COVID-19 Vaccine requirements?

twonpcb

I have seen conflicting information as to vaccine requirements to board a NCL ship.  Forget Florida, that’s a separate story…..can anybody confirm the vaccination requirements for non Florida departure ports?  Everything I have seen says that NCL requires passengers to be 100% vaccinated.  Is this true?

• Like 1

I'm hoping NCL gives us some clarity on boosters soon.

We are from the UK, booked on December cruise out of Florida.

Had two doses of AZ but now hearing the booster jabs could be Pfizer.

Wondering if the mixed vaccine rules applies to boosters

6 hours ago, twonpcb said:

I have seen conflicting information as to vaccine requirements to board a NCL ship.  Forget Florida, that’s a separate story…..can anybody confirm the vaccination requirements for non Florida departure ports?  Everything I have seen says that NCL requires passengers to be 100% vaccinated.  Is this true?

NCL cruises from Florida also require vaccination because NCL obtained an injunction preventing Florida from enforcing their law...so no...at least not for now Florida is not a separate story. All NCL cruises departing from any port through December 31 require vaccination.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, redlock said:

Are you hearing that you may be eligible for a booster and that the booster may be Pfizer?  I ask because the only conversation in the US around booster shots has been FROM Pfizer and that they had applied to the FDA in the US for approval/authorization for a 3rd "booster" shot, at least for some.  Right now, the only booster approval/authorization is for 65+ or those with underlying conditions.

There would be confusion for non-US folks as to if they would need a booster if they had a Pfizer vaccine in their home country and are in one of those groups.  There should be no confusion if you are fully vaccinated with an approved vaccine that has not yet applied for "booster" shots (only Pfizer has but J&J may be the next).

Edited by hallux

This is straight from NCL.com.  They are very specific about which vaccines are accepted.  100% vaccinated through the end of this year then re-assessing their policy toward the end of the year.  I booked our 9/26/21 cruise as soon as I heard they were running 100% vaccinated so no kids under 12.

2.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hallux said:

Are you hearing that you may be eligible for a booster and that the booster may be Pfizer?  I ask because the only conversation in the US around booster shots has been FROM Pfizer and that they had applied to the FDA in the US for approval/authorization for a 3rd "booster" shot, at least for some.  Right now, the only booster approval/authorization is for 65+ or those with underlying conditions.

There would be confusion for non-US folks as to if they would need a booster if they had a Pfizer vaccine in their home country and are in one of those groups.  There should be no confusion if you are fully vaccinated with an approved vaccine that has not yet applied for "booster" shots (only Pfizer has but J&J may be the next).

Seen it a few times on different news channels and online here in the UK.

That the over 50s would be offered a booster six months after their second shot and it would probably be Pfizer.

6 hours ago, redlock said:

I'm hoping NCL gives us some clarity on boosters soon.

We are from the UK, booked on December cruise out of Florida.

Wondering if the mixed vaccine rules applies to boosters

I don't think they are currently even interested in boosters, I would not even offer up unnecessary information, personally I would print off the two Pfizer records sheets from the NHS app and present them as that's all they ask for.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

I don't think they are currently even interested in boosters, I would not even offer up unnecessary information, personally I would print off the two Pfizer records sheets from the NHS app and present them as that's all they ask for.

Not today, they're not...

But as you know, things can change. 

If I'm offered a booster in November, I'll probably wait till after the cruise in December to take it.

Edited by redlock
  • Like 1

I sincerely doubt that NCL is going to change any of their vaccine requirements to include boosters as not every country is offering them or they are only being offered to limited populations. That may change next year, if they extend their vaccination requirement into 2022, but I can't imagine the will change anything for this year.

15 hours ago, twonpcb said:

Currently, all cruises, including Florida, require 100% of the passengers and crew to be vaccinated. 

13 hours ago, hallux said:

Yes, but it's not really enforced.  I got my Moderna booster from a large pharmacy chain.  Friends got theirs from different chains.  None of us have immune disorders and of our shots all predate the FDA approval (which is for Pfizer in any case.)  Last I read, about 2 Million Americans have received third doses.  Not all of those met the FDA criteria.  

Ultimately, when you ask a pharmacist, they'll tell you they're throwing doses out every day.  Yes, it would be wonderful if the demand from people needing a first dose was there, but that just isn't happening.  So they'd rather give someone a booster than toss the vaccines.

That being said, NCL certainly wouldn't mandate boosters given that a relatively small percentage qualify by FDA standards (Pfizer only, 65+.)

Edited by phillygwm

22 hours ago, twonpcb said:

Yes.

13 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

This is the same cruise line that banned children who couldn’t get vaccine. You better bet your bottom dollar booster will be required within the next 6 months for those who qualify.

Lets at least tell the truth without the misleading drama...

Nobody was banned, especially children. There is a requirement at this time that all passengers and crew have to be vaccinated....REGARDLESS OF THIER AGE. 

Has nothing to do with children, it has everything to do with a person's vaccination status.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, twonpcb said:

If "Everything I have seen says that NCL requires passengers to be 100% vaccinated", then what do you mean by "I have seen conflicting information"? 

If everything you saw says passengers are required to be vaccinated, then that is consistent, not conflicting.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Heymarco said:

This is the same cruise line that banned children who couldn’t get vaccine. You better bet your bottom dollar booster will be required within the next 6 months for those who qualify.

Children weren't banned but can't get vaccinated yet.  It'll be great to be able to try the stuff the screaming kids usually dominate like the water slide or galaxy pavillion or the race track and laser tag.  Maybe I'll even check out the arcade for once.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Heymarco said:

I chose to be concise. We can say NCL chose to make it impossible for children to cruise at this time if it will make everyone feel better. Doesn’t change end result.

I think you are spinning it because you feel that it's not right for them to do this.  Words can be used in different ways.  Their policy is consistent.  It's for the safety of the passengers and the crew, it's so that we don't wind up with what happened at the beginning of the pandemic with ships stuck at sea and no port would take them.  It's so they don't wind up with a couple of thousand passengers confined to their cabins when dozens of passengers get COVID.  I am sure that once the FDA approves vaccines for young children, that NCL would welcome them with open arms.  And, lastly, there are other choices to cruise where a certain number of cruisers can be unvaccinated, and that includes children.  You certainly have that option if you want to cruise with your kids.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Heymarco said:

I chose to be concise. We can say NCL chose to make it impossible for children to cruise at this time if it will make everyone feel better. Doesn’t change end result.

If you really want to be concise, then speak the truth: NCL has decided on maxium safety by only allowing vaccinated guests and crew onboard their ships. That is as concise as it gets.

Falsely claiming that children have been banned isn't concise, it is merely inflammatory overblown drama designed to mislead and stir the pot.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Heymarco said:

Children under 12 are banned from NCL by definition, regardless of justification. Even then, justification is weak as other cruise lines and the rest of the world have chosen better ways to accommodate children, but that’s another discussion.

Other cruiselines have chosen to let unvaccinated children sail, because they were willing to make compromises on health and safety, NCL wasn't. 

Also, you could argue that NCL cares for THE CHILDREN more than other cruiselines because they want to keep them safe and wait to welcome them onboard until they are vaccinated (which soon those over 5 will be able to get vaccinated)

• Like 8

11 hours ago, SeaShark said:

If "Everything I have seen says that NCL requires passengers to be 100% vaccinated", then what do you mean by "I have seen conflicting information"? 

If everything you saw says passengers are required to be vaccinated, then that is consistent, not conflicting.

This! I really hope the OP comes back to clarify the source of this 'conflicting information' that led to this thread because I'm genuinely curious; my personal theory is that they may be conflating vaccination requirements with pre-embarkation testing requirements/recommendations.

• Like 3