ZGSCL Live from the Koningsdam: November 14th 7 day Mexican Rivera

zgscl

7 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

You can have 3 to a cabana.  I believe there is an upcharge for that 3rd person, or so I've been told. 

I did not know that, that is good info to have! When configured with 2 chairs and a lounger there is plenty of space not to mention the larger retreat area. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cruisin'mama said:

Thank you for all this info! Our third person is our son who has Down Syndrome so most likely it will always be 3 of us in the cabana.  It’s also why I’m thinking of being near the pool, he will probably want to cool off and enjoy the water a few times.

That makes sense, I think the lido cabanas are perfect for that. Reserved deck space and you can always close off the curtain if you want privacy. Here are a couple pictures I took this summer of the lido cabanas on Nieuw Amsterdam when no one was looking. 

88CDE7C7-C5E3-48C3-97C1-D924B6672B26_1_105_c.jpeg

8404A9BB-B6D1-4037-A449-4AE5FC55D894_1_105_c.jpeg

I also stuck my head in the retreat area and was able to grab a couple pictures there as well

7C762CC7-C234-4FCA-B72B-4C051A68FB15_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.25ac2fcba6a226817f05b0a09e022069.jpeg

B535AAB4-6BAD-413A-876E-F6B720A788DF_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.7a8f5b9a7763c17b5e4f6573cce1dc80.jpeg

2475A51F-6BC2-4C9B-ADA6-226154B95793_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.1f528fc0dc4ce4c5085002d18e53d0bc.jpeg

Edited by zgscl
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jer_l said:

Thanks for the info. Knowing that we will be on port time will help in planning.

As far as the boarding pass, I thought that the HAL agent was wrong so I called again and spent about 45 minutes on the hone with a different agent.  I was finally able to print the boarding passes today.  Sailing in 39 days. 🙂 

That is so odd! Did they tell you what the problem was? Glad to hear you have your boarding pass in hand, those 39 days will fly by in no time! 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2021 at 5:54 PM, RuthC said:

The very best port for both ends of the cruise was surprisingly San Francisco. I say I was surprised, as every other US port is very difficult; the ship stewards can't leave a certain area, so people have to somehow find a port person to get them from the street to the check-in area, then get out of the wheelchair and wait for a HAL steward and wheelchair to take them the rest of the way. 
In San Francisco, there were port people who met us (I was in a group of 4, 2 of us needing wheelchair assistance) almost immediately at the van, wheeled us to check-in, and then aboard and to our respective cabins. Vancouver was also pretty good, but I arrived from Seattle on a HAL bus. That helped the situation, I'm sure. 

Ports in Europe, Asia, and Australia, as well as New Zealand have all---except Venice---been great. 

That is good to know, thank you so much! I have only once sailed from San Francisco and that was about 20 years ago so my memory is pretty foggy. I do have to say the HAL pre-cruise hotel & transfer was fantastic. I think that will be on the plan going forward unless sailing from my home port of Seattle. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, luv2camp04 said:

Thank you.  That is very helpful.  I'm used to getting the Celebrity regular drink package as a perk and then we upgrade once on board to the Premium.  Although Celebrity doesn't have a daily limit.   Anyway, we may go on our first HAL cruise in March 2022!  

Happy to help! If you have the have it all package with your booking I believe the upgrade is around $10/person/day and can be done onboard only. I will look forward to hearing your thoughts on HAL vs Celebrity once you sail. Celebrity has been on my list for a long time but I have not yet found the right trip to entice me away. 

• Like 1

Just now, DaveOKC said:

ZGSCL - did you have to get a Covid test prior to disembarking and flying home?

No covid test required for disembarkation. It should only be required if the destination you are flying to requires it such as Canada. 

• Like 2

On 11/23/2021 at 2:15 PM, triiip42 said:

Did you have to be  rapid tested before the end of the first leg or on the turn-around day? Or did they test at all for the second cruise?

Thanks

They did the rapid testing the day before we got to San Diego.  It was quick and easy, and free.  We then had to wait in our cabin for 15 minutes.  If they hadn't called by then,  we were negative.  We got a written report in our cabin later that evening.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/23/2021 at 6:02 PM, RuthC said:

LOL! San Diego wasn't set up well for a disabled passenger when I was with a large group who could help me, and wasn't nearly as disabled as I am now! I would hate to have to board there now. 

Ruth, when we boarded in San Diego on 11/14, I noticed passengers who did not have their own wheelchair being taken to the ship by ground and HAL personnel.  The only long line we saw was the one for having you CDC card and Covid test results checked.  There were at least 10 checkers.

People with walkers/rollators were allowed to sit while the rest of their party waited in line until they were closer to the screeners.  I don’t know how they handled solo travelers who needed help.

When we went through check-in, a lady was directing people with walkers to a certain desk with an  easier way to take their picture.  

From the time we got in line until we were heading to the ship was 17 minutes.  Enforcing the assigned check-in times and with fewer passengers helped move things along.  As the ships get more passengers in the future, I'm sure things will be different in some ways.

I don't know how much this will help you, but it will hopefully give more information to plan your next cruise.

• Like 1

re: Lido Cabana

This is exactly what our Lido Cabana on Nieuw Amsterdam looked like.    We often had one couple visit but we all did not ask for food and drink service.    It was kinda hot (Panama Canal cruise) so maybe we were there less than 50% of the time.  Someone posted that you could ask them to swap out the big bed for two lounge chairs.

Peter

LidoCabana

Edited by SFO PETER
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I don't know how much this will help you, but it will hopefully give more information to plan your next cruise.

I thank you for all the information (which I cropped, as it was too much to quote), but I do not feel reassured that a San Diego embarkation would be any easier now than it was those years ago. That's especially true if I am alone, and need to get myself and my luggage from my transportation to someone who can help me. I can't count on being able to do that. My plan then, as it is today, is that I will never embark in San Diego ever again. 
Once burned, twice shy, and all. 

• Like 1

You just admitted that you have not sailed from San Diego for many years.

Yet you discourage anyone from traveling from here.

Those of us who work at this port (myself for 16 years) would like to know when you can admit that you just do not know how disabled guest are handled currently?

David

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

Those of us who work at this port (myself for 16 years) would like to know when you can admit that you just do not know how disabled guest are handled currently?

David

You always get so defensive whenever I post about the horrible embarkation I had in San Diego. 
Nothing there will ever be corrected if you won't stop once in a while and listen to what is wrong, and what can be done so it is made right. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

Hi, I'm listening.

Go ahead tell me what you expect.

David 

Are you someone in authority with the power to change things?

I must admit I have never embarked in San Diego except after going ashore on a port stop - and it was rather chaotic even then.  Disembarkation on that cruise was worse.  Hopefully things have changed since then as it was some years ago.

11 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

Hi, I'm listening.

You have always reacted (as opposed to 'responded') to anything negative about embarkation in San Diego as if someone has just said your baby was ugly. 
Listening now? I don't believe you. 
I've solved my embarkation in San Diego problem. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

Comments from "years ago" are what I'm trying to address.  

The port attends to ADA guests very well.

David

Well David, on this I agree with you. My husband is in a wheelchair. We have had 4 sailings out of San Diego (my sister lives there and we throw a cruise in between visits) 

Last year in March we were on 2B2B2B cruises (we lasted 1 week before getting kicked off) 

When we were checking in there were 2 or 3 people volunteering to walk us through check in. After being checked through another person helped us to the elevator and took us up to board the ship. 

On an NCL cruise a few year's ago, boarding in Quebec was a nightmare. The ramp was very steep and there were no people to help. Finally a young man left his place in line and took my husband to the top of the ramp. God bless him!

16 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

David

I think some people on here are speaking about terrible disembarks from many, many years ago.  I've had my fair share myself.  I'm not speaking of people that are disabled but able bodied cruisers.  Both my embarkation on Nov 7 and debark on Nov 21 went very well.  Does that mean it will be that way every time.  Of course not.  But hanging on to things from 10 years ago isn't really providing cruisers with up to date information.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, RuthC said:

but I do not feel reassured that a San Diego embarkation would be any easier now than it was those years ago. That's especially true if I am alone, and need to get myself and my luggage from my transportation to someone who can help me. I can't count on being able to do that.

I wish CC had a PM service.  I think I am in a situation close to yours.  Maybe I could send you an e-mail address where we could "talk"?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I wish CC had a PM service.  I think I am in a situation close to yours.  Maybe I could send you an e-mail address where we could "talk"?  

Sure. How? Do you want to post something here? 

On 11/20/2021 at 2:04 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

There was a wait again this morning in club orange.  It opened at  8:00 and I got there at 8:05.  I was at one of the last tables.

Just a note about the koningsdam if you use a lanyard make sure you have one one with a plastic pouch.  I remembered this from last time but I thought it might have been resolved.  It hasn't so I ended up buying one.

My laundry seemed to take longer than I have experienced on other cruises.  I sent some out yesterday morning and it hadn't come back by one so I asked about it so I could get some packing done.  He did find it.

Zgscl I've loved reading your live from even though I'm here.  You always have such great detail and pictures.  I was a pleasure to meet you as well.

May I ask why you need a lanyard with a plastic pouch?   Thank you

1 hour ago, bluesplayer said:

May I ask why you need a lanyard with a plastic pouch?   Thank you

Because you need to slip the card into it.  They will not punch your card like they will on other ships.  I keep my card in my purse because some of my pants don’t have pockets.  It makes it easy to find.  It doesn’t have to be plastic but it needs to be something to hold the card.

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Like 1