Test at pier? Or can you test within 48 hours prior?

PTC DAWG

19 minutes ago, thepla said:

Are we 100 percent sure this is true without their insurance. I was under impression this is true only with their insurance. I do have insurance they covers covid and quarantine.

Straight from the NCL website.  This has nothing to do with insurance.  It is part of the cancellation policy.

However, if you have expenses because you are denied boarding, then NCL has stated that they will assist you with expenses not covered by insurance.  ASFAIK, they have never stated that you have to have their insurance (or any for that matter) to get that assistance - only that you have to have a negative test taken before getting to the port.

So it seems that if I test positive at the port I'll get reimbursed one way or another for the cruise itself. Since I live in Connecticut and I'm just taking a train into NYC there seems to be no real reason to get the early test other than peace of mind. Is there anything else that happens if you test positive?

7 hours ago, nferr said:

Since I live in Connecticut and I'm just taking a train into NYC there seems to be no real reason to get the early test other than peace of mind. Is there anything else that happens if you test positive?

If you test positive at the pier, how are you going to get back home to CT? I guess no one's going to stop you from getting on the train, but it's not the right thing to do. If you show a negative test from within the last 4 days, NCL will supposedly "assist" with transportation costs to get you home to quarantine. I don't know if that means a rental car or car service or what.

12 hours ago, hawkeyetlse said:

If you test positive at the pier, how are you going to get back home to CT? I guess no one's going to stop you from getting on the train, but it's not the right thing to do. If you show a negative test from within the last 4 days, NCL will supposedly "assist" with transportation costs to get you home to quarantine. I don't know if that means a rental car or car service or what.

Well it's 60 miles home so I'm not worrying about that.  Come in masked on the train, go home masked on the train. I'll probably do the rapid test anyway just so I know ahead of time. All vaccinated and boosted so not too worried.

1 hour ago, nferr said:

Well it's 60 miles home so I'm not worrying about that.  Come in masked on the train, go home masked on the train. I'll probably do the rapid test anyway just so I know ahead of time. All vaccinated and boosted so not too worried.

Many of us are not that close to the pier.  We are vaccinated, boosted, and will take a test prior to getting on the plane for a 4 hour flight.   

It's extremely important for us to have travel insurance plus a pre-test.   

34 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

Many of us are not that close to the pier.  We are vaccinated, boosted, and will take a test prior to getting on the plane for a 4 hour flight.   

It's extremely important for us to have travel insurance plus a pre-test.   

Definitely if you're flying in.  It's a $10 train ticket for me. I love cruising out of NY.

What is the cost for a PCR test at CVS for the 96 hrs before cruising?  Does insurance cover it?  If your insurance does not cover for reasons of travel does the government cover it?  We have 6 of us traveling and have all been vaccinated and a booster shot but want to be sure before we leave but if we have to pay out of pocket for a PCR test that could add up.  We are in NYS.

1 hour ago, NYAngie said:

What is the cost for a PCR test at CVS for the 96 hrs before cruising?  Does insurance cover it?  If your insurance does not cover for reasons of travel does the government cover it?  We have 6 of us traveling and have all been vaccinated and a booster shot but want to be sure before we leave but if we have to pay out of pocket for a PCR test that could add up.  We are in NYS.

I tried to go to CVS for a mock appointment. SInce I had no symptons they wanted over $100 per person. I've read of a few scams out there where they say no charge, take insurance card, than peron gets a bill for not covered and costs quite a bit.

9 minutes ago, thepla said:

I tried to go to CVS for a mock appointment. SInce I had no symptons they wanted over $100 per person. I've read of a few scams out there where they say no charge, take insurance card, than peron gets a bill for not covered and costs quite a bit.

It's $139 for a PCR test at CVS near me. I think the rapid test is free. Have to research more when it gets closer to cruise time. I'm doing RCCL on Jan. 31, NCL transatlantic isn't till April 2.

Edited by nferr

10 minutes ago, nferr said:

It's $139 for a PCR test at CVS near me. I think the rapid test is free. Have to research more when it gets closer to cruise time. I'm doing RCCL on Jan. 31, NCL transatlantic isn't till April 2.

I have had several PCR tests at CVS and Walgreens and have never been charged. This is the first I have heard of CVS charging for tests. They should be offered for free through the Federal contract CVS and Walgreens have through the CARES act....

It says right at the top of the CVS page:

"$0 out-of-pocket cost with insurance or federal program for uninsured"

https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Thanks 1

I have also had several PCR tests at CVS over the past few months (last test was in October) and have never been charged.

I usually get my test results back within 48 hours and I'm also vaccinated.

Once a month, I make an appointment online and use the cvs drive thru line for testing.

I still plan on getting a PCR test at CVS within 72 hours of my next voyage with the understanding that I will still need a rapid test once I 'm at the pier for embarkation.

Safe travels,

- WYB

Edited by WYB!

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I have had several PCR tests at CVS and Walgreens and have never been charged. This is the first I have heard of CVS charging for tests. They should be offered for free through the Federal contract CVS and Walgreens have through the CARES act....

It says right at the top of the CVS page:

"$0 out-of-pocket cost with insurance or federal program for uninsured"

https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing

You're right! When I google searched it went directly to a CVS "you-pay page". That's if you have no insurance, I have medicare so it's free. Thanks.

Back in August ( in preparation for my Alaska cruise) I called MinuteClinic (who does the testing for CVS) and explained that my health insurance would NOT cover the test since I am asymptomatic. I asked if I would be eligible for the federal program for testing. Customer service rep (Reina) said no, since I’m asymptotic the test would be $120 (which is strange because the website says $139). 

I have another cruise coming up so I have an appt this week at CVS. I’m going to ask IN PERSON what’s the scoop. I will NOT be giving CVS my credit card. 

I’ll be back to let y’all know what they say. 

On 11/5/2021 at 4:51 PM, BirdTravels said:

100% of the passengers test at check in. 

Everyone should test nlt 96 hours before cruise to be supported by NCL in the event you test positive at the port.  

We are driving to the port. If one of us tests positive at the port, will NCL just allow us to drive back home?

7 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I can't imagine what they would do to prevent you from doing so.

I honestly don't think the cruise line can detain someone if they have their car at the port and within driving distance to home. I just want to be sure. Anyone in that situation?

2 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I honestly don't think the cruise line can detain someone if they have their car at the port and within driving distance to home. I just want to be sure. Anyone in that situation?

I agree with you.  Your question, however, is buried in this thread, which is not on point.  I suggest you start a thread to ask your question specifically, so that you are more likely to get a reply from folks who actually know the answer.   For example, I'm sure many folks drove to the pier in NY for the Breakaway's Bermuda cruises, or took a car service, etc.  

Good luck!  (And I hope you never need to use the information!)

Once you are denied boarding for testing positive, and decline any assistance from the cruise line, you are totally not their problem anymore. I assume they report your positive test to the local health authorities, and you become their problem, but they will tell you do exactly what you were going to do anyway: get in your car and drive directly home to isolate for 10 days.

13 minutes ago, hawkeyetlse said:

Once you are denied boarding for testing positive, and decline any assistance from the cruise line, you are totally not their problem anymore. I assume they report your positive test to the local health authorities, and you become their problem, but they will tell you do exactly what you were going to do anyway: get in your car and drive directly home to isolate for 10 days.

Agree!

thats... the definition of a wholly owned subsidiary.. If you read the SEC disclosures they mention Sixthman.

its like Woot, Zappos, Ring are all to Amazon.

from NCL's SEC filing,

"Our meetings, incentives and charters channel focuses on full ship charters as well as corporate meetings and incentive travel. These sales often have very long lead times and can fill a significant portion of the ship’s capacity, or even an entire sailing, in one transaction. Sixthman, a subsidiary company specializing in developing and delivering music-oriented charters, provides a market that enables travel advisors to sell high-quality music experiences at sea to guests."

And.. from the email I got:

"We're sending this information on behalf of Norwegian Cruise Line to ensure all our guests sailing this Fall have these important requirements prior to embarkation day."

"For Sixthman events on Norwegian Gem this Fall, all guests are required to take a COVID-19 PCR test within 96-hours prior to their sail date as an added precaution. During embarkation all guests must present a negative PCR test result from a test taken after 8:00am on October 17, 2021.  The test result must include the guest's first and last name, date of birth, and date the test was taken and must be presented with proof of vaccination."

so please.. tell me I am spreading misinformation. 🙂

1 hour ago, scar4711 said:

"For Sixthman events on Norwegian Gem this Fall, all guests are required to take a COVID-19 PCR test within 96-hours prior to their sail date as an added precaution. During embarkation all guests must present a negative PCR test result from a test taken after 8:00am on October 17, 2021.  The test result must include the guest's first and last name, date of birth, and date the test was taken and must be presented with proof of vaccination."

so please.. tell me I am spreading misinformation. 🙂

The misinformation was when you said the 96 hours counted back from 8 am on the sailing date.  That is not what your (correct) posting above indicates.  It's 96 hours before sail date.  I really don't know why you're looking to a "wholly owned independent subsidiary" for guidance on NCL policies.  Why not just rely on NCL's written information?

• Like 1

On 11/8/2021 at 2:55 PM, RumRunner2021 said:

No.  They're not.

"We are a stand alone entity that interacts with Norwegian the same way we did before."

Sixthman

I believe that you are spreading misinformation about the 96 hour window.

On 11/9/2021 at 1:59 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

The misinformation was when you said the 96 hours counted back from 8 am on the sailing date.  That is not what your (correct) posting above indicates.  It's 96 hours before sail date.  I really don't know why you're looking to a "wholly owned independent subsidiary" for guidance on NCL policies.  Why not just rely on NCL's written information?

The email sent was on behalf of NCL.. 

whatever.. this isnt worth arguing over. 🙂