Victoria Earthquake, anybody feel it?

NSWP

0915 this morning 22 September, an earthquake occurred about 100km east of Melbourne. Reported at between 56 and 6 on Richter scale?   At that time I was doing my morning walk and was on the new bridge, felt nothing.  But some of my neighbours felt a light shake.

Anyone else feel the earth move? 

The earth moved for me Les. Our house rocked and shook and an old clock which we don't have working because the ticking is so loud started up during the earthquake. Rob was in the shower and hit his head on the tiles. A few small things fell off shelves and the cutlery drawers were very loud! But no damage that we have found.

Did you feel it in Bateman's Bay? BIL and SIL in Albury and nephew in Canberra all felt it. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, possum52 said:

The earth moved for me Les. Our house rocked and shook and an old clock which we don't have working because the ticking is so loud started up during the earthquake. Rob was in the shower and hit his head on the tiles. A few small things fell off shelves and the cutlery drawers were very loud! But no damage that we have found.

Did you feel it in Bateman's Bay? BIL and SIL in Albury and nephew in Canberra all felt it. 

I did not, was walking for exercise on our new bridge, but couple of neighbours felt a light rumble.  I am very interested in earthquakes having experienced a massive one in Lima, Peru in August 2007 when we were visiting our son for a a month, like a 7.6. They are scary things.

Checking my house, I just noticed a few pictures on the walls have moved.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It was reported as being felt in Sydney but I didn't feel it and I'm used to earthquakes from my NZ days.

Goid to hear you're OK, Leigh, and have no damage. I hope everyone else in Melbourne are also OK. 

Thanks Julie, granddaughters were a bit scared and worried so son took them to the playground.

21 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Thanks Julie, granddaughters were a bit scared and worried so son took them to the playground.

It can be very scary, especially for kids. I experienced a few big ones in NZ when I lived there but usually in places a few hundred kms from the epicentres. The scariest one was when I was waiting for a bus in Wellington. All the buildings around me were swaying and the ground was moving under my feet. 

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It can be very scary, especially for kids. I experienced a few big ones in NZ when I lived there but usually in places a few hundred kms from the epicentres. The scariest one was when I was waiting for a bus in Wellington. All the buildings around me were swaying and the ground was moving under my feet. 

That would be scary Julie. It sounded, to start with like a big truck coming down the street, then like a big gust of wind which was when the house started to shake and then I realised it was an earthquake. 

17 minutes ago, possum52 said:

That would be scary Julie. It sounded, to start with like a big truck coming down the street, then like a big gust of wind which was when the house started to shake and then I realised it was an earthquake. 

I spent a lot of time working in Rotorua and there would be tiny earthquakes all the time. They do sound like trucks passing by. 

• Like 1

I hope everyone is okay. We live in an earthquake zone but haven't really had anything substantial here. There have been some close by but no damage here. I guess we will get something big at some point, it's just a matter of time.

I'm glad you and your family are okay Leigh and that you had no damage.

Be well everyone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, possum52 said:

Very glad that you and your husband are okay.  Sounded very scary.  Take care and be well!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BRANDEE said:

Very glad that you and your husband are okay.  Sounded very scary.  Take care and be well!

Thanks Brandee! We're all good. My elder grandson was still in bed when it hit (school holidays) and he was woken by his window rattling and then he realised the house was shaking. By the way, he (aged 13) had his first Pfizer jab this morning. His decision and very proud of himself.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Reports from all over NSW and Tassie too re the shake. It was shallow, only 10km, they are the dangerous ones.

The experts are saying there could be more earthquakes and of course tremours for weeks to come. Our neighbours have a holiday house close to the epicentre. They'll be worried about it I should imagine.

55 minutes ago, possum52 said:

The experts are saying there could be more earthquakes and of course tremours for weeks to come. Our neighbours have a holiday house close to the epicentre. They'll be worried about it I should imagine.

I read somewhere that there was very little damage in Mansfield itself.

3 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I read somewhere that there was very little damage in Mansfield itself.

True. Which I found interesting if not confusing as I assumed the epicentre would have most damage. The epicentre was south of Mansfield closer to Licola and Woods Point I understand. 

15 minutes ago, possum52 said:

True. Which I found interesting if not confusing as I assumed the epicentre would have most damage. The epicentre was south of Mansfield closer to Licola and Woods Point I understand. 

It must be something to do with how the shock waves move. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It must be something to do with how the shock waves move. 

And the location/direction of the fault lines. Reports came in from Central Coast, Newcastle and Coffs Harbour, long way from Mansfield, Vic.

• Like 1

Didn't really know about it was outside sweeping the path... and just heard a rumble...

The BH was inside heard a couple of things rattling.... We live in a concrete box... ground floor apartment concrete slab and ceiling ( floor of apartment above us ) is concrete as well as concrete block walls.....  no new cracks....   and picture have bluetack on the bottom corners

So   no thing really moved.... for us here

Don

• Like 1