Test at pier? Or can you test within 48 hours prior?

PTC DAWG

• PTC DAWG changed the title to Test at pier? Or can you test within 48 hours prior?

Royal makes you arrange your own test at your own expense. NCL tests everyone for no charge (i.e. included in cruise fare) before embarkation. But there are no exemptions from their test, no matter how many tests you do on your own before arriving at the pier.

55 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Thinking Of Escape Nov 20, 2021…

I took a home proctored test for a recent Royal Cruise..

any help appreciated…

As @Shellbelle28said, you WILL be tested at the pier, regardless. 

NCL "strongly recommends" another test (proctored is OK) 96 hours before.  I'm going to do this before my cruise. If for no other reason, you don't want to get stuck in quarantine in a strange city, potentially at your own expense, if you're already positive.  If you test negative a few days before, there's a slim but non-zero chance you'll be positive by the time you get to the port.  If you've had that qualified test beforehand, NCL will at least assist with your quarantine costs.

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 2

I hate to ask but just want to be sure: Is it 96 hours or 4 days?

For example the ship sails on a Sunday at 4pm. 
Can I get tested ANY time on the prior Wednesday, or will it need to be after 4pm?

Thanks for all the help. 🙂

4 minutes ago, dobiemom said:

I hate to ask but just want to be sure: Is it 96 hours or 4 days?

For example the ship sails on a Sunday at 4pm. 
Can I get tested ANY time on the prior Wednesday, or will it need to be after 4pm?

Thanks for all the help. 🙂

We were told for the last cruise I went on it was 96 hours from 8am embarkation day.

22 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Thinking Of Escape Nov 20, 2021…

I took a home proctored test for a recent Royal Cruise..

any help appreciated…

100% of the passengers test at check in. 

Everyone should test nlt 96 hours before cruise to be supported by NCL in the event you test positive at the port.  

Imagine getting a test (with negative result) at 8am, 4 days before sailing, and then testing positive at the pier at 12 noon on embarkation day, and having them refuse you any assistance because the test you arranged is now more than 96 hours old. Likely/unlikely? I don't know, but why risk it? Unless you can get a more specific interpretation of the 96 hours from NCL, in writing, I would say try to get tested in the late afternoon, or anytime the next day.

33 minutes ago, jskinsd said:

Amazing.  It took 38 hours at CVS for my last two tests.

You tests were undoubtedly PCR tests, and they were sent out to a lab for processing. The NCL test at the pier is an antigen test, and processed right there. And if you fail the antigen test and are given a PCR test to confirm the result that test is also processed right there.

1 hour ago, jskinsd said:

Amazing.  It took 38 hours at CVS for my last two tests.

But aren't these two different tests??  As I do NOT mean to contradict....as I am also trying to figure this all out for our upcoming cruise.....I "used" to think that I was reasonable intelligent.....lol!

8 hours ago, jskinsd said:

How fast are the results when NCL tests at the pier?

It’s an antigen rapid test. Should take 15 min. Ours took 75 mins from test to results. 

Now, you add the time in line to register, registration time, time in line to get tested,,,,, now you wait for results,,,, then when your number is called you wait in line to get your results and wrist band. 

Edited by BirdTravels

On 11/4/2021 at 3:58 PM, Shellbelle28 said:

Everyone tests at the pier before boarding, no other options. Testing in advance is basically only to have some assurance that you won't fly to the port and end up with a positive test. 

Testing in advance allows you to get NCL pay for hotel and food if you have to quarantine after failing embarkation test. 

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Testing in advance allows you to get NCL pay for hotel and food if you have to quarantine after failing embarkation test. 

Is this true without their insurance? I have insurance through insuremytrip, not ncl. I think for them to give refund, etc. You need their insurance.

Focusing purely on the Bermuda "96 hour" testing requirement by the Bermuda government....according to their website, they aren't picky about surgically figuring out boarding time and backtracking what is exactly 96 hours.  Their website, instead, suggests getting the PCR test as soon or earliest as possible 4 days prior to departure.

Bermuda has a financial interest in allowing a lenient interpretation of the rule: it lets more tourists in. On the contrary, it serves NCL's financial interest to count the hours strictly and deny people's claims. I'm not saying they will do that, I'm just saying that I would protect myself by arranging a test that is incontestably within 96 hours of sailing, no matter how anyone tries to measure it.

1 hour ago, hawkeyetlse said:

I'm not saying they will do that, I'm just saying that I would protect myself by arranging a test that is incontestably within 96 hours of sailing, no matter how anyone tries to measure it.

This is what NCL's website currently states:

"We strongly encourage all guests to take a COVID-19 PCR test within 96-hours prior to their sail date as an added precaution. "

If I sail on Saturday, Dec 1 then Dec 1 is my "sail date".  It begins at 12:01 am.  I can get my test any time after 12:01 am on Tuesday and I am in compliance.  Nowhere in their text does it use the words "within 96 hours of sailing."

If you are not allowed to board and take the cruise because of positive test, does NCL give you a refund or FCC even if you don’t have insurance?  My in laws are looking and wanted to find out some info.  I was trying to search to see if this has happened and what, if any, NCL did.  It would suck to show up, test positive, not be able to cruise and lose the monies you paid.

12 minutes ago, gatorchinsky said:

If you are not allowed to board and take the cruise because of positive test, does NCL give you a refund or FCC even if you don’t have insurance?  My in laws are looking and wanted to find out some info.  I was trying to search to see if this has happened and what, if any, NCL did.  It would suck to show up, test positive, not be able to cruise and lose the monies you paid.

https://www.ncl.com/refund-and-cancellation-policy-covid-19

Denial of Embarkation or Reboarding; Quarantine and/or Disembarkation**

• If you, your family members, travelling companions or other close contacts are denied embarkation or reboarding, or are quarantined or disembarked during the voyage, due to a positive COVID-19 test or being suspected of having COVID-19, you and they are entitled to a prorated refund, or an optional Future Cruise Credit (“FCC”), for the amount paid to Norwegian in the event of denial at embarkation, or the unused portion of your fare in all other cases
Edited by julig22
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, julig22 said:

• If you, your family members, travelling companions or other close contacts are denied embarkation or reboarding, or are quarantined or disembarked during the voyage, due to a positive COVID-19 test or being suspected of having COVID-19, you and they are entitled to a prorated refund, or an optional Future Cruise Credit (“FCC”), for the amount paid to Norwegian in the event of denial at embarkation, or the unused portion of your fare in all other cases

Thank you!  I can’t believe I didn’t see this when I first glanced over.

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

Are we 100 percent sure this is true without their insurance. I was under impression this is true only with their insurance. I do have insurance they covers covid and quarantine.