The Daily for Monday September 27, 2021

richwmn

1 minute ago, dfish said:

It is an escabeche, but the fish is cooked first.  It calls for frying it, but I usually bake it.  Trying to save calories.

I am totally intrigued.  All my Spanish recipes call for uncooked fish and the marinade cooks them.  I haven’t heard of an escabeche that calls for the fish to be cooked first.  When and if you have time - please share - this could be a good one. 👍 

• Like 7

Escabeche de Pescado

This recipe originated as a way of preserving fish without refrigeration.  However, it is such a good hors d'oeuvre, it is worth making for its own sake.  Mackerel, caballa, is most commonly used, but escabeche can also be made with tunny, bonito, sardines, herring, bluefish, amberjack, grey mullet, eels, trout, red mullet and probably a host of other fish not listed here.  

2 kg mackerel                                                              2 cloves

flour                                                                               10 peppercorns

oil                                                                                    2 tsp paprika

1 head garlic                                                                  1/2 liter vinegar

100 ml oil                                                                       1/4 liter water

4 bay leaves                                                                   1/4 liter white wine

1 sprig thyme or 1 tsp dried                                        2 tsp salt

1 sprig oregano or 1 tsp dried                                     1 chili pepper (optional except for kazu)

Clean the fish and cut it into crosswise slices, or it can be filleted.  Dust the pieces with flour and fry in just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan.  Remove as they are cooked and let them cool, then place the fish in glass jars.  Add the remaining oil to the pan and in it heat the peeled cloves of garlic with the bay leaves, thyme, oregano, cloves and peppercorns.  remove from heat and stir in the paprika. Heat the vinegar, wine, salt and chili to boiling point, add the oil mixture to it and cook briefly.  Let it cool slightly and pour over the fish.  Cover and marinate for an least 24 hours.  Store refrigerated.  Serve at room temperature garnished with sliced onions, tomatoes and peppers.  

From Cooking in Spain by Janet Mendel

• Like 6
  • Thanks 7

Pork carnitas are on the menu for tomorrow night’s bon voyage dinner. We will return to CA and on to AZ for a few days to celebrate older sister’s 50 years of “wedded bliss”. Sister and BIL had hoped to host a large gathering but decided that a few family members in youngest sister’s backyard was the wise way. Grrr, to the pandemic…

Thanks to DD’s MIL, we will return to Kona in October for another week at one of her timeshares! Thankful. 🌴

• Like 13

55 minutes ago, dfish said:

Escabeche de Pescado

This recipe originated as a way of preserving fish without refrigeration.  However, it is such a good hors d'oeuvre, it is worth making for its own sake.  Mackerel, caballa, is most commonly used, but escabeche can also be made with tunny, bonito, sardines, herring, bluefish, amberjack, grey mullet, eels, trout, red mullet and probably a host of other fish not listed here.  

2 kg mackerel                                                              2 cloves

flour                                                                               10 peppercorns

oil                                                                                    2 tsp paprika

1 head garlic                                                                  1/2 liter vinegar

100 ml oil                                                                       1/4 liter water

4 bay leaves                                                                   1/4 liter white wine

1 sprig thyme or 1 tsp dried                                        2 tsp salt

1 sprig oregano or 1 tsp dried                                     1 chili pepper (optional except for kazu)

Clean the fish and cut it into crosswise slices, or it can be filleted.  Dust the pieces with flour and fry in just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan.  Remove as they are cooked and let them cool, then place the fish in glass jars.  Add the remaining oil to the pan and in it heat the peeled cloves of garlic with the bay leaves, thyme, oregano, cloves and peppercorns.  remove from heat and stir in the paprika. Heat the vinegar, wine, salt and chili to boiling point, add the oil mixture to it and cook briefly.  Let it cool slightly and pour over the fish.  Cover and marinate for an least 24 hours.  Store refrigerated.  Serve at room temperature garnished with sliced onions, tomatoes and peppers.  

From Cooking in Spain by Janet Mendel

Thanks 🙂. Going to try this and compare to my other one.  I usually do mine with scallops and other fish you have describe.

Really appreciate you sharing 👍 

• Like 6

Thanks for all the daily information.  Ancestors very important, those that I know about,  were pioneers travelling across the world to a young country, with seasons opposite to what they had known. My maternal Great Grandfather was Irish, married a  Scottish woman, he sailed out here in 1870,  the following year she followed  with their three young children.  Can only imagine the discomfort of their journeys.   Family reunions are organised regularly, held close to the original farming homestead.

@StLouisCruisers hope you are now fully recovered.

@VMax1700sorry that your DGD injured.

@Vict0riannbest wishes for your visit to the dermatologist.

Today have had  my hair cut, hairdresser said she is still catching up with appointments that had to be cancelled due to Lockdown.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, dfish said:

Congrats to you and @aliaschiefon your upsells.  We're going to get used to these and when the ships start sailing at full capacity we'll be disappointed when we don't get them. 

I know!  Exactly what I’m thinking. Craig has been asking me every day about getting an upsell. I was actually surprised because a lot of the Zuiderdam passengers were transferred to our sailing. 

I am very interested in your vinegar fish recipe. Can you share?

Edited:  I should have read ahead!  Thanks Debbie for the recipe, very interesting. 

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 7

Was interrupted earlier,  we have been to Sydney by cruise ship, and have stayed at hotels many times.  An easy flight across the Tasman Sea.

@Sharon in AZCongratulations on the upsell to a Neptune Suite.

@aliaschief Congratulatons on the upsell to  a Pinnacle Suite,.......the cruise will be extra special.

@Vict0riann thanks for your reply.

• Like 7