Just off first US sailing of Anthem - any questions, fire away! :)

Rysyonok

Just off Anthem, off of a definitely unique cruise - a lost day, a delayed arrival, a rocket launch off of Cape Canaveral, two shows that got mysteriously cancelled, but hey, it was an amazing trip! A better review shortly - still unpacking and trying to lose sea legs - but do fire off with questions, and I will answer to the best of my ability.

What's more, I'm recently off of Oasis as well (October 3rd), so it's going to be quite interesting to compare the two ships (and oh boy, were they uniquely distinct).

Off we go 🙂

• Like 1

Following...  Booked on Anthem in March.  I'd imagine things may be a bit less eventful than what it sounds like you experienced (not looking forward to the em/debarkation zoos especially) but good to know what others have seen and/or gone through.

4 minutes ago, Broons77 said:

Following...  Booked on Anthem in March.  I'd imagine things may be a bit less eventful than what it sounds like you experienced (not looking forward to the em/debarkation zoos especially) but good to know what others have seen and/or gone through.

So, the zoos were mainly for those with kids (sorry, but that's a fact) as those families had to wait in the terminal for 2+ hours upon embarkation. I was in the garage by 11:10 - in line by 11:20 - at the yellow usher gate when they had started calling handicapped, 12, and 12:30 (my check-in time) by 11:30 - security by 11:35 - check-in by 11:40 (a tech glitch had slowed me down there) - elevator by 11:55 - Solarium Bistro by 12:00.

Check-out was a breeze - I was the 12th(?) +/- group out (self-carry luggage).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

How full was the ship?

So, people are going to tell you 1,900. Or something similar.

Here's what matters: it never felt busy. It never felt full.

Sure, WJ had action - but no lines.

Sure, Boleros was lively - but seats were available.

Sure, shows were packed - aha, bottom decks, 5 was always barren.

Yes, people did appear - disco class one day filled the entire SeaPlex, and day 5 had quite a crowded pool deck, with a few more eager hot tub participants than spots  - but it was still free and comfortable. And doesn't that count the most?

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Rysyonok said:

What's more, I'm recently off of Oasis as well (October 3rd), so it's going to be quite interesting to compare the two ships (and oh boy, were they uniquely distinct).

I'm interested to hear your comparison.  I too was recently on Oasis (October 17th) and will be on Anthem for two sailings in December.

It was my first time on an Oasis class ship, while I've been on four sailing on Quantum class (Quantum 1x, Anthem 3x).

I was impressed with Oasis.  I may be disappointed "going back" to Anthem.

17 minutes ago, Rysyonok said:

I was in the garage by 11:10 - in line by 11:20 - at the yellow usher gate when they had started calling handicapped, 12, and 12:30 (my check-in time) by 11:30 - security by 11:35 - check-in by 11:40 (a tech glitch had slowed me down there) - elevator by 11:55 - Solarium Bistro by 12:00.

Check-out was a breeze - I was the 12th(?) +/- group out (self-carry luggage).

This pretty much matches my experience on my Oasis sailing.

1 minute ago, Another_Critic said:

I'm interested to hear your comparison.  I too was recently on Oasis (October 17th) and will be on Anthem for two sailings in December.

It was my first time on an Oasis class ship, while I've been on four sailing on Quantum class (Quantum 1x, Anthem 3x).

I was impressed with Oasis.  I may be disappointed "going back" to Anthem.

This pretty much matches my experience on my Oasis sailing.

So, I'm sure Anthem has its charm. Tons of it. Lots of it. And crew demeanor was so much British-like subtle...

But hot-(censored) I miss Oasis! All the excitement. All the energy. All the clarity (so, do we wear masks here? Do we not? Is anyone as much as going to bother to tell us?). In a way, Oasis was American (straight to the face, this is this, and that is that (a due disclaimer - I'm not a true American - if I'm making a huge cultural faux pax, please, please, do tell me)), whereas Anthem was quite British-subtle (ah, but could you please do this or that).

Both were amazing.

Both were so perfect.

Oasis just a hair more so.

• Like 1

DW and I were originally booked on this cruise. I cancelled as I was not sure if it would sail.  Rebooked on Oasis Oct 24.  Tested positive Oct 22 and had to cancel.  Still waiting for refunds.  My wife was much sicker than I and is still recovering in a

nursing home.  We are booked on the Dec 24 an inside but have put in for an upgrade.

We were on the Anthem 2 years ago and loved the ship.  Wondering if anything has materially changed.

5 minutes ago, Rysyonok said:

So, I'm sure Anthem has its charm. Tons of it. Lots of it. And crew demeanor was so much British-like subtle...

Two of my four Quantum class sailings were basically "British", since they were full of Brits on the Southampton to Cape Liberty crossings.  Plus, I spent 8 and 10 days pre-cruise exploring England ... and driving on the "wrong" side of the road.  😄

4 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Please tell of the lost day and delayed arrival.

What show was canceled?

Lost day is Sunday, November 7th.

Both Spectra's Cabaret and We Will Rock You were mysteriously cancelled November 10th after we had left Port Canaveral. Understaffing and technical difficulties were cited despite the two performances taking place in different venues.

One of Spectra's members did appear at November 13th Latin Show. Take that as you will.

5 minutes ago, Trailcon said:

DW and I were originally booked on this cruise. I cancelled as I was not sure if it would sail.  Rebooked on Oasis Oct 24.  Tested positive Oct 22 and had to cancel.  Still waiting for refunds.  My wife was much sicker than I and is still recovering in a

nursing home.  We are booked on the Dec 24 an inside but have put in for an upgrade.

We were on the Anthem 2 years ago and loved the ship.  Wondering if anything has materially changed.

Sorry, will have to pass, as this was my first Anthem. But the ship was truly awesome. 🙂 Come aboard.

5 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Two of my four Quantum class sailings were basically "British", since they were full of Brits on the Southampton to Cape Liberty crossings.  Plus, I spent 8 and 10 days pre-cruise exploring England ... and driving on the "wrong" side of the road.  😄

Fun fact not many people may have picked up on: we were also the first US sailing with foreigners onboard! It is true - my room was right next to a couple whose departure luggage tag address (oh, bite me, I did look) was not in the Western Hemisphere! Hey, it did make for some unique accents here and there, and most definitely, for the sign that cruising is returning to normal! Can I get an amen here?

• Like 2

Had not occurred to me that cruises have been US citizens only until now!

I enjoy the international feel of most cruises.

Although my NYC cruises have a clear and present accent, there are many flying in for the convenience of flights into the area.  The most homogenous cruise I have been on left from San Juan - they heavily discounted for locals and well over half the ship was speaking Spanish. Felt like a Med cruise!

Have sailed Anthem, Quantum and once on Oasis (noro cruise that wasn't allowed to let passengers off in Falmouth and returned 1 day early) .  Wasn't thrilled with Oasis and not because of nobody outbreak (we were fine, didn't get sick). WJ is too small.  Took 2 days to find freshly made omelets, not in WJ.    Love Quantum class.  Also love Radiance class. Spent 34 nts on Radiance sailing around Australia before they sent us home in 2020.  Will be sailing Jewel in December, January and April.   Anthem doesn't happen until next October.   Expect at some point we'll sail an Oasis type ship.  Just love to cruise. 

14 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Had not occurred to me that cruises have been US citizens only until now!

I enjoy the international feel of most cruises.

Although my NYC cruises have a clear and present accent, there are many flying in for the convenience of flights into the area.  The most homogenous cruise I have been on left from San Juan - they heavily discounted for locals and well over half the ship was speaking Spanish. Felt like a Med cruise!

Quite funny, that; some performers have stayed on from the UK, e.g., Dukes band; British influence was quite prominent, like kettles in cabins themselves rather than coffee-makers. One of the bands onboard (there were 2) was clearly British.

7 minutes ago, oddly excitered said:

I heard about dukes but what do they play?

What is the other band and how were they?

We are on the thanksgiv ing cruise and have seen wwry and spectras so hoping for some good music to pass our time.

Thanks for doing this, no rush to answer.

Dukes are quite flexible -  earlier CC comments pegged them to 1950s-1960s, but they do make it all the way to 2010s.

Candela  - a Latin band - they are very good & perceptive to who dances; they depart 11/28 though.

You may be in for some surprises Thanksgiving sailing

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rysyonok said:

Fun fact not many people may have picked up on: we were also the first US sailing with foreigners onboard! It is true - my room was right next to a couple whose departure luggage tag address (oh, bite me, I did look) was not in the Western Hemisphere! Hey, it did make for some unique accents here and there, and most definitely, for the sign that cruising is returning to normal! Can I get an amen here?

I love this post and your way of expressing yourself!  😉  😄 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Trailcon said:

Sorry to hear of your troubles with covid.    I hope your wife will have a full recovery and be back home soon.

Thanks sharing your experiences. Did you try Ifly or North Star? Do you know the prices for the extended trips and was it easy to reserve?

also interested in how the bumper car sessions work. We are traveling with a 10 and 14-year-old who are quite interested in these activities!

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

I would love to spend time exploring England before a cruise but am at a loss how to go about it. Would love more info if you'd be willing -- could email Etta1213 at aol dot com.

Edited by Etta1213