14 day Hawaiian cruise vs. 14 day Caribbean cruise

KKB

OK we have been offered a free cruise & have narrowed it to these 2.

Hawaii: Carnival Miracle with 4 days on the islands, 1 day in Ensenada plus 8 sea days: we have been to Oahu

Caribbean: Carnival Dream w/ 4 sea days & 8 ports (4 new to us)

Having not cruised Carnival, we aren't sure what to expect on sea days. so are leaning toward the Caribbean cruise. 

We like to be busy on sea days: after pool time in AM we are looking for trivia, poolside games, "game shows",in the afternoon and shows, dancing to music from 70s-today & a bit of gambling in evenings. 

We are late 50s, 15 cruises under our belts, all Caribbean but 1 to MX Riviera.

For the most part NCL, Princess, Celebrity & Royal kept us busy.

Are we going to find similar offerings on Carnival?

Thanks!

Hard choice! I guess I prefer Hawaii to the Caribbean, mostly because I've been there less. I think it's prettier and easier to get around. But, 8 sea days is a LOT. I think I would go for more ports in Caribbean, esp. since 4 are new ones.

• Like 1

It's not even a choice.  You can go to the Caribbean anytime on multiple mass market cruise lines on various lengths from 3 days and up. Can't say the same about Hawaii.  And Oahu is nothing like Kona and Hilo on the Big Island or Maui or Kauai.  Would choose Hawaii in a heartbeat.

If you're leaving from the East coast, try to get a last in first out flight going west that stops in LA or SF.  This way you break up the long flight with your overnight airport stay and you're refreshed and your body will take the 6 hour time change easier.

• Like 1

Both of these should be what Carnival calls Journeys cruises.  These cruises have additional special activities.  We have done Hawaii twice on Carnival Journeys cruises.  For additional activities on sea days, Carnival brings on a naturalist who has presentations about Hawaiian history and culture, a guest lecturer who has lectures on 5 wide ranging topics, and a ballroom dance instructor.  They have a throwback sea day that revives activities from the past including the grand gala midnight buffet. They also bring on additional entertainers for evening shows such as vocalists, magicians, hypnotists, jugglers, as well as multiple comedians for the comedy club... Of course they also have their standard activities such as arts and crafts, trivia, bingo, karaoke, theme nights, etc., but unfortunately Covid has nixed the hairy chest competition!  We have sailed both RCCL and Carnival and found Carnival to have more activities versus RCCL.

Here is a link for more information about these cruises:  https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3936/~/carnival-journeys-cruises

• Like 3

In speaking with my Mom who has done Hawaiian cruises, she said it was quite cool on most sea days in October...so I would expect January to be no better. 

I do like a few hours of sun each day!

I agree this is a no-brainer!

Hawaii every time.

All the islands are completely different, whereas there is not a lot of difference

between the Caribbean islands.

Sea days are what cruising is really about, throwback to the old passenger liner days.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KKB said:

In speaking with my Mom who has done Hawaiian cruises, she said it was quite cool on most sea days in October...so I would expect January to be no better. 

I do like a few hours of sun each day!

we did a one way hawaii cruise in April a few years ago. Now, we were returning to Canada, not California. But the sea days were very cold. First 1-2 days were pleasant. After that it was impossible to spend time outside. Cold air and lots of wind making it feel even colder. In January I would do caribbean. I would vote for Caubbean any way though. 8 days on the islands instead of 4 is a no brainer to me.

You might want to see what islands are actually open in the Caribbean as so many ports of call  have recently be substituted.  Caribbean is great for outside deck activities  We have done both, Hawaii a few times and Caribbean many times. If you love water sports, definitely the Caribbean but the Hawaiian Islands are beautiful. Travel to/from port has always been a consideration for us in determining what cruise to select.  The first few days sailing to Hawaii from the west coast can also present rough seas.  You mentioned it was "free" so either one is  a win.

On 10/22/2021 at 9:46 PM, SNJCruisers said:

It's not even a choice.  You can go to the Caribbean anytime on multiple mass market cruise lines on various lengths from 3 days and up. Can't say the same about Hawaii.  And Oahu is nothing like Kona and Hilo on the Big Island or Maui or Kauai.  Would choose Hawaii in a heartbeat.

If you're leaving from the East coast, try to get a last in first out flight going west that stops in LA or SF.  This way you break up the long flight with your overnight airport stay and you're refreshed and your body will take the 6 hour time change easier.

Bingo!

I’ve done both cruises and loved both. Either would be very relaxing and fun at the same time. If you guys love sea days, the Hawaii cruise is magnificent, but if you prefer port days, I recommend you go with the Caribbean cruise because you can get antsy on a Hawaii cruise if you struggle with sea days. 

On 10/22/2021 at 6:46 PM, SNJCruisers said:

This is all the answer you need.  Add to that the fact that so many Caribbean islands aren't open for tourists right now.  I would go with the Hawaii cruise!

In 2018 we sailed on Holland America Lines aboard the Eurodam which is very similar to the Carnival Miracle. We sailed on an 18-day cruise to the Hawaiian Islands from San Diego in November 2018. The weather was cool in San Diego (lower 60's) but warm once out in the ocean, and the seas had barely a ripple both directions. We were able to use our balcony every day. I am surprised that Carnival shows only a total of eight sea days as we had a total of 10 sea days? 

Personally we enjoy sea days but there were extra activities to keep us occupied as well. We are booked on the 14-day Greenland/Canada cruise aboard the Carnival Legend in 2023 which also has eight sea days. My vote would be for the :

DSC07108.thumb.JPG.45d18688b7585deda4b6cacd87c9475f.JPG

Carnival Miracle in Mazatlan, Mexico 2016

Edited by Heartgrove

On 10/22/2021 at 8:46 PM, SNJCruisers said:

We have been to both the Caribbean and Hawaii. I concur with Hawaii. The islands are so different from most any place else - especially now with the Volcano awakening (again). And with an added bonus of 8 At-Sea days.

We have been to Hawaii from both San Diego and Vancouver. San Diego was warm the entire cruise. Our cruise from Vancouver was much cooler as Sanger 727 mentioned, but only for the first 2 days - then it was very nice. 

All that being said, we are cruise ship people (ports are mostly a distraction from the ship activities), not so much port people (Those being the two primary species found on cruise ships)

Tough choice, if only I was given the opportunity to make it for myself...

I "assume" you will let us know the winner...

Edited by RGEDad

We DO love sea days--but new ports are great too (and even old favs).

But I love the sun on those sea days (partly why we have yet to do Alaska); I was surprised how cool the Pacific was in October when we did a MX Riv cruise...too cool to be out at pool.

We LOVED Oahu & spent time on all corners of the islands & are anxious to see the other islands.

Im not worried about islands not being open at this point as we are looking at January 2023.

I WILL look at Panama again--we LOVE Aruba & Curacao!

Thanks for everyone's thoughts--I truly appreciate it!

Edited by KKB