For those who want to give the crew gifts here is a list from Chris

Iamcruzin

8 minutes ago, jaygatsby27 said:

I keep hearing from folks that the crew are having to pay a lot of money for the supplies they buy from RC right now and that they could use some things but I can't seem to find anything specific anywhere.  I don't think NBA jerseys are included. 

This is why cash is the best gift.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

So if someone says to me, can I buy you a bottle of body wash, a magnet, M&M's, or cash...🙄

heres my point.  I can give a guy 10 dollars or i can give him stuff that cost me 10 dollars but will cost him 30 dollars from the rc store.  he's better off with the stuff.

• Like 6

On 11/1/2021 at 11:43 AM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I would, but I am limited to bubble excursions at the moment and cannot just go shopping in port whenever I wish. And in some ports, everyone is limited to bubble excursions at this time.

The ports that require bubble excursions do you allow you to shop at the port.  I know St. Kitts allows this and I believe Barbados does too.    Most will require you to wear a mask when entering their stores. 

4 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

The ports that require bubble excursions do you allow you to shop at the port.  I know St. Kitts allows this and I believe Barbados does too.    Most will require you to wear a mask when entering their stores. 

I would expecr everyone to require a mask with the level of vaccination being so low.  I would still be willing to grab some things for folks onboard so I guess i'll just ask.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jaygatsby27 said:

I would expecr everyone to require a mask with the level of vaccination being so low.  I would still be willing to grab some things for folks onboard so I guess i'll just ask.

I think it's great to ask if you can pick something up for a crew member, but to give them something  that they may or may not need or want just because it makes the person giving the "gift" feel good is a really bad idea.  Cash is best.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mek said:

I think it's great to ask if you can pick something up for a crew member, but to give them something  that they may or may not need or want just because it makes the person giving the "gift" feel good is a really bad idea.  Cash is best.

Tip early, often and generously, cash can be shared with their family back home, candy, soap etc, not so much.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jaygatsby27 said:

heres my point.  I can give a guy 10 dollars or i can give him stuff that cost me 10 dollars but will cost him 30 dollars from the rc store.  he's better off with the stuff.

Unless you know ahead of time what is specifically needed you will be pay $40 in on board store.  Call me selfish but I prefer to spend my time researching ports of call, pre cruise hotel area and excursions before the cruise and not a wish list for the crew that I haven't even met yet.

I'm in the middle of a run of five cruises.  I've asked staff on all my cruises, and only ONE asked for me to pick something up in port, and it was a very specific item.  Everyone else has stated that they can get what they need in the on-board store for the crew.  

However, I will tell you that when I tip a dollar for my drinks (whether my free Diamond voucher drinks or my soda package drinks), their eyes light up SO MUCH and they often even comment how much they appreciate it. 

I tipped the same way in The Before Times, and I never recall seeing that same level of excitement over a single dollar bill as I've seen on these past three cruises (all on different ships, too).  Before, it was just "part of the transaction" -- they'd hand back my card and I'd hand over the tip at the same time, and they'd put the tip in their pocket or in the jar on the bar... just an ordinary transaction. 

But the BIG reaction I'm seeing to the $1 tip these days is totally different -- it's almost like they're surprised (in a good way) that someone is actually tipping them in cash.  

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I'm in the middle of a run of five cruises.  I've asked staff on all my cruises, and only ONE asked for me to pick something up in port, and it was a very specific item.  Everyone else has stated that they can get what they need in the on-board store for the crew.  

However, I will tell you that when I tip a dollar for my drinks (whether my free Diamond voucher drinks or my soda package drinks), their eyes light up SO MUCH and they often even comment how much they appreciate it. 

I tipped the same way in The Before Times, and I never recall seeing that same level of excitement over a single dollar bill as I've seen on these past three cruises (all on different ships, too).  Before, it was just "part of the transaction" -- they'd hand back my card and I'd hand over the tip at the same time, and they'd put the tip in their pocket or in the jar on the bar... just an ordinary transaction. 

But the BIG reaction I'm seeing to the $1 tip these days is totally different -- it's almost like they're surprised (in a good way) that someone is actually tipping them in cash.  

I always tip an extra dollar when I order a drink from the drink package that I always get. Do you think I should do cash or is on the receipt ok? I hate carrying cash but I will do it. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

I always tip an extra dollar when I order a drink from the drink package that I always get. Do you think I should do cash or is on the receipt ok? I hate carrying cash but I will do it. 

Cash is king...or so the saying goes.  We always tip in cash...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/30/2021 at 4:23 PM, publicpersona said:

SIM cards are a bit tricky. It depends on what kind of phone they have. Generally speaking, older phones (even 3-4 years ago) had modems that were either GSM or CDMA. A phone that only had a GSM modem (e.g. an iPhone 6 that was purchased originally through AT&T) couldn't use a SIM card for a Verizon or Sprint network.

Many newer phones have dual modems, so can handle either. This assumes their phone isn't locked to a specific carrier.

I would think there's a good possibility that a SIM card you purchase for them won't be usable, but perhaps they swap them around with someone that could use that one.

CDMA phones did not typically use SIM cards.   TDMA did not either.

GSM and later phones (2G, 3G, 4G, LTE, and 5G) do use sim cards.

Yes, some phones are locked to the carrier.  But most people who travel a lot internationally buy unlocked phones or have their phone unlocked.  In many countries, they can unlock your phone in a matter of minutes for a few dollars.    US carriers (except T-Mobile) typically will not unlock your phone unless you have fully paid for it.  T-Mobile has unlocked my phones with them with no question, just telling them I travel internationally.

20 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Unless you know ahead of time what is specifically needed you will be pay $40 in on board store.  Call me selfish but I prefer to spend my time researching ports of call, pre cruise hotel area and excursions before the cruise and not a wish list for the crew that I haven't even met yet.

Exactly this.  If your concern is that the crew member is spending $40 on supplies in the crew store that you can get for $20 in town, then just give her $40.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SRF said:

CDMA phones did not typically use SIM cards.   TDMA did not either.

GSM and later phones (2G, 3G, 4G, LTE, and 5G) do use sim cards.

Yes, some phones are locked to the carrier.  But most people who travel a lot internationally buy unlocked phones or have their phone unlocked.  In many countries, they can unlock your phone in a matter of minutes for a few dollars.    US carriers (except T-Mobile) typically will not unlock your phone unless you have fully paid for it.  T-Mobile has unlocked my phones with them with no question, just telling them I travel internationally.

These  dollar store gift givers are probably the same people who are so proud that they lock their flip phones in the safe upon boarding. This information is way above their pay grade.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2021 at 3:47 PM, jaygatsby27 said:

The good news is I got in contact with a crew member from my cruise that I know from past cruises abd he gave me done things, so I’m good. 

We will pick personal items from a dollar store for our cabin/dining wait staffs and these are not in place of our regular tips for their excellent work.  On our cruise in October they told us they could get some items on board but those would cost THE SAME as we are paying at the ship store.  

• Like 1

On 12/2/2021 at 7:01 PM, Iamcruzin said:

Call me selfish but I prefer to spend my time researching ports of call, pre cruise hotel area and excursions before the cruise and not a wish list for the crew that I haven't even met yet.

Yet, here you are..... on page 3

• Like 2