Carnival embarkation port arrival time - how strict?

Zhaan

We'll be driving to a Carnival cruise in January. It's going to be hard to get to the port at an exact time due to driving. We don't know our check-in time yet, but if we get there early or late (but before the final boarding), how strict are they in this COVID era about your arrival time? Can you still arrive earlier than your time or if we get there early will we have to kill time before going to the port?  Thanks!

It seems to vary by port. Some ports have made guests wait outside if they arrive too early. Some ports have used an early/late line. Some ports may let guests into the terminal if the lines aren't too busy. Once inside they have group numbers such as A1, A2, etc., in addition to assigned arrival time. Carnival buses may dump a group off outside their scheduled time.

• Like 1

I honestly think it's a bit of a mixed bag.  They are certainly checking your boarding pass at the beginning of the line and I do remember folks milling around outside, presumably because they were early, but I do think I recall an Early/Late line and an On Time line.  Frankly, right now it's not too big of a problem because passenger loads are so very light. It's amazing to see zero cabs/Ubers showing up after 1 pm. January, maybe different story.

Sorry, I know I didn't give you a very crisp answer.  Just my observation after 2 Miami cruises, post pandemic.

• Like 1

How soon before cruise will we receive email to select arrival time? We sailing out of Port Canaveral and we are platinum. We’ve always just arrived early and are usually one of first on ship so this arrival check in time is new to us.

Thanks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kapeavey said:

How soon before cruise will we receive email to select arrival time? We sailing out of Port Canaveral and we are platinum. We’ve always just arrived early and are usually one of first on ship so this arrival check in time is new to us.

Thanks.

I'm platinum as well and for my next cruise my check in date is listed now in my Cruise Manager To Do List.  I cruise Jan 13, 2022 and my check in is Dec 28, 2021. On Dec 27 I will be ready at 11:55pm and I will click on my Online Check in at 12:00am.  I've done this my last two cruises in Sept and Oct.

Make sure you check your Cruise Manager periodically because I had my health questionnaire show up for my Jan cruise a few days ago, so I completed it.  No email notification.

I agree with previous posts that it varies with ships and ports on when you can get onboard.

• Like 3

Just now, ninjacat123 said:

I'm platinum as well and for my next cruise my check in date is listed now in my Cruise Manager To Do List.  I cruise Jan 13, 2022 and my check in is Dec 28, 2021. On Dec 27 I will be ready at 11:55pm and I will click on my Online Check in at 12:00am.  I've done this my last two cruises in Sept and Oct.

Make sure you check your Cruise Manager periodically because I had my health questionnaire show up for my Jan cruise a few days ago, so I completed it.  No email notification.

I agree with previous posts that it varies with ships and ports on when you can get onboard.

Thanks!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kapeavey said:

Thanks.

As platinum, you are able to choose your arrival time 16 days prior to cruise. Regular check in is 14 days prior. Please note - you will not receive an email! Up to you to go into your cruise manager to complete your checkin at 16 days out.  

As to arrival times, we’ve sailed twice from Port Canaveral since August. We had a 12-12:30 arrival time both times. First one arrived just a few before 12 but there was no line so they let us go on. Second 2 weeks ago, same arrival time, got there a few before 12, there was a pretty good line, and they were sending us into the long line, but changed their minds and let us go ahead of the line. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ninjacat123 said:

Health questionnaire or vaccine testation?

1 hour ago, Monalis said:

Vaccine attestation is about 90 days before sailing.  Health Questionnaire is about 72 hours prior to sailing.

I know that as my vaccine attestation just showed up this past week for my cruise 1/8/2022.  But the part I highlighted in BOLD, was the poster I quoted stating health questionnaire.  I want that poster to respond that either things changed or that they meant vaccine and said health.

5 hours ago, kapeavey said:

Thanks.

Diamond and Platinum get a 2 day head start in choosing their arrival time. Go online anytime after 12:00am EST if you want the early slot.

6 hours ago, Zhaan said:

We'll be driving to a Carnival cruise in January. It's going to be hard to get to the port at an exact time due to driving. We don't know our check-in time yet, but if we get there early or late (but before the final boarding), how strict are they in this COVID era about your arrival time? Can you still arrive earlier than your time or if we get there early will we have to kill time before going to the port?  Thanks!

As someone posted earlier, you might check back closer to your sail date, but it would also help if you would post the port as they do differ and you might get more-specific info.   Last month, in Galveston, they were adhering to the times with an early/late line (we arrived 30 minutes early).  It moved fast and then once inside, they allowed those with a suite and special needs to board first, then by the boarding zone listed on the boarding pass. There were a few people in a group that were upset because they were platinum members, but had not chosen their boarding times two weeks (or so) earlier and had to wait.  They were a bit upset because they normally would not have to chose their boarding times.  It's my understanding they chose a couple of days before the other boarding times open for others.  Overall, boarding went faster, but may have been b/c of the 65-70% capacity.  The staff at the terminal were so welcoming, thanking us for sailing.   We were thanking them for being there so we could!  HTH.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DPTexas said:

As someone posted earlier, you might check back closer to your sail date, but it would also help if you would post the port as they do differ and you might get more-specific info.   Last month, in Galveston, they were adhering to the times with an early/late line (we arrived 30 minutes early).  It moved fast and then once inside, they allowed those with a suite and special needs to board first, then by the boarding zone listed on the boarding pass. There were a few people in a group that were upset because they were platinum members, but had not chosen their boarding times two weeks (or so) earlier and had to wait.  They were a bit upset because they normally would not have to chose their boarding times.  It's my understanding they chose a couple of days before the other boarding times open for others.  Overall, boarding went faster, but may have been b/c of the 65-70% capacity.  The staff at the terminal were so welcoming, thanking us for sailing.   We were thanking them for being there so we could!  HTH.

It's probably not necessary to correct my own spelling/grammar, but I felt a "look" from my 5th grade teacher Ms. Hill because of it, so "chose" should be "choose".  LOL!

• Haha 2

We were on the Magic in August out of Port Canaveral and people had different check in times and weren’t set aside to wait.. They had to wait for their time to board which to me is all I care about… 

I could see the complaints if boarding early was happening but it does not… I almost wonder if people are confusing check in vs boarding… Now I guess if you arrive with let’s say a 12:30 pm check in time at 11:30 am after boarding has begun then you could board ahead of someone with an earlier check in time but everything I have heard it usually walk right on by 11:30 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Raiderguy8 said:

For those who have been on cruises, and I am sure it varies from port to port, what have been the time ranges from which you have been able to select.  Do you remember how late the last check in times might have been?

I completed my check in time a couple of days ago for our 10-31 sail date. Our ship sales at 3:30 pm, and we opted for the last slot available which was 1:00-1:30. So even if they want you there an hour before sailing (2:30), the latest check in time is 1:30. I guess that is wiggle room for really late comers and time fo them to prepare the manifest for whomever.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Raiderguy8 said:

For those who have been on cruises, and I am sure it varies from port to port, what have been the time ranges from which you have been able to select.  Do you remember how late the last check in times might have been?

We cruised on the Vista out of Galveston on Aug.21-28, and selected a 1:30 check in time, as we wanted to avoid the crowds. And indeed we did! We walked into check in time at 1:40, and breezed right on through all check in lines; photo, baggage scan, walk thru metal detectors, customs, etc, etc etc. We will NEVER try for early check in times again. Absolutely no stress on this one! 👍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hockeydad1972 said:

We were on the Magic in August out of Port Canaveral and people had different check in times and weren’t set aside to wait.. They had to wait for their time to board which to me is all I care about… 

I could see the complaints if boarding early was happening but it does not… I almost wonder if people are confusing check in vs boarding… Now I guess if you arrive with let’s say a 12:30 pm check in time at 11:30 am after boarding has begun then you could board ahead of someone with an earlier check in time but everything I have heard it usually walk right on by 11:30 

Boarding early was happening in Seattle 

8 hours ago, vwrestler171 said:

I have seen many complaints about the check in times not being enforced.  I hope they get it under control soon.

If they are allowing people into the terminal before their assigned arrival time because the terminal is reasonably clear with short lines, then what's the problem?    

That's what happened with us last week:  12:00 arrival time, we arrived at around 11:40, were told to wait outside which was fine with us, and then at about 11:50 they waved us in because the lines were short.   Second-shortest boarding from terminal to ship's deck I've ever had.  

Edited by Pellaz
minor typo
  • Like 3

There is NO enforcement of arrival time in Port Canaveral. People with the earliest arrival time and boarding number have said they are behind 1000 people to get in and many have missed their boarding number. This is a failure on Carnival's side. They need to turn people away before they can even get in line to enter the terminal. Corral them back to the parking lot or away from the terminal entrance. 

Right now and there has been no change, it is the Wild West. Get there when you want, clog the lines, clog the terminal, and laugh at the people behind you.

• Like 1