Ship employee requests.

codeyell0

6 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Oh good grief! This is all ridiculous.  They're doing a JOB. A job they signed up for and chose to pursue.  Treat them like the professionals they are, treat them with dignity.  If it's a position where to do so is appropriate, and you want  to offer more, give them money.  Anyone buying socks or providing other such items for crew members is only feeding their own fragile ego.

My first thought when I see threads like this is how disrespectful and condescending.  I don't get those that think the crew is destitute and needs "saving".  A gesture of a treat or cash is one thing, but they don't need or necessarily want a charity set up for them.  While the crew may not make what some people think is a lot of money, in their home countries they are doing very well.  Most come back contract after contract because they want to.  A lot who don't are very homesick, not destitute.   As I've said elsewhere, it's not like they are tied up and forced into their jobs onboard.   And, of course, like with anyone, there are a few that are less than honest and play the woe is me game to get more money.  Like on a FB post I read where someone posted that a crew member told them they only get paid in tips, which is completely false.

Edited by BND
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, codeyell0 said:

I was not saying don't tip.  But this is a great Idea and doesn't cost much.
They might have a store but they would not ask for specific items if they had access to everything. 
If all you want is item X it can be worth its weight in gold if you can't get it.

My goal is to know what RCL employees want most. For all i know they can't get gum, or lotion.  
Also I don't know if the ship charges a premium for items the employees need. Like they charge us. 

I include, gum, mints, crackers, lotion in each of my gift bags. I am sure not everyone needs the same thing, but they can always, switch and swap. I read where the only place they can get off the ship is St. Thomas and it is a "bubble" trip to a store just for them and the fare is $10. I checked my booking website and it looks like the next stop there for the Odyssey ( our ship) is the week of Christmas.

I would love  if others would add items they have heard requested. 

• Like 1

I became very close with our cabin steward on a b2b2b2b2b cruise a few years ago.  They let her stay in our cabin area to work the whole time. 

She was from the same area in her home country as the Loyalty Ambassador, and when they were at home while the other was at sea, they took care of each other's children to give the families a break.

I got so many in-cabin gifts from RCCL, that I would give her my champagne and my extra bottles of Pelligrino (large size; I couldn't drink all of it).  She used to sneak them into the laundry cart, and got them to her cabin.

One of the cruises was a repositioning cruise, and the seas were REALLY rough in that area.  Walking out of my cabin one morning, she was coming out the opposite cabin, and I KNEW she was seasick.  Nothing worse than having to be on your feet and working when you're seasick.  They got Dramamine free, but it wasn't the non-drowsy formul, and she was a groggy wreck.

I went back in my cabin, got all my Meclizine, told her how to use it, and bought more when I was in port.  More for me, and enough to last her 2 months.

I remember another cabin steward decades ago that I gave a Danielle Steel hardback (in perfect condition) and a bottle of champagne to.  He was going to take it all home to his wife for her birthday when his contract was over.

A dining steward told us he always got off in Cozumel and went to the shoe store and bought shoes for his ENTIRE family.  They were hard to buy in Croatia at the time. He said he would come through the air terminal at home and his nephews would yell, "Did you bring us shoes?"  

I agree with other posters, if you ask, they will tell you what they need.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

but if they are not allowed to go ashore as they please FOR MONTHS, and the limited stores they are allowed to shop in don't stock needed items, what harm would it do if I bring their favorite brand?

For example, I can use pretty much any shampoo or body wash, I am not particular about which soap I use, but I am absolutely loyal to a particular brand and style when it comes to, say, feminine care items or hair color. But the women can't bring a suitcase worth of Always pads onboard to last for all 6-8 months, and been there, done the emergency pad shopping during a cruise - stores in ports do not have the brand I use. So, once again, whose dignity would it hurt to offer to bring a couple of boxes/bottles/tubes of a particular brand of something they need? After all, their shore time is super limited, especially during the pandemic, if provided at all.

I am not talking about leaving 3/4 used tubes of toothpaste here.

P.S. Actually, I am hoping to find a crew member from my country of origin and ask what THEY would need in particular. Most people there are destitute, contrary to what other PPs think.

This is the post where this thread forever jumped the shark.  So now part of your cruise planning is making sure you inquire about what brand of feminine products your room attendant or maybe waiter or bartender might use?  Seriously,  You are on vacation, one you most likely paid handsomely for.  they are working in their professional capacity. But you're going to occupy your time with focusing on their personal care products.  Just stop.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, pcur said:

I remember another cabin steward decades ago that I gave a Danielle Steel hardback (in perfect condition) and a bottle of champagne to.  He was going to take it all home to his wife for her birthday when his contract was over.

Yeah, the only reason to add "in perfect condition" is because this story is all about you.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

no, I understand that caring about other fellow humans' needs or wants is not something you do often, especially on vacation.

Give me a break!  Do you do this on all your vacations?  Do you go to Vegas and ask the blackjack dealer what kind of toothpaste he likes?  Do you worry about your flight attendant not having a warm sweater?  Don't be ridiculous, this is all about you, and you're here to give yourself a big pat on the back.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Do you go to Vegas and ask the blackjack dealer what kind of toothpaste he likes?  Do you worry about your flight attendant not having a warm sweater?

They have full access to stores on mainland. Do you really not see the difference between them and a cruise worker who doesn't get time off to go to the store in any port they like?

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

We spoke with another passenger on our last cruise and they mentioned that they asked the cabin steward if they needed anything.  They mentioned the steward like Coke Cola.  The passenger left cans of unopened in the room.  We asked our steward and he asked for bottles of water.  We are not big drinkers and we get our drink vouchers.  At the end of the evening we would get bottles of water and leave them in the room.  He was so very happy with our thoughtfulness.  We also tip in cash at the end of our trip.  It doesn't take much to make us feel good.

2 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

P.S. Actually, I am hoping to find a crew member from my country of origin and ask what THEY would need in particular. Most people there are destitute, contrary to what other PPs think.

Geesh.  I said the crew members aren't destitute.  They also send money back to their families.  We've met several crew members who have talked about sending money home so their wives and mothers don't have to work and also they are able to buy a home for their family.  A lot have the money saved when they return home for good to start a new business.  Several have told us that.

I always wondered, how people get hired to work on board of this cruisers. Someone told me there is like a special school for it or something. In any case, I will go search for some Discover channel documentery about it. I rememeber there was something about it in it 

I wonder if all crew is barred from going ashore or just some.

My new friend who we met several years ago is an entertainer.

She has a citizenship of UK.

She recently posted pictures on Facebook about her trip to Mexican ruins while

working on board of RCI ship.

During our August cruise on Adventure of the Seas, my massage therapist specifically requested sunscreen because they were having trouble getting it. I told her I had brought many travel size spray sunscreens and would drop off whatever I didn't use, which I did on the last night and the receptionist at the spa confirmed everyone was having trouble getting sunscreen. So, things may have changed, but they were happy to get my "leftovers", probably because they were spray bottles that couldn't be tampered with.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Oh good grief! This is all ridiculous.  They're doing a JOB. A job they signed up for and chose to pursue.  Treat them like the professionals they are, treat them with dignity.  If it's a position where to do so is appropriate, and you want  to offer more, give them money.  Anyone buying socks or providing other such items for crew members is only feeding their own fragile ego.

Have you ever lived paycheck-to-paycheck, been unemployed, worked so many hours you literally had NO time to go to the store?  If not, you wouldn't understand what some of us are talking about. 

Living on a ship for 6-9 months at a time is a grind.  Thank goodness they can now order from Amazon. 

I commend people that will bring a crew member their favorite snack, or soft drink, or whatever.  It's not being disrespectful, it's being a "mensch"......look it up.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

I wonder if all crew is barred from going ashore or just some.

My new friend who we met several years ago is an entertainer.

She has a citizenship of UK.

She recently posted pictures on Facebook about her trip to Mexican ruins while

working on board of RCI ship.

They aren't.  We've been on several trips where the room attendant told us he was going to be going off the ship the next afternoon and wouldn't be available for service, so if we wanted something to ask early.  Many work lots of hours but they are not confined to the ship as some would like to make it sound.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

They aren't.  We've been on several trips where the room attendant told us he was going to be going off the ship the next afternoon and wouldn't be available for service, so if we wanted something to ask early.  Many work lots of hours but they are not confined to the ship as some would like to make it sound.

after the restart?

7 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

You may be pleasantly surprised to learn a lot of them will use the products or say their cabin mate uses that and would love to have it.

Funny a response from someone said “would you use a opened product “. However now the ships refill soap, shampoo and conditioner.  They might be contaminated.  So don’t use them. Also they refill hand sanitizers refilled around the ship

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

We leave items in our stateroom .  We do not take home toothpaste,  mouthwash, hairspray and other toiletries.   I "assume" that the housekeeping staff keeps those supplies.  

Jordan Bauth's "Aboard with Jord" vlogs on life as a cruise ship employee and has shown the employee store several times along with all the perks that go with being a ship employee.  She also does a ton of vlogs opening her Amazon packages.  She orders months worth of her preferred brands so as not to run out.  She has opened false eyelashes, makeup, clothes (including socks,) makeup remover pads, etc.   They can and do have opportunities to get what they want, even during covid. But cash is the key to getting the products they prefer.

I am not falling for the "we can't get this or that" stories. 

It cracks me up when someone says how happy their room stewards are when they get their charity donations as it is like some kind of validation. You do realize the employees are all highly trained customer service professionals, everyone from laundry up to your cruise director? What do you think they are going to do when they get deodorant? Tell you they don't want or need it? Of course not.  You are the customer and you are made to feel special even if they are thinking "how stupid" under their breaths.

Cash. Cash is king. If you want to feel validated, don't remove your gratuities and tip generously on top of it for excellent service. Add the cash that you would spend buying tampons or aftershave or socks or deodorant.  With cash, they can buy their own preferred brand. You have no idea if they prefer Tampax or Kotex. How many of you bring your own brands of hygiene products that you are partial to?  Why would you think any less of the employees that they are desperate enough to use any brand, especially dollar store crap?

Edited by cured
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Funny a response from someone said “would you use a opened product “. However now the ships refill soap, shampoo and conditioner.  They might be contaminated.  So don’t use them. Also they refill hand sanitizers refilled around the ship

Hand sanitizers come in prefilled containers that fit in the dispensers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Thinking people will use your leftover crap just because you don't want to lug it home is just plain gross.  You say the employees work so hard, yet you leave more work for them by leaving all your half used stuff behind because you don't "want the weight" in your luggage.  This is about you, not about the employees.

I dare you to use the previous cabin's leftover toothpaste or mouthwash the next time you are on a cruise. 

The fact that you think so low of the employees that you keep insisting they would use leftover toothpaste tells a lot.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, cured said:

Jordan Bauth's "Aboard with Jord" vlogs on life as a cruise ship employee has shown the employee store several times along with all the perks that go with being a ship employee.  She also does a ton of vlogs opening her Amazon packages.  She orders months worth of her preferred brands so as not to run out.  She has opened false eyelashes, makeup, clothes (including socks,) makeup remover pads, etc.   They can and do have opportunities to get what they want, even during covid. But cash is the key to getting the products they prefer.

I am not falling for the "we can't get this or that" stories. 

It cracks me up when someone says how happy their room stewards are when they get their charity donations as it is like some kind of validation. You do realize the employees are all highly trained customer service professionals, everyone from laundry up to your cruise director? What do you think they are going to do when they get deodorant? Tell you they don't want or need it? Of course not.  You are the customer and you are made to feel special even if they are thinking "how stupid" under their breaths.

Cash. Cash is king. If you want to feel validated, don't remove your gratuities and tip generously on top of it for excellent service. Add the cash that you would spend buying tampons or aftershave or socks or deodorant.  With cash, they can buy their own preferred brand. You have no idea if they prefer Tampax or Kotex. How many of you bring your own brands of hygiene products that you are partial to?  Why would you think any less of the employees that they are desperate enough to use any brand, especially dollar store crap?

I've watched Jordan's videos.  They can get what they want/need even if it means waiting a week or two for deliveries.  And even though Jordan is an ice skater and not in a tipped position, I guarantee she is nice and polite to everyone she meets onboard.   I don't for a minute begin to think that they are ever going to say they don't want something given to them.  They smile and say thank you and if it's something they don't want, they give it away or throw it out.  Anyone who has ever worked in a tipped position knows you are polite to everyone, all the time.  Even though I use salon quality hair products, I can make do with whatever I have available, which I'm sure the crew can too.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

Who said anything about dollar store crap?  Every been to some of the local shopping centers in some of these ports?  By the way, there aren't any Dollar Stores in the Caribbean, Bahamas, Cozumel, Costa Maya, or Grand Cayman that I know of.......

Who said these people are reducing their gratuities?  Most, if not all, give MORE than what's requested by RCCL.

Most crew members who work for housekeeping have little free time until it's their regular day, and if that doesn't coincide with a port day, then they have no opportunity to buy off-ship (again, thank goodness for Amazon).  

To correct someone's previous post:  if a crew member doesn't want something, they know someone who DOES!  

What is your cruise history?  Where have you sailed?

Edited by pcur

14 minutes ago, cured said:

Thinking people will use your leftover crap just because you don't want to lug it home is just plain gross.  You say the employees work so hard, yet you leave more work for them by leaving all your half used stuff behind because you don't "want the weight" in your luggage.  This is about you, not about the employees.

I dare you to use the previous cabin's leftover toothpaste or mouthwash the next time you are on a cruise. 

The fact that you think so low of the employees, or "these people" as you degradingly refer to the professionals making your vacation stellar,  that you keep insisting they would use leftover toothpaste tells a lot.