Alcohol from Fun Shops vs Cheers Package

rcandv

We just booked a cruise for 5 days and have started a debate about whether or not to buy the cheers package or to just pay the costs for bottles of alcohol through Fun Shops to be in our room.  Calculating the cheers package for 3 people for the 5 days would be approximately $900.00 after all is said and done.  The price for each bottle of alcohol that we drink is $75.00 so that would be $150.00 for one room and $150.00 for the second room.  We were thinking of doing that and then buying the bubbles package to use for mixers.  We can then bring the clear plastic rum runners to use around the ship with the liquor from the bottles in our room.  This would save us money, but I am curious if anyone else has done this too.

What say you?

Edited by rcandv
  • Like 2

It depends on how much you drink, really.  How much is the bubbles package?  Remember that cheers also includes water, specialty coffees, milkshakes,  whatever.  For us, it's worth it. 

Technically, I think the alcohol in your room is supposed to be just that, in your room.  No judgement from me though. 

• Like 1

Just now, HollyHobbie22 said:

Interesting....I didn't know if you purchased alcohol from the Fun Shop you got to take it right then. I thought it was held until the last night. This may be a nice option for some. 

You can buy bottles online, before you board the ship, to have delivered to your room. 

I think I read online that as long as they are not the duty-free bottles, you can have them in your room. I think....

10 minutes ago, HollyHobbie22 said:

Interesting....I didn't know if you purchased alcohol from the Fun Shop you got to take it right then. I thought it was held until the last night. This may be a nice option for some. 

Pre-ordered online as mentioned above and room service orders (at least in the past this was an option).

11 minutes ago, HollyHobbie22 said:

You can't take the duty free purchases back to your cabin. You can pre-order online from the Funshops or order through room service once on the ship, but the prices are steep.

https://www.carnival.com/in-room-food-beverages?q=:price-asc:category:liquor&sort=price-asc&page=0

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, HollyHobbie22 said:

I know that it is confusing because they are both called "Fun Shop."  The pre-cruise Fun Shop purchases (and those made through room service while on board) are sold at a premium price and can be consumed on board.  Those purchased in the physical Fun Shops on board are sold duty free and cannot be consumed on board.

1 hour ago, HollyHobbie22 said:

I believe you have to buy it before you get onboard.  If you buy it once on board, you have to wait to the last night.

• Like 1

In the past we have ordered (2) bottles for the cabin along with our (2) bottles of wine carried onto the ship.  Enjoyed the drinks but, after experiencing the convenience & beverage variety of Cheers, have never sailed without.  Consider the cost part of our cruise fare.  Either way enjoy!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, my kids mama said:

It depends on how much you drink, really.  How much is the bubbles package?  Remember that cheers also includes water, specialty coffees, milkshakes,  whatever.  For us, it's worth it. 

Technically, I think the alcohol in your room is supposed to be just that, in your room.  No judgement from me though. 

On our last cruise, we had bottles delivered to our room and had no issues going back and forth, but it was also during a time when you were able to bring soda and water on board.  I guess I am trying to gauge what everyone else now prefers to do.

9 minutes ago, rcandv said:

On our last cruise, we had bottles delivered to our room and had no issues going back and forth, but it was also during a time when you were able to bring soda and water on board.  I guess I am trying to gauge what everyone else now prefers to do.

you can still bring soda

23 minutes ago, rcandv said:

You can still bring non-alcoholic drinks on board.  They must be carried on and you are allowed 12 cans/cartons/pouches per person of 12oz or less each.

Edited by Schoifmom

I've pre-ordered a bottle for our stateroom in the past and it really was no hassle at all.  We'd mix a drink to take with us to the theatre, comedy club, or whatever and nobody said a word.  We brought our allotted 12 cans each of soda on board for mixers.  We also found that the juice served at breakfast in the buffet goes very well with rum, so brought some of that back to the room and then poured it into empty water bottles to keep cool in the fridge.

• Like 2

Did this a few times as one of us doesn’t drink much so much more cost effective.  If you like to have a drink in your hand at all times not super convenient to carry enough around with you.  I found making a drink and taking it with me and then buying a drinks throughout the ship worked great and was much cheaper than two cheers packages. 

• Like 3

My thought:  For a 5 day cruise, I'd do the Cheers package since non alcoholic drinks are included as well and for a cruise that short, it would be worth the convenience.  If the cruise was longer, like a 2 week Journey's, I could do the bottles in the room and bring on my own allowed amount of soda, juices and wine. 

What I've done:  The convenience of Cheers outweighs hauling anything on the ship and I'm not limited to the liquor choices I purchased for the room.

Decisions . .Decisions. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, sgttami said:

My thought:  For a 5 day cruise, I'd do the Cheers package since non alcoholic drinks are included as well and for a cruise that short, it would be worth the convenience.  If the cruise was longer, like a 2 week Journey's, I could do the bottles in the room and bring on my own allowed amount of soda, juices and wine. 

What I've done:  The convenience of Cheers outweighs hauling anything on the ship and I'm not limited to the liquor choices I purchased for the room.

Decisions . .Decisions. 

I wouldn’t haul on the mixers.  If you’re going to spend the money on the liquor you might as well pay for the mixers (unless of course they don’t have your preferred mixer) as those prices aren’t as horrible as the liquor. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sgttami said:

Decisions . .Decisions. 

I totally agree.  We always buy cheers.  The only time I felt like it wasn't worth it was on a 10 day Med cruise.  We had 8 ports and were gone all day long.  We found ourselves ordering another drink just to get our moneys worth.  Our next cruise in December, I have free drinks anywhere on the ship.  I am glad that carnival decided to let us buy cheers just for my DH. I am sure they figured out real quick that people were sharing when only one person was awarded cheers. 

If you are good with just a few types of drinks go for it.   The draw of cheers for me is the wide variety of drinks that can be had.  It allows me to step out of my comfort zone and try things I usually wouldn't.    I mean who wants to spend $10-12 on a drink you end up hating.

I would go with Cheers.  On Journey's cruises, we'll get bottles and mixers for the room, and it works out fine.  But for the 7 days or less, the convenience, coffee, and water with Cheers, makes the vacation nicer for us.  We get a kick out of the relationships we make with the bartenders and waiters, too.

54 minutes ago, my kids mama said:

I totally agree.  We always buy cheers.  The only time I felt like it wasn't worth it was on a 10 day Med cruise.  We had 8 ports and were gone all day long.  We found ourselves ordering another drink just to get our moneys worth.  Our next cruise in December, I have free drinks anywhere on the ship.  I am glad that carnival decided to let us buy cheers just for my DH. I am sure they figured out real quick that people were sharing when only one person was awarded cheers. 

That probably was a waste. On Carnival, never had any problem bringing alcohol on the ship from the ports in Europe.