do they check your temperature at the port?

mcatmcat

Our hospital still does temperature checks every single day. Even if you are vaccinated, everyone now knows you can still catch COVID-19 yet be mostly or completely asymptomatic. Checking for a high temperature or fever is a simple precaution to catch one of the underlying and early effects of getting the coronavirus.

And we also know COVID-19 has a 2-14 day incubation period. So, you can pass the COVID test two days prior to embarkation and then only start showing symptoms after the cruise is well underway. 

11 hours ago, mcatmcat said:

I was wondering if they check your temperature at the port and or  daily in the ship.

Thank you 

It doesn’t appear that RCI is doing this, but I do recall reading on this forum where NCL are checking temps at ports of call when disembarking…

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2813176-facial-recognition-door-opening/#comment-62138914

😎

46 minutes ago, matt1 said:

Our hospital still does temperature checks every single day. Even if you are vaccinated, everyone now knows you can still catch COVID-19 yet be mostly or completely asymptomatic. Checking for a high temperature or fever is a simple precaution to catch one of the underlying and early effects of getting the coronavirus.

And we also know COVID-19 has a 2-14 day incubation period. So, you can pass the COVID test two days prior to embarkation and then only start showing symptoms after the cruise is well underway. 

If you are mostly or completely asymptomatic, you probably wont' have a temperature.  So, that doesn't make much sense.  

• Like 1

Just now, BND said:

If you are mostly or completely asymptomatic, you probably wont' have a temperature.  So, that doesn't make much sense.  

I understand the definition of  asymptomatic. It’s why I also used the word “mostly”, whereas people have reported just having a slight fever and then found out they had contracted COVID-19.

On our Harmony cruise in September we had our temperature checked daily with a hand held device. Mine consistently showed at around 34 degrees. Each time our cabin attendant asked me if I felt unwell and I kept repeating that if my temperature was really that low then there would be no way I’d be up and about enjoying myself. I would be huddled under a pile of blankets feeling extremely ill. Those hand held devices are notoriously unreliable.

30 minutes ago, CaroleC said:

On our Harmony cruise in September we had our temperature checked daily with a hand held device. Mine consistently showed at around 34 degrees. Each time our cabin attendant asked me if I felt unwell and I kept repeating that if my temperature was really that low then there would be no way I’d be up and about enjoying myself. I would be huddled under a pile of blankets feeling extremely ill. Those hand held devices are notoriously unreliable.

Yes they are.  I went in for an Orthopedic appt a couple of months ago.  My temp read 96f. I mean I run lower than 98.6 all the time, but closer to 97.8-98f.  They retook it immediately and it read 97.3.  The building my DH works in had the machines that automatically read your temp  as you came in the building.  Several people had to sit and cool off for a few minutes during the summer as it read high because they had just walked in from the far end of the parking lot.  But, they quit using them, because they never caught a single person with a real elevated temperature even though they had a few cases over the last 18 months so they got rid of them.    When I have a 99 deg temp I have chills and ache so I can't imagine walking around not knowing I have a fever.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Since you already passed the covid test why worry about the temperature check?

Because fully vaccinated people with negative tests can become symptomatic at any point. One of the national news papers ran an article that over 450 passengers have tested positive for COVID on cruise ships. In our town, on the average, 10% of the people hospitalized for COVID are fully vaccinated. 

As mentioned, NCL is running 100% vaccinated cruises. 100% of the passengers are tested at the terminal at check in. 100% are also temperature checked at checkin. And 100% of the passengers are temperature screened every time you disembark and embark the ship. In return, on US cruises, there are no masks and no social distancing onboard along with self serve buffets breakfast, lunch, and dinner. 

Edited by BirdTravels

19 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Because fully vaccinated people with negative tests can become symptomatic at any point. One of the national news papers ran an article that over 450 passengers have tested positive for COVID on cruise ships. In our town, on the average, 10% of the people hospitalized for COVID are fully vaccinated. 

As mentioned, NCL is running 100% vaccinated cruises. 100% of the passengers are tested at the terminal at check in. 100% are also temperature checked at checkin. And 100% of the passengers are temperature screened every time you disembark and embark the ship. In return, on US cruises, there are no masks and no social distancing onboard along with self serve buffets breakfast, lunch, and dinner. 

450 out of how many that have actually sailed?  And, how many of them had a temp or ever developed one?  Those are important stats in defending taking temperatures.  Also, stating 10% of hospitalized people were vaccinated is an incomplete stat.  How many have underlying conditions?  From everything I've read almost all of the vaccinated and hospitalized had other major health problems.  450 people testing positive only means they tested that way, it doesn't mean they were sick enough to even have symptoms.  Statistics can be used to show anything you want them to.  Does NCL have any data to show that doing the temp checks makes any difference?  Are they finding more people who are positive?

Edited by BND

4 hours ago, matt1 said:

@matt1

You changed your avatar!  (and people say that no  one pays attention! 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BND said:

450 out of how many that have actually sailed?  And, how many of them had a temp or ever developed one?  Those are important stats in defending taking temperatures.  Also, stating 10% of hospitalized people were vaccinated is an incomplete stat.  How many have underlying conditions?  From everything I've read almost all of the vaccinated and hospitalized had other major health problems.  450 people testing positive only means they tested that way, it doesn't mean they were sick enough to even have symptoms.  Statistics can be used to show anything you want them to.  Does NCL have any data to show that doing the temp checks makes any difference?  Are they finding more people who are positive?

Totally agree the same stat can be twisted to support a myriad of opinions. As Ron Burgundy says, 60% of the time, it works every time

Edited by cindivan