Pass The Parcel Or Pass The Buck – Why Australia Can’t Cruise While The Rest Of The World Is Enjoying A Renaissance

9 hours ago, stki said:

Yet Victoria, ACT and NZ locked down straight away and not able to contain it

ACT didn’t have a hard border with NSW but it managed to contain the first incursion of Delta from Sydney (genomic tracing). It was the subsequent 7 incursions that has proven to be difficult (5 from Sydney, 2 from Melbourne) as it has come and gone across the border to Canberra's surrounds and then returned again.

A hard border would have likely quashed it, but Canberra services more than just the ACT.

2 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Oh no  - what have we done? HAL Grand Voyages always went via Australia:

This is the 2024 Grand Voyage 

1059B082-D213-4FCD-9536-F3289666F732.jpeg

Looks like follow the equator line. I don't think its a World Cruise that cuts out half the world.

1 hour ago, icat2000 said:

Looks like follow the equator line. I don't think its a World Cruise that cuts out half the world.

Tailored for the Americans.  HAL call their longer cruises Grand Voyages, not real Worldies.

Edited by NSWP
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

There was a facebook page about this particular cruise. I looked it up again as I positive they use the word WORLD in it. Yeap. Right there. There was a lot of complaints in this FB thread too about it. 

Its a pretty oridinary intinerary. 

6 hours ago, NSWP said:

Tailored for the Americans.  HAL call their longer cruises Grand Voyages, not real Worldies.

image.thumb.png.89a88660d4f32144bc06e4487a53cba7.png

Edited by icat2000
  • Thanks 1

I consider a world cruise as one that starts and ends in the same port having circumnavigated the world. It doesn't really matter whether it stays in one hemisphere or not. 

What really annoys me are so-called world cruises that start in one port eg Miami and end somewhere in Europe. Just because they've gone the long way round, via the Pacific Ocean, instead of just crossing the Atlantic Ocean, doesn't make them world cruises. They are just extended repositioning cruises!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

I am not sure it has to be the same port ( although that makes more sense) but it should at least leave a country, travel around the globe and return to the same country 

I believe Magellan was a pioneer of that.

3 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I believe Magellan was a pioneer of that.

Officially that honour goes to Juan Sebastián Elcano and 18 surviving crew members😂. Unofficially it may have been Enrique of Malacca, Magellan's slave assuming after his escape he did make it back to Malacca.