Pre-cruise tests required for U.S. sailings through Dec. 2021(at least)

Turtles06

Today I received an email from Celebrity regarding our December 3 sailing on the Silhouette that makes explicit what I think we've all been assuming re pre-cruise testing of vaccinated guests, namely, that the testing requirement has been extended to U.S. sailings departing through December 31, 2021:

"Pre-Cruise Testing
For sailings departing the U.S. through December 31, 2021, all vaccinated guests are required to present a negative COVID-19 test at the time of embarkation. This test may be taken as either as an Antigen or PCR test, conducted within two days of boarding the ship. Each guest is responsible for making their own arrangements with an accredited testing provider as well as covering all associated costs."

Celebrity sent us an email several days ago stating that we needed to be tested, but this is the first one that formally extends the testing policy through the end of this year.   Celebrity's web site (the Health and Safety FAQs), however, still says the policy applies to U.S. sailings departing through November 30, 2021.  (Typical.  🤣)  At the time Celebrity extended that policy from the end of October to the end of November, it seemed odd to me that they didn't just extend it through the end of the year.  In any event, I'm pretty sure most if not all folks sailing in December (if not January) have assumed for a long time that we'd need to be tested.  I really do wish Celebrity would partner with some company to do the testing at the pier, as NCL is doing.  It would be so much easier for folks whose travel schedule puts them in the port city in that two-day testing period.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

"  I really do wish Celebrity would partner with some company to do the testing at the pier, as NCL is doing.  It would be so much easier for folks whose travel schedule puts them in the port city in that two-day testing period.

I agree with you especially is complicated  for foreign country passengers

• Like 1

While I agree that testing at the port the day of is easiest, what happens to the folks who fly in and test positive?

Are they quarantined in Ft. Lauderdale at their own expense?

My guess is that folks who are flying in will do a home test before heading to the airport just to make sure.

3 hours ago, Ozzmund said:

While I agree that testing at the port the day of is easiest, what happens to the folks who fly in and test positive?

Are they quarantined in Ft. Lauderdale at their own expense?

My guess is that folks who are flying in will do a home test before heading to the airport just to make sure.

They can rent a car and drive home. (Not if they are from overseas, of course.)

Edited by hrhdhd

We are sailing on the Silhouette January 4th, and I was just looking around for testing sites.  We are thinking about getting tested in Daytona on the Sunday before our Tuesday departure so I went to the CVS pharmacy website and started the process for a mock testing appointment.  One of the questions asked is if you’re getting tested for travel, then in another spot it said for cruise travel the testing would be done right at the port.  Has anyone had their testing done at the port?

I expect that since Celebrity is covering the cost for medical, transportation, quarantine if you test positive on a cruise through April sailings that testing pre boarding will be required.  
We did the BinaxNow proctored test before our cruises last month,  it was easy and fast.  From start to having results in a email was just under 30 minutes; and I didn’t have to get dressed and drive somewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vicjac said:

Why would you want to do the test from home?  Who would pay for this?  If you go to CVS wouldn't that be covered by your insurance?

If you are flying at 10:00 am 2 days before the cruise, going to CVS before you fly is not an option. We did the home tests in October and it was easy.

We are leaving on a cruise Nov 27, two days after Thanksgiving.  The key is we need to have the rapid antigen test with the quickest response.  The closest drug store was in Virginia (we live in Florida).  The next fastest was 24 hours (day of driving to the port).  We finally found an urgent care covered by our insurance and made a reservation.  Now I worry about them running out (don't know if this happens).  I know I can order the at home test but I really would rather having someone else doing the test (not me).  Thinking of ordering the test as a back up just in case.

6 minutes ago, tampadee said:

We are leaving on a cruise Nov 27, two days after Thanksgiving.  The key is we need to have the rapid antigen test with the quickest response.  The closest drug store was in Virginia (we live in Florida).  The next fastest was 24 hours (day of driving to the port).  We finally found an urgent care covered by our insurance and made a reservation.  Now I worry about them running out (don't know if this happens).  I know I can order the at home test but I really would rather having someone else doing the test (not me).  Thinking of ordering the test as a back up just in case.

Most people in your situation who drive to the port now just order the test and do it at home within the 2 day window.  If you want to do this as a back up plan you would need to order right away.  Just in case something happens with your appointment at your Urgent Care if you are worried about it.  But most likely your appointment will be just fine IMO.

3 hours ago, tampadee said:

We will be on 11-22 and 11-27 on Summit. I have been looking for testing and Walgreens has a Rapid Antigen Test (red dot on the map) and they have them all over Florida. Wouldn't we be able to use that?? I had planned on doing that. BUT I just called Walgreens and they don't have a QR code on their tests results. Do we need to have a QR code????

3 hours ago, travelerchris said:

We will be on 11-22 and 11-27 on Summit. I have been looking for testing and Walgreens has a Rapid Antigen Test (red dot on the map) and they have them all over Florida. Wouldn't we be able to use that?? I had planned on doing that. BUT I just called Walgreens and they don't have a QR code on their tests results. Do we need to have a QR code????

Where exactly do you see this test?  I have searched quite a bit on the internet for that particular test.  As I mentioned in my post, this is my first choice with 15 minute results.  But the closest I could find was in Virginia.

11 hours ago, Vicjac said:

Why would you want to do the test from home?  Who would pay for this?  If you go to CVS wouldn't that be covered by your insurance?

Convenience.  Sometimes convenience and knowing that my appointment wouldn’t be cancelled by CVS; which happens when they run out of test kits, the person who does the test calls in sick, etc.  is worth a few $.    Our local CVS stopped doing tests about 3 months ago due to issues with getting supplies and staffing shortages.  The closest CVS that does rapid test was 52 miles away.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Celebrity is not testing vaccinated guests at the port. 

Exception is at least last month that  Children were being tested at the port.    They had a section setup with seat for them to wait until results were in.   Of course they are not vaccinated so your statement is true that vaccinated guests are not tested at port

Unvaccinated children between the ages of two and eleven years old
will be required to bring a negative Antigen or PCR test conducted within three days of boarding. These guests will have an additional PCR test at the terminal prior to embarkation and on the day before disembarkation.