Dress code?

On 10/17/2021 at 7:03 PM, RoyalC said:

Others will appreciate you dressing up, esp. at specialty restaurants where they dress up and pay good money for a good experience. 

I never knew that people pay good money to see ME nicely dressed in a restaurant. Do they only have a good experience when I wear a red or blue dress or does black also work for them? 

Maybe I should do a poll before my next cruise dinner. 

Was on Allure in 2016 an Oasis in 2018. Especially on the second formal night (so later on that cruise) a lot of people attended dinner in shorts. No one cares. And back then there was no mention in the daily planner anymore about  "no shorts etc.". Don't know why people still think there is a dress code (suggestion) on RCL. 

If the beef is good, why should I care I care about other people's arms, legs, feet or whatever?  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, beshears said:

I have a feeling I will get a lot of "back lash"  in regard to what I'm saying, but this is ME talking in reference to dressing up for formal night, etc. I am over 70, and since I do not cruise all the time, I enjoy "dressing up" for formal nights, and get many compliments from "strangers", telling me their not used to people dressing up anymore, which is true. This is MY words, but I say this generation is a LAZY society, and it takes WORK to dress up nice, as anyone can throw on a top and bottom, but to really look nice, it takes work. I'm not saying to do this all the time, but for formal nights, in my book YES. 🙂

You said you "dress up" because you enjoy it. However, if people don't dress to your standards it isn't because they don't enjoy it, the reason is they are lazy. Ok, got it.😏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

5 hours ago, beshears said:

I have a feeling I will get a lot of "back lash"  in regard to what I'm saying, but this is ME talking in reference to dressing up for formal night, etc. I am over 70, and since I do not cruise all the time, I enjoy "dressing up" for formal nights, and get many compliments from "strangers", telling me their not used to people dressing up anymore, which is true. This is MY words, but I say this generation is a LAZY society, and it takes WORK to dress up nice, as anyone can throw on a top and bottom, but to really look nice, it takes work. I'm not saying to do this all the time, but for formal nights, in my book YES. 🙂

When I read notes like this, after rolling my eyes and laughing, I make sure that I put MORE effort into not bringing formal wear on a cruise.  It's hard WORK looking good without playing phony dress up just to solicit compliments from "strangers".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Seriously, why don't we all accept someone else's opinion if it is describing how they feel about their experience? Is this forum becoming divided like the political parties of today? It is easy to find fault with things you don't agree with.  People make suggestions and ask for opinions. Instead of trying to provide value added,  people immediately disagree with the suggestion.  Then you have those that  try to control the boards.  Why not make this more positive and try to understand we are all here to try to help each other with answers rather than criticism. Remember, we are all interested in cruising, beating C19 and may meet on a future cruise. Stay safe and happy cruising!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Take it easy posters... we gents all know why we feel uncomfortable with dress pants , the waistband dont lie. Jeans will give a little , but those dress pants ... na 😁

I have actually lost weight due to exercise since retiring but i still wont dress up for the dining room.

My last Allure cruise in 2019 sealed it for me. At least half the gents were not wearing jackets.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, billslowsky said:

When I read notes like this, after rolling my eyes and laughing, I make sure that I put MORE effort into not bringing formal wear on a cruise.  It's hard WORK looking good without playing phony dress up just to solicit compliments from "strangers".

Maybe you are just not insecure enough to need that positive reinforcement from strangers.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Oxo said:

Seriously, why don't we all accept someone else's opinion if it is describing how they feel about their experience? Is this forum becoming divided like the political parties of today? It is easy to find fault with things you don't agree with.  People make suggestions and ask for opinions. Instead of trying to provide value added,  people immediately disagree with the suggestion.  Then you have those that  try to control the boards.  Why not make this more positive and try to understand we are all here to try to help each other with answers rather than criticism. Remember, we are all interested in cruising, beating C19 and may meet on a future cruise. Stay safe and happy cruising!

Because the gauntlet was thrown down when someone accused those who don't dress up as lazy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Because the gauntlet was thrown down when someone accused those who don't dress up as lazy.

This.

I wear a nice tunic, dressy pants and dress sandals.  DH wears dress pants and long sleeve shirt.  BUT, I have no interest in what anyone else wears.  I hope they are enjoying their vacation whether they have on tuxedos and formal gowns or shorts and t-shirts.  I may look at someone and think they look nice or comfortable, but it certainly doesn’t impact my enjoyment.

29 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

There was also the earlier (now deleted) post where someone equated wearing a hat indoors with poor upbringing or social standing.

I believe there was an even earlier post that said anyone who did not dress up on formal night had a poor upbringing.

The last charity dinner event I attended in person pre-covid (lots of old money and celebrities,) the guys were dressed in business attire, nary a tux to be seen.  Ladies a bit more dressed up in LBDs and some cocktail dresses.  I guess all those celebs and old money guys are lazy and have no class or upbringing for not putting on the tux 😂  I said it before and I will say it again, those that have nothing to prove, don't.

• Like 1

I guess im in the minority

I wear shorts & thongs as much as possible in a normal day 

But when having dinner in the MDR or Specialty I wear pants and shoes

My thinking is if DW is going to spend time putting on makeup and doing her hair, picking out an outfit. Besides  shoes to match her clutch.

The least i can do is put on my big boy clothes

It makes her happy

JMHO

Edited by jonbgd

15 hours ago, beshears said:

I agree that if one wishes to participate in formal night, they should feel good about it.  That being said, as a fellow Septuagenarian, I understand we can be set in our ways and resist change. 
I had my children later in life, and they keep me on my toes when I’m getting stodgy.   I follow their lead and they follow mine.

I've learned to go with the flow, and that flow is leaning casual. Let’s not call anyone who jumps through these COVID-era hoops to cruise “lazy.”   The key here is you enjoy dressing up, and that’s great. But keep an open mind to the fact that lots of people have been suffering losses of jobs, friends, jobs and family. Let’s appreciate everyone has a different view but we’re all agreeing to one thing: happy to be cruising again. Cheers!

Edited by Chauncey Picklepants
  • Like 2

Bottom line is if somebody wants to get all dressed up that's fine with me. And if I don't want to get all dressed up that should be fine with them. If it's not that's their problem. 

Edited by nferr
  • Like 4

On 10/19/2021 at 9:31 AM, matt1 said:

THANK YOU for the post! You’re an inspiration. I’ve now decided that this weekend I’ll rebook my specialty dining for December, and will make sure to pick a nice pair of jeans to wear for dinner each night. 

😎

Great to hear! Make sure to book that Unlimited Dining Package at a good discount. On my solo Mariner that I just did October 4th, I got the JR Suite cheap, and the Unlimited Dining Package for 55% off! ENJOY YOURSELF!

• Like 2

I was not planning on getting on here anymore, and yes I did use the word lazy, but this laziness did not start when Covid and the Pandemic came as someone mentioned, it was going on before, but "some" people never notice, and as I said, this was MY opinion, and I have read other opinions here, and I will not say anymore.

25 minutes ago, beshears said:

I was not planning on getting on here anymore, and yes I did use the word lazy, but this laziness did not start when Covid and the Pandemic came as someone mentioned, it was going on before, but "some" people never notice, and as I said, this was MY opinion, and I have read other opinions here, and I will not say anymore.

I lost my sister to COVID. She was 59, neonatal RN, healthy, yoga instructor, wife and mother of four.  Let’s step back and reflect. We’re lucky to be alive and take a vacation. In whatever garb we choose as long as it isn’t underpants.   Others aren’t so lucky.  Peace to you. 

Edited by Chauncey Picklepants
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, beshears said:

Painting an entire generation as lazy just because they don't think like you is far more telling than your ability to dress up.

I am glad you get pleasure out of dressing up. That is great that you enjoy it.  If someone else wants to wear shorts and a tshirt, and Royal Caribbean allows it, then all the more power to them too. Royal allows it, so there should not be any judgement from anyone else.

I think someone up thread said it best. It is merely an adult prom. A family centric cruise line that regularly holds belly flop and hairy man contests, along with Quest and the Love and Marriage show, while hilariously entertaining, does not point to class and sophistication in the main dining room.

There is a reason the ships no longer rent tuxes. It is going the way of the dodo bird. Although I do enjoy seeing the formal dressed strolling through the dining room. It is fun, like watching a muster of peafowl strutting by.  As long as it is not me. For me, the heels and sequins stay home.

I love that Royal Caribbean is open to Dress Your Best, allowing everyone their own self expression.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

For me, my husband never wants to dress up.  He wants shorts and he considers his Hawaiian shirts to be dress up.  I dress for formal night and his concession is to wear long pants.  I cannot change him so I just accept.  If people don't like it then so be it.  He did consent to a Tux on our 25th anniversary. So in 2 years we will celebrate 50 maybe he will wear a tux again.  

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, cindyscruise said:

For me, my husband never wants to dress up.  He wants shorts and he considers his Hawaiian shirts to be dress up.  I dress for formal night and his concession is to wear long pants.  I cannot change him so I just accept.  If people don't like it then so be it.  He did consent to a Tux on our 25th anniversary. So in 2 years we will celebrate 50 maybe he will wear a tux again.  

Happy milestone Anniversary to you! 50 years of love and mutual respect is certainly reason to celebrate. Hawaiian shirts are formal dress in Hawaii. You don’t see slacks and long sleeved shirts there for good reason: Hakuna Matata- No worries. I’d bet most men feel the same as hubby. 

• Like 1