suites), and the suites in the category we requested seem to be above the engine/under the stacks)

I’m more concerned with overall thoughts and impressions on sailing in the Grandeur, and A new ship in general.  TIA

18 hours ago, bitob said:

The ship is beyond gorgeous.  I just want to experience that ship for our first Regent cruise.  We are aiming at booking a b2b2b.

This will be our first Regent cruise. Looking forward to the gorgeous new ship and Regent’s next level of inclusiveness. (Shore excursions and flights!)

7 minutes ago, wishIweretravelling said:

One thing I don't care for in the Grandeur deck plans is that a plunge pool, rather that a swimming pool, is planned for the pool deck. 

Thanks for pointing that out. However, being a “few” years past doing my Mark Spitz impersonation,  sipping a nice cold cocktail in an Infinity pool works for me. This ship looks spectacular. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Gpilon said:

Thanks for pointing that out. However, being a “few” years past doing my Mark Spitz impersonation,  sipping a nice cold cocktail in an Infinity pool works for me. This ship looks spectacular. 

Plus 1

• Like 1

On warm weather cruises, I like a nice swim. I can do the cocktail in water thing in the hot tub. But I guess there's not enough of us who like a pool for them to deal with the weight-at-the-top-of-the-ship challenges that a pool full of water presents. It won't keep me from the Grandeur. It's just not ideal.

2 hours ago, Jimmcdaniel said:

After seeing your post, I looked at the deck plan. The "plunge pool" doesn't look any smaller than the pools on Explorer or Splendor. Maybe it will be like a lap pool?

I agree the pool looks normal sized. I think the description on the Deck 11 plan is wrong and is really meant for the other (Deck5?) pool:

INFINITY-EDGE PLUNGE POOL

Go for a swim, stay for the views. Wherever you are in our Infinity-Edge Plunge Pool the views are dramatic, as the pool contours to the stern of the ship.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Catpow said:

I agree the pool looks normal sized. I think the description on the Deck 11 plan is wrong and is really meant for the other (Deck5?) pool

Having an "infinity-edge plunge pool" on deck 11 does sound odd. Not sure that the views across the infinity edge in that location would be very inspiring 🤔

12 hours ago, wishIweretravelling said:

But I guess there's not enough of us who like a pool for them to deal with the weight-at-the-top-of-the-ship challenges that a pool full of water presents

They could always balance the weight with a heavy Tibetan prayer wheel on one of the lower decks 🙄  🤣  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Jimmcdaniel said:

After seeing your post, I looked at the deck plan. The "plunge pool" doesn't look any smaller than the pools on Explorer or Splendor. Maybe it will be like a lap pool?

I might be wrong, but I think I saw a preview picture or video (I know it hasn’t been built yet but Regent has preview videos out on YouTube).  If I’m not mistaken, the main pool is the same size as her sister ships, but the fore and aft areas of the pool have HUGE tanning ledges (very shallow ends).  About 1/3 of the middle is deep enough to swim in.  Again, I could be mistaken.

I'd agree that the text is describing the Infinity Pool on Deck 5 aft.  Hell, if Regent doesn't want to pay to redesign the Stairways to Nowhere or an outdoor observation deck forward, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't pay for a pool redesign.

Just my opinion.

10 hours ago, JMARINER said:

In my 4 Explorer cruises, I never saw the aft infinity pool filled more than half full. Nothing like in the brochure photos. Design flaw? Too much sloughing at sea? I don't know.

Is it fixed on the newer ships ?

J

It was leaking on the Maiden voyage...maybe it was not-repairable.

5 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Nothing is even like the brochures- the ship is nice but it all depends on the crew you get……….

It's always the people...it doesn't matter if the ship looks like a Roman Bordello or vibrates like a 2nd anniversary present...it is ALWAYS the people that make all the difference.

Remember to thank your crew!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1