Aqua Class

MLP12

7 minutes ago, MLP12 said:

Is there a dress code for Blu or is it about the same as the main dining room?  

Smart casual every night, Evening chic does not apply in Blu. Basically, for dinner no shorts. You will get responses as to what people wear but the official dress code is smart casual.

Edited by dkjretired

5 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Smart casual every night, Evening chic does not apply in Blu. Basically, for dinner no shorts. You will get responses as to what people wear but the official dress code is smart casual.

Thank you!

Smart casual is recommended for evening wear in the main dining room and specialty restaurants including Blu.  We generally travel in Aqua Class and in our experience more people than not "spruce up" a bit on evening chic nights.  Rarely has anyone showed up in unacceptable clothing; on a couple of occasions gentlemen wearing shorts have been asked to leave.

Our most recent Alaska cruise in August (as well as one in 2019) was noticeably more casual than our other cruises.  Nice jeans and a sweater would work just fine, although on evening chic nights you will see a few more sparkles.🙂

Edited by jgmorgan

8 minutes ago, NonnaTLC said:

Quick question to add...

Is it a bit more casual on the Alaska cruises?

Is it ok to wear nice jeans and a sweater?  Or do we need to step it up?

Nice jeans and a sweater are acceptable when cruising in any region.

8 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Nice jeans and a sweater are acceptable when cruising in any region.

Yep, that is correct. We have not seen a lot jeans in Blu but certainly some and they are clearly within the recommended dress code.

We mostly book AQ class and I think generally people spruce up a bit for dinner.  One cruise in particular, where I wish I had taken a picture of the diners in Blu, DH was the only man I could see in the dining room not in a tux!  He was wearing a suit.  I often notice that British people like to dress up for dinner and they look great.

I would agree that Alaska cruises are more casual.

23 minutes ago, TeaBag said:

We mostly book AQ class and I think generally people spruce up a bit for dinner.  One cruise in particular, where I wish I had taken a picture of the diners in Blu, DH was the only man I could see in the dining room not in a tux!  He was wearing a suit.  I often notice that British people like to dress up for dinner and they look great.

I would agree that Alaska cruises are more casual.

How recent was the cruise where most men were in tux? What was the itinerary? And yes, cruisers from the UK definitely dress up more formally. Obviously a cultural difference, as some other UK practices I encountered during a roadtrip from Southampton to the Lakes district in England.

1 hour ago, NonnaTLC said:

Quick question to add...

For an Alaska cruise we were in Blu and our main concern was to bring layered clothing.   Jeans are fine on any cruise but they don't see the suitcase if I'm going to the Caribbean, too hot.    Alaska different story but like I said you want layered clothes, you can go from 40 degrees to 80 degrees on the same day. 

If this is like most dress code threads, the OP will find that the standard for men is a tux and the standard for women is ripped jeans.

(OK so this is maybe not entirely true, but it sure seems like it.)

5 hours ago, NonnaTLC said:

Quick question to add...

My experience is that if people pay more for their cruise, there is a tendency to dress a little better. Probably because they enjoy the ambiance.  Still see people dressing up in suits/occasional tux on "chic" nights in Blu as well. Also, there are no children in Blu, which makes for a more adult and intimate atmosphere. Nice jeans and sweater or button down shirt will be okay though. Although what people consider nice jeans varies tremendously.

11 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

My experience is that if people pay more for their cruise, there is a tendency to dress a little better. 

Apparently you've never sailed Regent or Oceania.  Smart Casual every night.   No tux, no fuss.

4 hours ago, kwokpot said:

How recent was the cruise where most men were in tux? What was the itinerary? And yes, cruisers from the UK definitely dress up more formally. Obviously a cultural difference, as some other UK practices I encountered during a roadtrip from Southampton to the Lakes district in England.

Sorry, I can't remember exactly but my guess would be Equinox Mediterranean 2011.  Yes, a long time ago and things certainly have changed.

21 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

My experience is that if people pay more for their cruise, there is a tendency to dress a little better. Probably because they enjoy the ambiance.  Still see people dressing up in suits/occasional tux on "chic" nights in Blu as well. Also, there are no children in Blu, which makes for a more adult and intimate atmosphere. Nice jeans and sweater or button down shirt will be okay though. Although what people consider nice jeans varies tremendously.

Just an FYI, children are allowed in Blu but because of the two person rule they are rare. You also see some children who are staying in Suites.

In the last ten years or so Tuxes are rare.

4 hours ago, TeaBag said:

Sorry, I can't remember exactly but my guess would be Equinox Mediterranean 2011.  Yes, a long time ago and things certainly have changed.

Ok, that explains it. Yes things have changed considerably!

1 hour ago, gold1953 said:

For breakfast in Blu shorts are fine. I think my last aqua cruise was 2018 a 15 night . I honestly don't recall seeing a tux

Don't forget the flip flops.  It's pretty casual in the morning.

• Like 2