Port fees OBC when port changes

tbmrt

3 hours ago, tbmrt said:

When do you see if any OBC was issued due to changes in ports?  

Depends on the cruise line. Some lines do not disaggregate their fares. And, in changing from “Port A” to “Port B” the difference is usually going to be “chump change.”

If (for whatever reason) a port is replaced by a “sea day,” you could request a refund of specific port fees/taxes (which could be a credit to your onboard account or a post-cruise  refund. OR, if you have the right travel insurance for a cruise (yes, you should make sure any policy you purchase covers a cruise!), it MAY allow a claim for a missed port (up to a $ limit for the entire itinerary [e.g., $250]) which requires that you secure a letter from “guest services” stating the reason for the missed port. 

On a rare occasion we have missed a port due to weather. RCI does no refund and we've found that usually travel ins didn't offer anything as well. Only time the ship offers anything is if you have a ship excursion booked...Private excursions booked their policy will vary.

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

On a rare occasion we have missed a port due to weather. RCI does no refund and we've found that usually travel ins didn't offer anything as well. Only time the ship offers anything is if you have a ship excursion booked...Private excursions booked their policy will vary.

So RCL gets to keep the port chargers for the ports that you don't actually visit.  While your individual port charge may not be a really large amount of money, multiply that by the number of passengers on the cruise and it is significantly more that chump change.  Sounds like this is thievery to me.

DON

3 hours ago, donaldsc said:

So RCL gets to keep the port chargers for the ports that you don't actually visit.  While your individual port charge may not be a really large amount of money, multiply that by the number of passengers on the cruise and it is significantly more that chump change.  Sounds like this is thievery to me.

DON

Perhaps it was because it was weather related...Isn't that noted on the cruise contract.

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

....which is why I suggested carefully looking at “Cruise specific” policies like Natiowide.

My personal experience (noted) with the company that we used for that specific trip. I have no knowledge about Nationwide. But as always thanks for your info.

3 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Perhaps it was because it was weather related...Isn't that noted on the cruise contract.

I haven't read the contract.  However, seems to me that if the ship does not make it into port for whatever reason, they should not have to pay port charges.  If they do not have to pay the port charges, shouldn't they then have to refund them to you?  Do I have it wrong.

DON

• Like 1

5 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

Perhaps this is just one more way that RCL nickels and dimes.

9 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Perhaps this is just one more way that RCL nickels and dimes.

Just been on jewel ots and we got a substantial obc. This was due to Greece reducing port fees. We wouldn’t have known any difference, so was good of them to give us a refund I think. 

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Were there several ports involved - or a very special one?   I recall such credits as being around $5.

I also only remember small numbers, under $10, the few times we got that type of OBC.

13 hours ago, Ashland said:

If I missed a port on carnival the port fees were always refunded as obc during the cruise. I'm a bit surprised to read you said rcl keeps it.

I have several cruises were higher fees and taxes, grand cayman and jamaica changed ro cheaper costa maya and roatan. I asked my ta and he said maybe as obc during the cruise, even he didnt know if rcl would refund overcharged fees and taxes they are rerouting. 

Surprised rcl just keeps it. I was expecting a few small obc during my future cruises if port fees are less than charged. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

If I missed a port on carnival the port fees were always refunded as obc during the cruise. I'm a bit surprised to read you said rcl keeps it.

I have several cruises were higher fees and taxes, grand cayman and jamaica changed ro cheaper costa maya and roatan. I asked my ta and he said maybe as obc during the cruise, even he didnt know if rcl would refund overcharged fees and taxes they are rerouting. 

Surprised rcl just keeps it. I was expecting a few small obc during my future cruises if port fees are less than charged. 

Ya know it's been such a long time ago that that happened. Perhaps it was a small amount I overlooked it...so my Bad :classic_blush:

23 hours ago, Ashland said:

So sorry everyone...DH and I did some thinking and more than likely we did get such a small refund for the port we missed and it was so long ago I had a senior moment in my recollections.

My BAD...please for give :classic_blush:

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

So sorry everyone...DH and I did some thinking and more than likely we did get such a small refund for the port we missed and it was so long ago I had a senior moment in my recollections.

My BAD...please for give :classic_blush:

In my experience the refund for a missed port was so small - probably not enough to offset the charge for a glass of wine on your statement at cruise’s end.

• Thanks 1

This is not a new issue (been around for decades) but it may have come to a head a few years ago when there was a class action lawsuit in Florida over the issue of taxes/fees not being refunded.  As I recall (and this is coming from a very senior memory) that suit was settled by one of the major cruise corporations (might have been CCL) agreeing that they would adjust and refund taxes/fees as necessary.   

On many of our cruises we have had adjustments made, through our onboard accounts, to the port fees.  At times it is almost impossible for any cruise line to know, far in advance, the exact amount of port fees.  Sometimes the fees will change between the time the cruise is booked and the actual cruise.  And if a port is missed (or even changed) there is likely to be an adjustment that will show on your onboard statement during the cruise.  Most of the time these adjustments are relatively minor and will be less than $50.

Hank

On 11/9/2021 at 5:32 AM, Hlitner said:

This is not a new issue (been around for decades) but it may have come to a head a few years ago when there was a class action lawsuit in Florida over the issue of taxes/fees not being refunded.  As I recall (and this is coming from a very senior memory) that suit was settled by one of the major cruise corporations (might have been CCL) agreeing that they would adjust and refund taxes/fees as necessary.   

On many of our cruises we have had adjustments made, through our onboard accounts, to the port fees.  At times it is almost impossible for any cruise line to know, far in advance, the exact amount of port fees.  Sometimes the fees will change between the time the cruise is booked and the actual cruise.  And if a port is missed (or even changed) there is likely to be an adjustment that will show on your onboard statement during the cruise.  Most of the time these adjustments are relatively minor and will be less than $50.

Hank

I realize that I am making an overly big fuss over a very small item.  I also realize that cruise lines have to make a guess about fees and other things and sometimes they go up and sometimes they go down.  However, the port fees are a specific identified line item in your cruise bill and if the cruise line does not have to pay it, you should get it back.

DON

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

I realize that I am making an overly big fuss over a very small item.  I also realize that cruise lines have to make a guess about fees and other things and sometimes they go up and sometimes they go down.  However, the port fees are a specific identified line item in your cruise bill and if the cruise line does not have to pay it, you should get it back.

DON

I completely agree and they do give it back although it will often not come back to you until near the end of the cruise when it will be an adjustment to your onboard account.  I do not ever recall having any of those port charges/fees refunded prior to a cruise.  Some of those port charges may actually change at the last minute and it is up to the cruise line whether they simply eat any small increase.  But when the fees do drop you should get it back.   And it is not always such a tiny amount if you are on a longer cruise.  We have had refunds that would sometimes be in the $100 range but this has only happened on longer cruises (i.e. measured in week/months).

Hank