IF..The bill in Congress passes which forbids unvaccinated people from flying in the U.S. will this hurt the cruise industry

SmoothFlying

37 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

It was introduced in August and hasn't moved an inch. Not looking good.

Thanks for the update, I didn't hear anything more about it and was wondering if others in Congress had jumped on the bandwagon.

Mac

Canada's vaccine policy for airlines, cruise, and rail traffic came into effect a few days ago.  Proof of double vaccination, more the 14 days prior to travel date, is required.  The same applies to employees of those firms.

The travel industry in Canada is apparently thrilled. Why?

Only a few days into it they claim that they are seeing a significant uptick in leisure travel  bookings. 

Some  claim that they expect leisure travel to get back to pre covid  volumes.    Not so for business travel though.  No doubt there is some PR, self serving predictions aimed at easing some peoples fear of travel at this time.

Another report claims that the demographics of those who are vaccinated match closely to those who spend money on leisure travel. No idea if this is so. 

One thing for sure...the policy has been a huge winner for the politicians who supported it.  That could be because our deaths attributable to covid   have steadily  climbed up to the current  765 or so per million population.   Plus, the policy came into effect at almost the height of the most recent covid spike.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting.  With the current number of cancellations and flight changes near holidays in the US, I’m guessing there is not much “fear of travel” here😊.  My family has been planning a trip at Christmas since last Feb. and the flights have been changed 5 times in the last 6 weeks.  When we called to correct the latest absurd changes made, the rep advised that we check every Monday morning because they were now doing flight modifications on Sunday nights.🤣  (This was after she corrected a change that sent us from CHS to JFK to BVT.)

18 hours ago, iancal said:

Canada's vaccine policy for airlines, cruise, and rail traffic came into effect a few days ago.  Proof of double vaccination, more the 14 days prior to travel date, is required.  The same applies to employees of those firms.

The travel industry in Canada is apparently thrilled. Why?

Only a few days into it they claim that they are seeing a significant uptick in leisure travel  bookings. 

I just booked my first flight since this entire thing start.  Air Canada from Vancouver to Las Vegas in January.   If it were not for this change I would not have booked.   

I am willing to consider a US airlines for a segment between the US and Canada given the Canadian regulations apply.  Not willing to consider a domestic US segment.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/6/2021 at 11:22 AM, em-sk said:

I just booked my first flight since this entire thing start.  Air Canada from Vancouver to Las Vegas in January.   If it were not for this change I would not have booked.   

I am willing to consider a US airlines for a segment between the US and Canada given the Canadian regulations apply.  Not willing to consider a domestic US segment.  

Currently we plan be paying approx.  $200-$300 each more in fare to Greece in the spring in order to take flights that change in Toronto or Montreal  vs less expensive flights that change in London or the  US.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

On 11/6/2021 at 10:22 AM, em-sk said:

I agree. Just booked my flight to Tampa in April with AC via Toronto.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Will it hurt the cruise industry?

That's a little ambiguous. More than post 9/11? More than post Eyjafjallajokull volcano eruption? The shut down during the Covid pandemic?

If the cruiselines can survive with no revenue for almost an entire year, I would think they can survive missing a few passengers who choose not to get vaccinated who needed to fly to embarkation port.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have been repeatedly told that with the air circulation on an aircraft, there is very little chance of catching Covid especially when wearing masks.  But this week there was an indoor concert in my town that lasted over 3 hours.   30,000 people dancing, singing, drinking, talking, etc.  No masks or vax required.  Some of this makes very little sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teacherman said:

Some of this makes very little sense.

If only the beginning of this pandemic had been handled differently......

For the scholars of the near future in a variety of academic disciplines, the material that this pandemic has and, I believe, will continue to be produced will provide the basis for many Master's degrees and Doctoral degrees.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...