A few of us got covid on the Magic's Oct 23rd sailing. Who and how do I report it to Carnival?

ohioNCLcruiser

Hi all,

Several people, including myself, were hit hard with covid symptoms the night we disembarked the Magic after an 8 day sailing. Tested positive on PCR tests the next morning. I feel like I need to report it but I'm having a hard time doing it. The post cruise desk telephone is closed, that department didn't answer my email, the regular phone agent wasn't sure. How should I go about reporting it? Thank you

Edited by ohioNCLcruiser
  • Thanks 3

Well in a perfect world your State health dept should have contacted you to do contact tracing to determine who youve been around so they can inform them if needed and once informed that you just got off a cruise they would  report it to the CDC who would then follow up with the Cruise Line.  But nothin is perfect.......

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

Try this...For any post-cruise issues that require assistance, please send a detailed email to guestcare@carnival.com. Please allow some time for a response, as we are operating with reduced staffing. Thank you for your understanding. - https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/contact-us.aspx

I sent them an email the day I got tested positive so hopefully someone saw it. Thanks!

14 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

Well in a perfect world your State health dept should have contacted you to do contact tracing to determine who youve been around so they can inform them if needed and once informed that you just got off a cruise they would  report it to the CDC who would then follow up with the Cruise Line.  But nothin is perfect.......

I don't believe any contact tracing is being done, or has been done for a very long time. As far as I know, it is up to me to let me close contacts know. When I tested positive, the nurse called and said, "you're positive, quarantine for 10 days or until 2 days after symptoms stop". End of discussion and instructions. Didn't ask about recent travel, close contacts, etc.

29 minutes ago, ohioNCLcruiser said:

Hi all,

Several people, including myself, were hit hard with covid symptoms the night we disembarked the Magic after an 8 day sailing. Tested positive on PCR tests the next morning. I feel like I need to report it but I'm having a hard time doing it. The post cruise desk telephone is closed, that department didn't answer my email, the regular phone agent wasn't sure. How should I go about reporting it? Thank you

I hope that you all are feeling better by now!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

I hope that you all are feeling better by now!

I've never felt sicker but getting through it. Luckiy just intense chills, aches and lost of taste and smell but no breathing or blood oxygen level issues. Day 5 so hopefully gets better soon. Thanks!

• Like 3

I suspect Carnival's position is "It all happened after you debarked, so we don't care".

As ScottsSweetie said, in general Covid cases just seem to be considered an ordinary occurrence now. Though you'd think the CDC would want the data point in the case of a cruise to evaluate how their Conditional Sailing Order is going. On the other hand, Carnival has reason to not want additional data points such as yours if they can avoid them.

Edited by Earthworm Jim
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I suspect Carnival's position is "It all happened after you debarked, so we don't care".

As ScottsSweetie said, in general Covid cases just seem to be considered an ordinary occurrence now. Though you'd think the CDC would want the data point in the case of a cruise to evaluate how their Conditional Sailing Order is going. On the other hand, Carnival has reason to not want additional data points such as yours if they can avoid them.

I think you are spot on when you say Carnival (and one could substitute any other cruise line) does not really want to know. But I also think the CDC would want to know.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Just curious, were you and the affected people vaccinated?

Wouldn't they have had to be vaccinated to be on the cruise? I guess they could have gotten a medical exemption. Or been a kid under 12. But those should be the only two unvaccinated groups.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, ohioNCLcruiser said:

Hi all,

Also, how many of you who got sick after the cruise went into airport terminals and flew on airlines. There really had to be a lot of close contacts in addition to those onboard your cruise.

4 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Also, how many of you who got sick after the cruise went into airport terminals and flew on airlines. There really had to be a lot of close contacts in addition to those onboard your cruise.

Timeline would not be right for that since they said they got symptoms on debark night. Most likely got it on the ship or in a port.

3 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

Timeline would not be right for that since they said they got symptoms on debark night. Most likely got it on the ship or in a port.

Yes, I realize that. What I was trying to get across was that there is a possibility that they spread it widely after leaving the ship.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, I realize that. What I was trying to get across was that there is a possibility that they spread it widely after leaving the ship.

And that being the case I'm guessing the airline should also be notified. Though I have a feeling they would be just as interested as Carnival is.

25 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Wouldn't they have had to be vaccinated to be on the cruise? I guess they could have gotten a medical exemption. Or been a kid under 12. But those should be the only two unvaccinated groups.

Being vaccinated doesn't prevent you from catching COVID.  Only lessens the symptoms and reduces need for hospitalization.   But there are cruisers who aren't vaccinated and not children, although that's the bulk. 

So someone on board, crew or passenger, had COVID, just maybe not showing symptoms yet and tested negative before boarding.

Sorry the OP contracted COVID, but doesn't appear symptom are serious enough for hospital,  so vax is "working"

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

You can get an app to let you know if you may have been exposed (if it is enabled).

What app is this? I have the one from my state health department, but is there a general one/one for cruisers? If so, I'd like to install before my December cruise! 

1 minute ago, Embem said:

What app is this? I have the one from my state health department, but is there a general one/one for cruisers? If so, I'd like to install before my December cruise! 

I occasionally get messages on my phone asking me if I want to be notified. If it pops up again, I'll to pay more attention.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScottsSweetie said:

I don't believe any contact tracing is being done, or has been done for a very long time. As far as I know, it is up to me to let me close contacts know. When I tested positive, the nurse called and said, "you're positive, quarantine for 10 days or until 2 days after symptoms stop". End of discussion and instructions. Didn't ask about recent travel, close contacts, etc.

i did say in a perfect world....

On mask wearing, they help, period. Now on my third cruise this year, each time it seems like more and more try to ignore rules and recommendations. Carnival has some mask police, but not enough to assign one to each cruiser. I have seen a number of people told to mask up, but also a number of others that escape. If there is an uptick in cases, it is good circumstantial evidence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Listed on the CDC's Cruise Ship Color Status chart, Magic is listed as "CDC has started an investigation".  Looks like the CDC is paying attention and is looking into the situation.  

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/cruise-ship-color-status.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Ftravelers%2Fcrew-disembarkations-commercial-travel.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

I occasionally get messages on my phone asking me if I want to be notified. If it pops up again, I'll to pay more attention.

I got a pop up like that recently when I visited California - it seemed to be a local app only, and only works if everyone else has downloaded the app as well.