Cruising out of New York/New Jersey

mfs2k

I've lived in the suburbs of New York for my whole life and my wife has lived here for 25 years.

We've taken 2 cruises (out of about 14) from NY/NJ together and we just booked another for next year.  ("Beyond" repositioning 9 night 10/26/22 from Cape Liberty, NJ to Fort Lauderdale with stops in Bermuda, Aruba and Curacao)

My wife:  "I love the convenience of sailing out of the NY area but the problem is we're sailing with a boatload of intense, super wired, and obnoxious New Yorkers and New Jerseyites.  People sailing out of Florida or New Orleans are so much nicer! " 

Me:  [thinking]  "Yeah, they're all intense like us."

Edited by mfs2k
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

14 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

I've lived in the suburbs of New York for my whole life and my wife has lived here for 25 years.

We've taken 2 cruises (out of about 14) from NY/NJ together and we just booked another for next year.  ("Beyond" repositioning 9 night 10/26/22 from Cape Liberty, NJ to Fort Lauderdale with stops in Bermuda, Aruba and Curacao)

My wife:  "I love the convenience of sailing out of the NY area but the problem is we're sailing with a boatload of intense, super wired, and obnoxious New Yorkers and New Jerseyites.  People sailing out of Florida or New Orleans are so much nicer! " 

There's truth in what you're saying. 

On the other hand the same can be said sailing out of Galveston with Texans on board all telling you about about their flag and that they can secede from the Union. In many respects Texans are very much like NY'ers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, mfs2k said:

I can relate! I made the mistake of taking a cruise out of Boston to Bermuda! WOW! The entire week was like an insane frat party! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

On the other hand the same can be said sailing out of Galveston with Texans on board all telling you about about their flag and that they can secede from the Union. In many respects Texans are very much like NY'ers. 

You are so right about that. I don't know how many folks in other parts of the world have told me that, when they ask anyone from the USA where they came from, they get one of four answers: "United States," "U.S.," "New York," or "Texas."

I'm a fifth generation Texan (maybe more, but antebellum and pre-Republic records get a little difficult to find,  sometimes). Still, caught me quite off guard the first time we sailed out of Galveston, and all the dinner waiters gathered to sing "Deep in the Heart of Texas."

Still brings a little tear to my eye. 😉

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Gotta' come to Seattle for a Alaska cruise.  Pretty nice people!

I've been to Seattle many times, and you're darn right about that. 

I've been to Alaska even more, and I love Alaskans.

• Like 2

Brooklyn born and bred here (last 25 years on Long Island-technically Brooklyn is on Long Island but that's another story) and I cruised out of Red Hook, Brooklyn once. It was spectacular going under the Verrazano Bridge, a bridge I'd driven on hundreds of times but never underneath. Gotta admit it was a little weird traipsing through Brooklyn with my luggage like a bona fide tourist but overall it was a fun experience. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kwokpot said:

And then there is Philly...

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, mfs2k said:

Very much offended by this statement!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

It doesn’t seem to matter where we embark a cruise…we always get stuck talking to somebody who wants to share his/her political views.  Please, please..stop it!  We go on vacay to get away from all that baloney.  Leave it at home.  I don’t care who you voted for!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We live on Long Island NY.. We have no issues cruising out of Red Hook, NYC or Bayonne,.  We do find it easier to fly to Fla.. no traffic to the  port..instant warm weather, no snow on the car upon return to Bayonne.

Worst  demographic for us was a holiday cruise on Royal out of Miami...very poorly behaved adults  who pushed and shoved at all the deck sales..very rude.  There were many unsupervised children.  They rode the elevators day and night,  damaged  items in the adult indoor pool area where they did not belong, spilled choc sauce onto the art auction and stole all the room service breakfast  cards.  It was a nightmare.   Ship security could not get it under control...

29 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

And then there is Philly...

I'm actually a born and bred NY'er who moved to Philly 15 years ago. Strange thing is I was a quintessential Manhattanite and that famous New Yorker magazine cover of Manhattan being the center of the USA was how I saw the country. I can honestly say 911 changed me (I was 3 blocks away from Ground Zero) and I eventually took early retirement in '06 and moved to Philly. I love living in the heart of the city and I'm a 15 minute walk from I Independence Hall & the Liberty Bell. I wouldn't move back to Manhattan if you gave me an apartment. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

I'm actually a born and bred NY'er who moved to Philly 15 years ago. Strange thing is I was a quintessential Manhattanite and that famous New Yorker magazine cover of Manhattan being the center of the USA was how I saw the country. I can honestly say 911 changed me (I was 3 blocks away from Ground Zero) and I eventually took early retirement in '06 and moved to Philly. I love living in the heart of the city and I'm a 15 minute walk from I Independence Hall & the Liberty Bell. I wouldn't move back to Manhattan if you gave me an apartment. 

agree, but your blanket comments re NY and Texans, quite harsh.  Much can be said of Philly, or any other big US city.  Enjoy your brownie.

12 hours ago, kwokpot said:

We actually now avoid Manhattan..due to congestion and safety issues. Sad because it was a great place to visit and enjoy. Has gone downhill recently.

Many from NYC  re-located  themselves on LI during the most intense Covid period and decided to stay,. And now many New Yorkers are fleeing the state,,obvious reasons!

Love the Philadelphia..beautiful gardens and buildings , museums,  history,  great restaurants & shopping! 

48 minutes ago, hcat said:

We actually now avoid Manhattan..due to congestion and safety issues. Sad because it was a great place to visit and enjoy. Has gone downhill recently.

Many from NYC  re-located  themselves on LI during the most intense Covid period and decided to stay,. And now many New Yorkers are fleeing the state,,obvious reasons!

Love the Philadelphia..beautiful gardens and buildings , museums,  history,  great restaurants & shopping! 

My parents and sister and her family are on LI so we visit each month. The traffic getting to and from LI is evidence of the popularity of Nassau and Suffolk counties despite the high taxes. 

To the topic of this thread yes it's full of generalizations and stereotypes and the truth as always is somewhere in the middle. 

As someone already mentioned you'll find good and not so good people everywhere you go. So try to seek out and interact with the good people and learn to minimize friction with those who are problematic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find most americans very friendly. It was apparent on the Silhouette Staycation cruise when it was only us Brits onboard that there was less interaction with other cruisers (were some nice folk though).

The English are a pretty reserved bunch. Don't get my Irish mother talking about them.... of which I am one.

Fortunately we rarely talk politics and rarely religion. We have little interest in politics and no interest in religion.

Incidentally we are joining some NY friends on our next cruise.

Imagine cruising on a ship full of people from Yorkshire! I go skiing with people from there and it is hilarious until time to tip.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Prost Seattle said:

We’re nice, but we’re not the friendliest. 

Seattleites are civil, we wait our turn, we treat others respectfully, we are not loud or obnoxious, we follow rules and are generally good travelers.  But @Prost Seattleyou are correct that if a Seattleite says to new acquaintances (or even neighbors), 'oh, you will have to come by for dinner', we are being friendly, but we don't really mean it (but in the nicest way!).

For folks who don't live in and around Puget Sound/Seattle, what @Prost Seattleis referring to a local  social phenomena called 'the Seattle Freeze'.  It's basically sincerely enjoying someone's company (a co-worker, neighbor, a fellow cruise passenger), and at the conclusion of the interaction, the Seattleite will make a social offer like, 'come visit us when you are in Seattle', or 'you will have to come by dinner', or 'let's get together for drinks'.  But the Seattleite, who truly means it in the moment, will not follow through.  It's a local social nicety that leaves newcomers baffled, and left out in the social cold - hence the term Seattle Freeze.   Newcomers and transplants have complained for years about the Seattle Freeze.  I have to admit that I can be guilty  of it too.   :  (

• Like 1
  • Haha 1