Live From the Emerald Princess 10/15/21 LA-Port Everglades Panama Cruise

gmcwalker

We are steadily heading southeast at about 19 knots. We are now on MDT.

Instead of clear blue skies we now have scatted clouds and a bit higher humidity 70%. We are about 4-5 hours from Cabo San Lucas, hopefully we will sail by close and say hello (blast the horn).

Right now it is about 75F outside with a 4-6 foot swell or so, and there are a few dolphins here and there checking us out. As we get further south we should see a lot more!

A lot to do today if you want or nothing at all too! 3 movies on the outdoor screen again also.

Time for a late breakfast.

Edited by gmcwalker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Day 3 and all is well except it’s almost like being in a ghost ship!  Love not waiting for elevators, etc but also a little spooky!   We left LA 2 hours late and the Captain had accelerated more than normal trying to make up time which is nice but but some severe rumbling and exceeds motion in the aft quarters.   We were on Deck 10 C718 Balcony aft and didn’t get much sleep the first night out due to everything in the cabin vibrating!   We asked to be moved yesterday and we are now all the way forward on 10 but slept well last night...the difference in sound is amazing.    Not sure if the excess noise and vibration was due to our acceleration or the fact that she has been out of service for so long.  Heading down to club fusion soon for our swab so will speed if things have settled down.   Service is excellent, food great as always and just everyone being so happy to be on board is making for a great voyage!   Felling blessed to have this opportunity!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Luv Cruising Land or Sea said:

Day 3 and all is well except it’s almost like being in a ghost ship! 

Ghost ship indeed!!

840 pax = 27.3%

never before have we ever had so many “Express” elevator trips from 5 or 6 or 7 to 15

yet, there are still chair hogs around the pools. 🤦‍♂️ 

• Haha 3

Our cabin is also on the back of the ship and we are being being shaken, not stirred, but we love the location and are staying here. We’re also planning a long nap today try make up for the sleep we’ve lost. It’s been VERY rattle-y, and we’ve shoved towels everywhere. 

Cruise Critic is really hit and miss for me right now, but I am posting menus, Patters, letters regarding testing protocols, etc. on my blog. With plenty of time, in a perfect world I would post them here too, but it’s a bit too frustrating to deal with the Cruise Critic issues. Too many times I’ve typed an entire post for this thread and then lost it. 

Yellow Fish Cruises

Edited by PescadoAmarillo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Our cabin is also on the back of the ship and we are being being shaken, not stirred, but we love the location and are staying here. We’re also planning a long nap today try make up for the sleep we’ve lost. 

The difference is amazing.  Still rumbling today so glad we made the change.  Hubby wears hearing aids and he was disturbed so we knew it was bad lol. We loved our attendant and hated to move but it was worth it!

4 minutes ago, Luv Cruising Land or Sea said:

The difference is amazing.  Still rumbling today so glad we made the change.  Hubby wears hearing aids and he was disturbed so we knew it was bad lol. We loved our attendant and hated to move but it was worth it!

I don’t blame you at all. DH was particularly bothered by it last night. We’ve been an inside cabin on the back of this ship for hundreds of nights and have never experienced quite this much rattling. I’m not sure if it’s the ship or the wind or the fact we’re in a balcony this time, but this has been noisy. Dishes have bounced off a table in Sabatini’s two mornings in a row. We just keep asking for washcloths and towels and shoving them in to quiet the rattle. 

2 hours ago, gmcwalker said:

We spoke to Riu at our CC meet up on sail away day and he said if he gets enough people interested he will try to talk the Executive chef into doing it and if so however it will not include the galley part of the experience due to Covid protocols.

Excellent - Not surprised about the Galley portion.  We have been to several and are planning on signing up on our cruise - Nov 29th.

3 hours ago, CruiserRob said:

Playing trivia in club fusion yesterday and the host reminded us that we were in a sip and cover venue and we should wear masks if we were not actively sipping.

Did you by any chance ask why sip and cover on a 10 day and over cruise but not on 7 day cruises?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Our cabin is also on the back of the ship and we are being being shaken, not stirred, but we love the location and are staying here. We’re also planning a long nap today try make up for the sleep we’ve lost. It’s been VERY rattle-y, and we’ve shoved towels everywhere. 

Cruise Critic is really hit and miss for me right now, but I am posting menus, Patters, letters regarding testing protocols, etc. on my blog. With plenty of time, in a perfect world I would post them here too, but it’s a bit too frustrating to deal with the Cruise Critic issues. Too many times I’ve typed an entire post for this thread and then lost it. 

Yellow Fish Cruises

@PescadoAmarillo I had more problems on DW's and my Alaska sailing than I am currently having at home. However, it is still being a pain. I mostly use a laptop but have had the same problems on a Samsung tablet. Sometimes it appears that I should be able to 'like' a post but I get an error that says it was unsuccessful. Additionally, when trying to reply to a topic, it looks like it was submitted but it shows at the top of the page I am on vice the bottom. In both cases I appear to be logged in (user-id shows and 'Log Out' is selectable). What I have found is that if I log out and log in the site is functional once again.

I am probably preaching to the choir on the following: I usually copy any text that I am trying to submit in case it doesn't submit and no longer available in the "Reply to this topic" field. On really long posts I sometimes just use a word processor and copy from it.

CC just seems to be offering up more problems than a month ago and it doesn't seem to be device specific or a MedallioNet issue. However, I do wonder whether the latency inherent via satellite connections adds a bit more failure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Where does it appear in DMW?  The above is from the website.

It's supposed to appear as a specialty restaurant choice while onboard according to what the website indicates.  I imagine they will get around to adding that when the world and cruise operations return to normal.

Testing today was very well organized and moved very quickly.  After testing, they ask that you return to your room for 30 minutes.  If you do not get a call from staff within that time, you can go about your day.  I did receive a call to return, but only because they got zero results from my swab.  The first test I did myself.  The second one was a deeper cleaning done by the staff, and all was fine.  To be called back was a bit of a scare, but I will do a better job next time. 😁

The crew are doing a fantastic job keeping things clean and reminding passengers to wear masks where appropriate.  Yesterday I did witness a passenger get very upset about being asked to wear a mask while in line at the Salty Dog.  It was sad to see the crew being treated so badly on day #2.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to all the contributors. Love read these updates. I’ll be on board 11/6. 

Little nervous about the reports from the aft cabins, but will deal with it. Just so happy the Emerald is on its way to Port Everglades. 

33 minutes ago, LreedCA said:

Yesterday I did witness a passenger get very upset about being asked to wear a mask while in line at the Salty Dog.  It was sad to see the crew being treated so badly on day #2.  

Just curious, is everyone made aware once they come onboard of the penalties that potentially apply for not complying with the new mask mandates?

What happens if I don’t follow the health protocols?

Anyone who doesn’t comply with the onboard public health measures may be disembarked at the first available opportunity. Other consequences could include being denied service, required stateroom isolation and being banned from sailing in the future.

If you are non-compliant, no refund of the cruise fare for unused cruise days or travel expenses (if flying home) will be covered.

If your travel party is impacted and/or they are required or voluntarily choose to leave with you, the same policies will apply to them: there will be no refund of cruise fare for unused cruise days or coverage of travel expenses home.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Thanks 3

A great cruise so far, Princess is trying hard, but the vibration in the back of the ships is like nothing I’ve experienced before. We couldn’t hear ourselves in the deck 6 aft dining room. Dishes rattling, whole room shaking. This just can’t be normal for a cruise ship. Forward and Lido deck midship just fine cruising as usual. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bgwest said:

Ghost ship indeed!!

840 pax = 27.3%

never before have we ever had so many “Express” elevator trips from 5 or 6 or 7 to 15

yet, there are still chair hogs around the pools. 🤦‍♂️ 

These? 1796464703_ChairHogSkeleton.thumb.jpeg.0389fc2aa994e20a880dc034dfc1f102.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1