Welcome party and veterans tributes

I’m new to Royal and have seen some Videos of welcome parties online on the promenade where they party and drop balloons. But they’re not on any schedules I’ve seen (Symphony) right now. I assume that’s because of COVID. Does anyone have any idea when these are returning or has anyone already been on a sailing recently where they’ve been back on the schedule? Does Royal do all those events that I’ve seen on NCL where they have group dancing like to the Wobble and stuff?

also, what is the veterans tribute. At first it seems like something I thought was just on Remembrance Day and Veterans Day but it looks like they are every sailing. Is this just basically an event where they make speeches and sing the national anthem? Coming from a non-US country, this seems like a very unusual tradition for me— to actually have a formal ceremony every cruise with the national anthem, and not something I would expect on a cruise vacation, but it sounds like an interesting thing to check out to experience some Americana! I would expect this on special days but not every week. Has anyone been?

thanks

36 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

It's only for Veteran's Day, if you are talking about November.  There are other holidays, but they are only celebrated when they occur.

Must be a symphony OTS thing then, because it was on the cruise compass for October 7 and then November 4 - always day 6 @ 11 AM

guess this isn’t a fleetwide thing. 

28 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

Must be a symphony OTS thing then, because it was on the cruise compass for October 7 and then November 4 - always day 6 @ 11 AM

guess this isn’t a fleetwide thing. 

Perhaps this  happened on Symphony, and perhaps the app isn't correct.  Wouldn't be the first time.  😉 

3 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Perhaps this  happened on Symphony, and perhaps the app isn't correct.  Wouldn't be the first time.  😉 

Just seems so weird to have it every cruise. Who goes on vacation for veterans’ ceremonies and singing the national anthem? Only Americans I guess. Is RCCI run by A conservative leadership?

Edited by marktwothousand
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

Just seems so weird to have it every cruise. Who goes on vacation for veterans’ ceremonies and singing the national anthem? Only Americans I guess. Is RCCI run by A conservative leadership?

But it's NOT on "every" cruise.

And by the way, patriotism is not reserved for the conservative.

• Like 4

Hi Mark, The type of thing I have attended, that has been promoted, is more in line with a social gathering for Vets, to meet like minded individuals, and have a chin wag and a drink or two. At those gatherings I have had the opportunity to meet people from many walks of life, from different services, different countries, and generally had a good time. It has not been over the top, very casual, and you can take it or leave it. You never know who you may find!

• Like 5

Just getting off a B2B on Liberty

There are two types of events. 

For Remembrance Day aka Veterans Day - November 11th .. which coincides with 11:11 on November 11, 1918 which was the end of World War I, the War to end all Wars.  There were some special services on board to commemorate the day and show appreciation to all Veterans from any country. 

On Liberty at roughly 11:11 they did an announcement and requested a moment of silence for all those who sacrificed themselves for their country .. this was followed by Taps being played on the pool deck.  Very nicely done.

In the late afternoon they held a reception in the Starlight Lounge.  As you entered the entryway was lined with Officers and upper management.  They offered a glass of champagne.  The reception had a few short speeches, thanking and honoring all those who served for their country and recognizing some of their own staff who served.  One of the crew members was former Israeli Special Ops and he said a few words.  They then held a moment of silence followed by Taps and the US National Anthem.  Guests were then left to mingle and chat amongst themselves and the band played in the background. 

On most cruises there are Veteran Meet and Mingles which are self led get togethers.  Very informal and low key.  On some ships they just have a room to meet in and in other cases the ship also provides some beverages and cookies. 

None of these events are "over the top" and I think a veteran from any country would feel comfortable and appreciate attending.  Regardless of where you served, you are a veteran and shared many common experiences with veterans of other countries.

• Like 3

We regularly sail from Baltimore.  Most of our cruises have included a veterans' get-together (informal, as noted above) and an evening tribute to veterans, at which all veterans, of all nationalities, are invited up front, as well as Gold Star families.  There have been dozens, or perhaps several hundred, who do so.  There has been a WW2 vet several times, and he has had the honor of cutting the cake at the end of the event.  Very moving, and very nicely done all around.

There are certainly other things going on around the ship, so anyone who is not inclined to attend will have plenty to do.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, carlandlyn said:

Hi Mark, The type of thing I have attended, that has been promoted, is more in line with a social gathering for Vets, to meet like minded individuals, and have a chin wag and a drink or two. At those gatherings I have had the opportunity to meet people from many walks of life, from different services, different countries, and generally had a good time. It has not been over the top, very casual, and you can take it or leave it. You never know who you may find!

2 hours ago, mojomanny said:

On most cruises there are Veteran Meet and Mingles which are self led get togethers.  Very informal and low key.  On some ships they just have a room to meet in and in other cases the ship also provides some beverages and cookies. 

None of these events are "over the top" and I think a veteran from any country would feel comfortable and appreciate attending.  Regardless of where you served, you are a veteran and shared many common experiences with veterans of other countries.

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

We regularly sail from Baltimore.  Most of our cruises have included a veterans' get-together (informal, as noted above) and an evening tribute to veterans, at which all veterans, of all nationalities, are invited up front, as well as Gold Star families.  There have been dozens, or perhaps several hundred, who do so.  There has been a WW2 vet several times, and he has had the honor of cutting the cake at the end of the event.  Very moving, and very nicely done all around.

There are certainly other things going on around the ship, so anyone who is not inclined to attend will have plenty to do.

And of course, I had forgotten about these, which must be what @marktwothousandwas seeing.  Several groups have casual gatherings on the ship; veterans are just one of them.  Friends of Bill and Friends of Dorothy come to mind.

• Like 1

Re Welcome Aboard parties, I think it was probably more of an event when the first formal night of a cruise was universally observed.  Meet the Captain in a receiving line, champagne for all, dancing, perhaps something like a balloon drop.  Now that many consider it just another night, much of that has gone by the wayside.

There is usually a Sailaway party during departure, but we've never gone to one.  I think there is music, maybe line dancing?

I believe that what marktwothousand is describing is something that we have experienced on the two Harmony cruises that we have taken.  There is a dedicated tribute to active/retired/veteran military with the captain and staff, music, a large cake, etc. on the Royal Promenade.  It appeared to be something that was done each cruise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, splashsmom said:

I believe that what marktwothousand is describing is something that we have experienced on the two Harmony cruises that we have taken.  There is a dedicated tribute to active/retired/veteran military with the captain and staff, music, a large cake, etc. on the Royal Promenade.  It appeared to be something that was done each cruise.

I have seen this on several cruises as well.  Just as splashsmom notes.  Different ships (Majesty, Harmony, Oasis, Enchantment).    At the veterans gathering on the Majesty, the cruise director (Tornado Tanya) sang a very moving rendition of Hallelujah.  Not a lot of dry eyes in the attendees after that.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Right now my cruise compass for my Dec cruise on Symphony keeps telling us about the Halloween Door Decorating contest!! I definitely wouldn’t trust the app, haha 

12 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

PreCovid, 50+ Cruises in 9yrs on Royal and all had a Veteran Gathering. Ones I attended had good turnout. Also have seen Veterans from other Countries there

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mojomanny said:

Just getting off a B2B on Liberty

There are two types of events. 

For Remembrance Day aka Veterans Day - November 11th .. which coincides with 11:11 on November 11, 1918 which was the end of World War I, the War to end all Wars.  There were some special services on board to commemorate the day and show appreciation to all Veterans from any country. 

On Liberty at roughly 11:11 they did an announcement and requested a moment of silence for all those who sacrificed themselves for their country .. this was followed by Taps being played on the pool deck.  Very nicely done.

In the late afternoon they held a reception in the Starlight Lounge.  As you entered the entryway was lined with Officers and upper management.  They offered a glass of champagne.  The reception had a few short speeches, thanking and honoring all those who served for their country and recognizing some of their own staff who served.  One of the crew members was former Israeli Special Ops and he said a few words.  They then held a moment of silence followed by Taps and the US National Anthem.  Guests were then left to mingle and chat amongst themselves and the band played in the background. 

We just disembarked the Liberty this morning. We attended that Veteran's Day event...it was very nice...no one can see me in the back of the lounge, but I had tears coming down...USAF.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

We just disembarked the Liberty this morning. We attended that Veteran's Day event...it was very nice...no one can see me in the back of the lounge, but I had tears coming down...USAF.

You were not the only one.  I wish I had worn my sunglasses.

I was on a RC cruise in June of this year and they had a veterans event.  I am a veteran, my husband is and the husband of the couple we went with was also a veteran.  I thought it was extremely nice that RC acknowledged veterans.  I have been on several cruises with RC in which this is done.  Those who don't care about the event just keep moving along around the ship and ignore the whole thing. I was on RC one year on Veterans Day and they never did a thing.  So I guess it depends on who runs the events.  I am proud to be a Navy veteran

• Like 3

Well, I hope you don’t mind me attending out of curiousity, veterans. I hope this isn’t considered disrespectful, please let me know if it is. I am really not sure what the protocols are for this. I feel it is a part of American history and culture that I want to learn, witness and be a part of. I hope that’s OK?

we have veterans here too, but they don’t have that big of a role in our society. I rarely hear of “veterans discounts” for example. We have a big ceremony for them here on November 11. 

Edited by marktwothousand

14 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

Dennis Charles does a Veterans gathering on his sailings.

I was sitting reading in one of the lounges when the Veterans gathering started with cruise director Dennis. As a forces family member I found it interesting listening to people who had been in different military forces talking about their deployments and experiences. Quite moving 

11 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

Well, I hope you don’t mind me attending out of curiousity, veterans. I hope this isn’t considered disrespectful, please let me know if it is. I am really not sure what the protocols are for this. I feel it is a part of American history and culture that I want to learn, witness and be a part of. I hope that’s OK?

we have veterans here too, but they don’t have that big of a role in our society. I rarely hear of “veterans discounts” for example. We have a big ceremony for them here on November 11. 

Obsoletely. 

• Like 1