RCI Mobile Application Required for Each Person in the Party?

LEMJMcC

RCI's checkin website has the statement, "You are required to download the mobile app[lication] prior to sailing".  Do both the wife and I have to have the mobile application on our respective devices to board?  I have it on mine, will that suffice?

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, LEMJMcC said:

Do both the wife and I have to have the mobile application on our respective devices to board? 

That notice is a scare tactic - you are NOT required to have the app, nor a smartphone. You can have both SetSail passes on one device.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LEMJMcC said:

RCI's checkin website has the statement, "You are required to download the mobile app[lication] prior to sailing".  Do both the wife and I have to have the mobile application on our respective devices to board?  I have it on mine, will that suffice?

Thanks.

Just one person needs the app if you are going the app route, at least if boarding together. Easy enough to swipe between passengers booked in the same cabin. I assume this is the case for families in multiple cabins also, but that is just an assumption. I'll let someone else fill in whether only one app is needed for linked reservations. 

You can go old school but certain things are easier in the app. 

If I'm sitting the pub I can make a show reservation in the app.  Without the app you can go stand at guest services and make a show reservation.  The app will take me about 45 seconds from the pub.  Without the app it will take as long as it takes to walk to guest services and stand in line.  

1706482679_ScreenShot2021-11-08at10_40_50PM.jpg.01c2d1a497bbfadd37104ebfff849c5e.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RedIguana said:

Just one person needs the app if you are going the app route, at least if boarding together. Easy enough to swipe between passengers booked in the same cabin. I assume this is the case for families in multiple cabins also, but that is just an assumption. I'll let someone else fill in whether only one app is needed for linked reservations. 

Your assumption is correct. I had my and DH's booking linked to SIL and BIL's. We had separate cabins but I did all the app stuff for all 4 of us on just my device. None of the other 3 needed the app (in fact 2 of them didn't even have it).

• 2 months later...

A followup question.  I hate smart phones and do not get along with them.  I do have an IPAD but it does not have phone capabilities.  Is there any advantage in having the app on the IPAD and connecting through wifi?

Roy

5 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

A followup question.  I hate smart phones and do not get along with them.  I do have an IPAD but it does not have phone capabilities.  Is there any advantage in having the app on the IPAD and connecting through wifi?

Roy

That will work fine on the ship.  Both phones and ipads will connect to the app on board the same way

• Thanks 1

App onboard works without paying for messaging or internet.

Keep your phone on airplane mode aboard ship so you don't inadvertently connect to the ship's cell tower. 

Edited by Sobro

1 hour ago, PugM0m said:

Do you have to pay for WiFi or the $1.99 call/messaging thing in order to use the app to book shows and such while on the ship?

Does your phone need to be off Airplane mode?

No. 

No, just turn on Wi-Fi while in plane mode. 

I like and use the app for all sorts of things while on board, but I don't use it for checking in at the pier.  A printout of your SetSail Pass tends to make things move much more quickly and smoothly (as do printouts of your covid vaccination proof and test results).