Does holland Supply N 95 Rated Masks on Board

mcrcruiser

Unless things have changed in the couple of years since I retired as an ED nurse, N95 masks had to be properly fitted. We had to have a mask fitting test every year. Also not comfortable at all to wear.  I’m not sure why HAL should provide masks to all. For the last 18 months we have supplied our own masks 

• Like 5

We just got off the Nieuw Amsterdam.  The crew is supplied with and wears without exception the KN95 masks; don't ask them to pull them down for any reason; that is not allowed.  In Alaska and on this cruise, we were given fabric HAL-logo masks to wear.  The KN95 masks you might bring with you fit most faces just fine, no need for special fitting for everyday use.  They provide the most protection.

• Like 5

They provide you with one cloth logo mask that one could add an additional layered filter in. That was not provided. You should bring your own. 

When we embarked for excursions they were selling bottled water and mask. I believe I saw $2.00 per mask.

• Like 1

OSHA has waived the annual fit testing of N95 masks. But the initial fit test is still required for commercial/hospital  use. For our purposes we wore KN95 masks while in-transit to and from Iceland this Summer but switched to a surgical mask once there due to the high vaccination rate. Onboard the cruise the rate was 100%. Social distancing was still required and made absolute sense.

The N95 mask comes in three sizes: small, medium, and large. In actuality, the mask material itself is the same for all three. The  bands that hold the mask in place are of three different lengths which then adjust the fit. The seal to the face is what matters. Men with facial hair will not get as tight a seal as those without. But bottom line they provide a superior filtering media.

• Like 2

When we embarked on our 10/10/2021 Koningsdam California Coastal cruise, both DW and I had the HAL Logo cloth masks waiting in our cabin.  DW's mask was considerably smaller than mine, and didn't fit her properly.  We requested, and received a larger mask for her.  These are 2-ply cloth masks, and have an opening for an additional filter, if you choose to use one.  The masks were very comfortable, and we had no problems wearing them when out and about.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

We decided to place a order on amazon for the KN-95 masks  in different colors  .We bought 50 of them   

Just back from 24 days on the Eurodam and 2 transatlantic flights.  This is what we did, ordered KN-95 masks in different colors.  DH and I wore them any time we were off the ship, and sometimes on the ship in place of the HAL masks we got in our cabin.  DH said it was easier for him to breathe in the KN-95 masks -- I thought there was no difference. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

We decided to place a order on amazon for the KN-95 masks  in different colors  .We bought 50 of them   

We did as well some time ago.  They are much more substantial then the blue masks we wore before.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Just back from 24 days on the Eurodam and 2 transatlantic flights.  This is what we did, ordered KN-95 masks in different colors.  DH and I wore them any time we were off the ship, and sometimes on the ship in place of the HAL masks we got in our cabin.  DH said it was easier for him to breathe in the KN-95 masks -- I thought there was no difference. 

I also found the KN-95 masks easier to breath with than my 3-layer cloth mask from my health insurance provider.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, 12cruise2 said:

We just got off the Nieuw Amsterdam.  The crew is supplied with and wears without exception the KN95 masks; don't ask them to pull them down for any reason; that is not allowed.  In Alaska and on this cruise, we were given fabric HAL-logo masks to wear.  The KN95 masks you might bring with you fit most faces just fine, no need for special fitting for everyday use.  They provide the most protection.

We use the KN95 and they are definitely more comfortable than N95’s. We have also used the FFP2 Masks from Germany, which are similar to KN95 ‘s. Both have a tight seal, easy to wear with glasses.  I believe the KN 95’s are from China. Both have almost the same protection as an N95.

• Like 1

Lets talk about this.  N95 masks have been approved by the National Institute of Occupational Safety and and health (NIOSH) and meet tough standards.  Each mask will indicate that they are N95 and approved by NIOSH.  There are many approved manufacturers (including some in China) and some masks come in sizes while other brands are only available in a single size.  The CDC publishes a list of approved N95 masks at Approved N95 Respirators A Suppliers List | NPPTL | NIOSH | CDC. Nearly all N95 masks have an elastic strap that goes around the back of the head/neck.  To be effective they should fit tight (when you breath in the mask should start to collapse with no leaks).  N95s are usually consider the gold standard and are very effective.  We have seen some tests that show them to have better then 90% effectiveness at blocking COVID...assuming they are properly fitted and handled.

KN-95 is the Chinese standard.  Our FDA has actually given some Emergency use authorization to some KN-95 masks that meet or come close to N95 standards.  Like N-95s they need to be fitted so that there are no air leaks.  Unfortunately there have been lots of reports of counterfeit KN95s .  Nearly all KN95s use ear loops (compared to the behind the head bands of N95s).  The real KN95s are nearly as effective against COVID.

All the other masks 1,2, 3 layer fabric have been shown by several studies to be nearly useless.  Some studies have shown these masks are less then 20% effective against COVID because they do not fit tightly and the fabric is not very effective.  And yet many places (including cruise lines) happily issue these masks and accept their use.  On our recent Seabourn cruise (just returned Sunday) the crew were issued KN95 masks (we saw a few wearing N95s) while the passengers were given fabric Seabourn masks.    I guess the theory is that any mask is more effective then no mask and masks do make folks somewhat self-conscious and hopefully more cautious when it comes to social distancing.

On our recent cruise we did see some pretty fancy masks (some of which actually matched outfits) and they were attractive.  On the other hand, you could hold some of these masks up to a light and see right through them so you can use your imagination about the effectiveness.  

So what did DW and I do on our two most recent trips/cruises in Greece and the Caribbean?  I took some N95 masks which I wore in places I considered high risk such as airports.  I also carried some much less effective (but comfortable surgical masks) which I would use once seated on the plane or in other areas that I perceived as less risky.  On the ship I actually used the the Seabourn issued fabric masks (which I am sure are not very effective) because they were pretty comfortable.  I did this knowing that 100% of the folks on our ship were fully vaccinated and tested (weekly for passengers and bi weekly for crew).  Were we stupid?  Perhaps.  But we have never had COVID!  

Speaking of onboard protocols it was interesting on Seabourn.  The most recent rule is that everyone must wear masks when moving around indoors unless they are drinking or eating.  Once seated you can remove the masks.  If standing with a drink or food then you could also remove the mask.  On Seabourn the Champagne (and other drinks) flows freely (and often) from morning to night.  It was common to see both passengers and officers with a drink in their hand...which means it is OK to remove the mask.  However, keep in mind that we were all tested weekly and our cruise maintained a "bubble" to keep us isolated from nearly all outside folks.  All passengers and crew embarked from Barbados which required them to have a recent PCR Test (administered by a medical professional).  Those of us who spent any time on Barbados had to also get another PCR test upon arrival in Barbados.  We further were required to get an Antigen test during the embarkation process (so we actually had 3 negative tests (2 PCR and 1 antigen) before we were permitted to board the ship.  In addition, our ships physician personally interviewed every embarking passenger (in the terminal) and asked several very appropriate health questions.   To be blunt, we felt very safe once we were allowed to walk up the gangplank :).  The best part of all these various rules and protocols is that we did not hear anyone (passengers or crew) complaining about the procedures although many of us were a little frustrated (but understanding) about maintaining the "bubble."

Hank

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We wore KN95s to travel to Europe this month  they were certainly a tight fit and not very comfortable so we did as hiltner did and put lighter masks on in the plane. We will do the same on our return journey in 2 weeks. Haven’t cruised yet, here in Spain on a land holiday but pleased to see that adherence to mask wearing is the same as in Canada 

We’ve had good luck with the Korean Masks KF 94 but agree fit and quality are important.   I find them very comfortable and will wear them on the plane.  

There has been some good testing of different masks.  Wise to check with government agencies about quality.  

I found this CBC video interesting.  I couldn’t attach the link but if you search CBC Marketplace mask testing you should be able to find it. 
Canada·Marketplace

Is your N95-style mask failing you? Lab tests show some falling way short of filtration standards

Edited by bennybear
  • Thanks 2

If you are flying any distance, the masks with elastic around the head might be a better choice than earloops, because they stay in place better and do not irritate the ears.  I made a short (5-hour) air trip a few months before our vacation, and my ears were so irritated, I knew that would not work for a longer flight.  I like the KN95s with ear loops, but I also wear a headband with buttons added.  I hook the mask loops over the buttons--good fit, no pain, easy to unhook when eating.  

My husband has hearing aids, so he uses a silicone extender on the back of the head, and hooks ear loops into that device.

• Like 1