Confused & Frustrated - What Would You Do?

Roz

This is a very confusing topic as there are so many types of tests.  We are leaving for Hungary on Sunday and they only list one test, PCR which we are getting in the morning.  First United tells you in their travel center right to the minute when you can test.  The Netherlands accept an antigen test no more than 24 hours so the home test taken the day would work but it has to be the one ordered from emed.com and done via a zoom call vs the over the counter one.).  We are just hoping we get our PCR results by Sunday morning.  Test with AFC.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Jareen said:

This is a very confusing topic as there are so many types of tests.  We are leaving for Hungary on Sunday and they only list one test, PCR which we are getting in the morning.  First United tells you in their travel center right to the minute when you can test.  The Netherlands accept an antigen test no more than 24 hours so the home test taken the day would work but it has to be the one ordered from emed.com and done via a zoom call vs the over the counter one.).  We are just hoping we get our PCR results by Sunday morning.  Test with AFC.

I see that the organization of the various websites are not idea and can be very confusing for some.

From what I can gather, the rules for Hungary are not presented well in their website, at least in English.  Perhaps the official government website (in Hungarian only) presents this information clearly in Hungarian.

The Dutch website is much better organized (still not perfect though) and is in English also.  For entry into the Netherlands(for those coming from "very high risk" countries including US):

"You need:

• negative NAAT (PCR) test result based on a sample collected no more than 48 hours before departure in the foreign country, or
  • a negative antigen test result based on a sample collected no more than 24 hours before departure."

So, if you choose to use the antigen test, it needs to be collected no more than 24 hours BEFORE DEPARTURE, not before arrival into the Netherlands.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Roz said:

I just checked Walgreen's and CVS.  They only offer one of the tests the Netherlands will accept (PCR) and results take 1-2 days to come back and results aren't guaranteed for travel.  Appts. are limited.  The closest rapid antigen test is offered in VA so that's out.  

They offer something called the Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW) but I don't think it's accepted.  

Hi Roz. I live in Northern Virginia (Metropolitan DC area) and just wanted to give you a heads up that CVS just cancelled our scheduled PCR appointments without warning. Patient First (where I had my July PCR test for travel) won’t test either.  Both places are now limiting testing to those with symptoms.  

Spent a lot of time researching and ended up ordering the PCR Test Collection Kit from Amazon.   The challenge was timing the collection in order to make UPS’ shipping times within 24 hrs of sample (included with the cost of the kit but they don’t ship Sundays); and results to be received in time to make the 72 hour window to meet Canada’s entry requirements.  

Long story short, we leave Sunday for Upstate NY prior to crossing the border on Tuesday so will take the test and drop off at UPS on Saturday to make the 4pm final shipment time.  That way I can be assured of delivery to the lab on Monday with guaranteed results within 24 hours.  Reviews show results are being received within a few hours of receipt at the lab.  You are able to track the status of your package and test throughout the process.

It took a lot of time to do the research and coordinate the timing with our schedule so I feel your pain.  Having CVS cancel our appointments out of the blue was unanticipated so I wanted you to be aware of the possibility.

I wish you the best in sorting through this challenge and really hope you are able to find a workable solution.

• Like 2

Good morning,

We recently returned from 3.5 weeks in Portugal and France. Before we departed I stressed a lot about all of the requirements, at the end of the day it was not as difficult as I had set it up in my head.

I worked with United's Travel Ready Center, your airline probably has a similar function, and made written notes for each individual flight of what the requirements were.

We then located a private testing lab through the internet that would guarantee results within a few hours and made appointments for testing on the day before departure from the US. This test got us through boarding our international flight, transiting in London, and checking in to our hotel in Lisbon. The cost was $159 pp and we had to drive an hour each way for the test, but it was worth it to have peace of mind that it was done right and met the time frame. 

We purchased BinaxNow tests to bring with us as they meet the requirement to return to the US, in case we needed them, but we found options for testing along the way. 

As to if you could test positive and get stuck in quarantine along the trip, that is something to consider. We knew it was a reality and were hopeful it did not come to pass, and it did not. But we did know it could happen and were willing to roll with it. 

• Like 2

It so much depends on where you live as to the tests that are available and how quickly they can return your results and whether they will do it via email or paper.  Our Walgreens is offering the NAAT but they don't evaluate it here so it is still a 48 hour, not guaranteed, turn around for results.  I looked at Vault at home testing as well.  It's accepted for our trip but might not be for yours.  So complicated.  Our medical facilities and health department will not test unless you have symptoms.  Good luck.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Roz said:

I saw that.  It costs $200 and you pre-register.  My question is would UA allow me to board in Nashville without the test, and then get it at Newark before I board the plane for Amsterdam?

I live in a Metro area and state with a low vaccination rate and high number of Covid cases so tests are hard to come by and are being rationed.  

My vax card has a QR code on it, so I'm not sure about uploading it but I'll check on that.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and guidance.

I'm fairly certain you'll need your results to check into your first flight, unless you are flying on two tickets.  Where we live, we alway need to take connecting flights and we are always asked for our passports, test results, and vaccination cards at our initiating airport.  

A QR code on your vax card?  Is this separate from the CDC white card or a sticker or ??  Is this a Tennessee thing?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Coral said:

One option to consider. We have a hospital that is doing PCR tests on demand. It is one of the walk in on demand tests that they offer. You may want to check your hospitals.

Our local clinic used to do this for travel, but since the surge, will not any more.  Too many people needing them for healthcare reasons.  They'll still do them, but it takes 3-5 days to get the results.  NOT helpful!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ljandgb said:

I'm fairly certain you'll need your results to check into your first flight, unless you are flying on two tickets.  Where we live, we alway need to take connecting flights and we are always asked for our passports, test results, and vaccination cards at our initiating airport.  

A QR code on your vax card?  Is this separate from the CDC white card or a sticker or ??  Is this a Tennessee thing?

Good morning, I was curious about that too......never heard of a QR code on the vax card.  Mine just has my name and birthday (which I filled in). The other stuff is the pharmacy information, where and when both jabs were given. (which they filled in).

On 9/30/2021 at 7:22 AM, Roz said:

@Coral, thank you for your reply.  Good to know someone else out there shares my concerns.  I'm going to call my TA later and discuss this all with her.

Roz, good morning, did you speak with your TA yesterday? Any answers? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ljandgb said:

I have the regular CDC card but when I log into the Department of Health for a copy of the record it has the QR code.  I wonder if this is what is being referred to.

• Like 1

Good morning.  I tried to read thru all the responses.  Thank you for taking the time to answer.

I have a CDC vaccine card but Vanderbilt University Medical Center put a QR sticker on it.  Are they the only place that does that?  I've not scanned the sticker. 

I got an email from my TA this morning but she doesn't seem to understand the problem.  She thinks I'm concerned about getting a test in Amsterdam to board the ship.  If I'm reading Tauck's website correctly I only need to be vaccinated to board.  I need a test with negative results within 48 hrs. of liftoff in Nashville.  That's my main issue. 

The hospitals here offer Covid tests to people with symptoms or direct exposure or those scheduled for medical procedures, but results take 2-5 days.  

I'm not knowledgeable enough to be able to determine if the tests offered at Walgreen's or CVS, other than the PCR test, will pass muster.  I may go to a pharmacy and show the requirements to a pharmacist and have them tell me what I need and if they offer it. 

The Netherlands' website says no self-tests but I can't determine if that includes the tests that are shipped to your house and you stick a swab up your nose while someone watches you do it on a Zoom mtg.  

I'm on information overload and trying to sort it all out.  I also feel like I'm spinning and going around in circles.

• Like 1

I received my vaccine from CVS and when I log in to obtain results they have a QR code.  I scanned this code with verifly app which was accepted immediately.  AA uses this to confirm I have the vaccine so I can check in.  I'll find out tmrw how it all works, our first leg is domestic so we'll see where things are confirmed first the first leg or 2nd international one. 

• Like 1

Our trip to Bermuda this summer was a little stressful because you complete a form that has to be approved by Bermuda!  We had sent the negative test results and our vaccine info, we found out we were approved for entry 15 minutes before we made the trip to drop off our pets!  Part of this was we needed to take a 2+ hour bus ride to Boston where we stayed in an airpot hotel.  The flight was too early  for the first bus.  This weekend we work on my info to be sent for my Dec. Belgium trip.

🐾 crossed for you Roz!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Roz said:

Good morning.  I tried to read thru all the responses.  Thank you for taking the time to answer.

I have a CDC vaccine card but Vanderbilt University Medical Center put a QR sticker on it.  Are they the only place that does that?  I've not scanned the sticker. 

I got an email from my TA this morning but she doesn't seem to understand the problem.  She thinks I'm concerned about getting a test in Amsterdam to board the ship.  If I'm reading Tauck's website correctly I only need to be vaccinated to board.  I need a test with negative results within 48 hrs. of liftoff in Nashville.  That's my main issue. 

The hospitals here offer Covid tests to people with symptoms or direct exposure or those scheduled for medical procedures, but results take 2-5 days.  

I'm not knowledgeable enough to be able to determine if the tests offered at Walgreen's or CVS, other than the PCR test, will pass muster.  I may go to a pharmacy and show the requirements to a pharmacist and have them tell me what I need and if they offer it. 

The Netherlands' website says no self-tests but I can't determine if that includes the tests that are shipped to your house and you stick a swab up your nose while someone watches you do it on a Zoom mtg.  

I'm on information overload and trying to sort it all out.  I also feel like I'm spinning and going around in circles.

Hi Roz, I was re-reading all the replies too.  I know I originally said if you feel like it is too stressful, then you might consider not going. But I want to re-iterate the testing from both Walgreens and CVS are acceptable. They are the same test that actually show up on the airline website too.  And if you look at the website that was posted on the reply just before this, it does show the same type of test (just a quicker turn around time for the PCR).  And yes, the timing is before you fly out of your home city. 

So sorry you are still feeling so much anxiety.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, anthonyy7 said:

https://communityquickcare.com/services/

This place is in Nashville and offers immediate results for your travel test.  Again plenty of time to go and there will be many changes between now and Dec. 

Wow, did not know about this place.  That would work.  Only 20 miles from my house.  And as you said, things could change between now and December.   Many thanks, @anthonyy7.  I feel better already.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, anthonyy7 said:

https://communityquickcare.com/services/

This place is in Nashville and offers immediate results for your travel test.  Again plenty of time to go and there will be many changes between now and Dec. 

yes it has the rapid PCR that will work if you need PCR test. We did this in Ohio and had results in 30min. 

• Like 1

Roz, I found this information on the US Embassy website for the Netherlands. Perhaps you or your TA could call them and ask for clarification regarding whether a medically-monitored self-test is acceptable (if you are still considering that option):

Travelers with questions about the EU travel restrictions should contact the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs 24/7 call center at +31 247 247 247.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

Let's hope conditions improve vastly over the next few weeks, & by Nov 1st, all restrictions will be lifted for vaccinated travelers.... 

Nice thought for sure but I would not hold my breath. I think (just my opinion) I think the restrictions will be in place through at least the winter of 2021 ...lets say February/March 2022  (If we are lucky).

• Like 1

Roz,

My husband feels your confusion, last night we went to the websites for European travel!  When all was said and done I only need my vaccine card and to complete a Passenger Locator Form for Belgium online 48 hours before travel.  At this time I do not need a Covid Test (I am only flying through Amsterdam) but will need one to come back!  Richard is not traveling with me on this trip as he will likely not had the booster shot, I got mine almost 3 weeks ago.

Best of luck!!!

Second seating

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lois R said:

Nice thought for sure but I would not hold my breath. I think (just my opinion) I think the restrictions will be in place through at least the winter of 2021 ...lets say February/March 2022  (If we are lucky).

As much as I hate to admit this - I think you are right.

• Like 1