Live from the Sky Princess 11/20–12/4

KLM3164

7 minutes ago, KLM3164 said:

OK well today definitely did not go as planned and took a bad turn this morning. Our party of 4 got off the ship and were planning to do fish pedicures and swim in the pool in the port area. Unfortunately while walking past the coffee kiosk my sandal caught on the raised lip of the concrete inserts (see attached) and I fell on my right side. I just wanted to get up and get the hell out of there but unfortunately my face was bleeding and I had security and a medical person surrounding me. I asked them to just clean the cut on my face and put a bandage on it so it could get back to the ship. Of course they had all sorts of paperwork they wanted me to complete and sign which made me very uncomfortable but after about 30 minutes they let me go back to the ship. I felt fine and was able to get up on my own and walk back to the ship. They wanted me to use a wheel chair but I refused as I really did feel ok. 

When we got back to the ship I asked security to take me to the medical area which they did. I was very impressed with the staff there and especially the female doctor who worked on me and I wish I remembered her name. She cleaned the wound on my face and recommended using Dermabond and not stitches for which I happily agreed. I also have a skinned up knee but a little Neosporin over the next couple days will do the trick. I’ve also got an ice pack for my eye where I hit the pavement which I will be using now in hopes of keeping the swelling down and not getting a black eye. However if I do get a black eye I’ll be the one around the ship wearing sunglasses on board. Or maybe if I can find an eye patch then I can be pirate girl. 🏴‍☠️ 

After spending about an hour in the medical area it was now around noon so decided to go to the IC cafe for some lunch. But I have to confess I was feeling sad about missing the Costa Maya port. I really wanted to look at the shops and see the pool. So at 1:00 my DH and I decided to venture out again only this time I was much more careful. I kept my head down so I could pay attention to wear I was walking. I’m glad we went back. I got an iced vanilla latte at the Starbucks kiosk which I needed. Walked through the shops and even stuck my toes in the pool. I also have to confess I decided I needed a little retail therapy after my morning debacle so I bought a pair of fire opal earrings. Jewelry will always make this girl feel better!

For future cruisers to Costa Maya I do want to put in a plug for a shore excursion vendor we’ve used in the past here. This is our second visit here and the last time we were here we booked an outside company and they are still in business. Their tours are much more reasonable than the ones on the ship and they were very professional. I would use them again and the only reason we didn’t use them today is because we had never spent time in the port area on our last trip 2 years ago. Next time we return I will book an excursion though this company. It is called The Native Choice and website is www.nativechoice.com.

Ciao for now!

73F121A4-2790-44F4-AF08-98C818E28F8A.jpeg

7EC97390-55CC-4C34-83EE-836550889BE6.jpeg

F7FDC660-7AB9-44B1-ABEE-894F1778E711.jpeg

59BB95F0-C7A3-4464-BC2C-B4604D971098.jpeg

Oh KLM.. I'm glad you're ok, and not too badly injured.  What a horrible start to a day.  But it sounds like you rallied quickly. Love the earrings! Here's hoping for nothing but smooth sailing going forward.

(PS) you didn't miss much on that fish pedicure ...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KLM3164 said:

OK well today definitely did not go as planned and took a bad turn this morning. Our party of 4 got off the ship and were planning to do fish pedicures and swim in the pool in the port area. Unfortunately while walking past the coffee kiosk my sandal caught on the raised lip of the concrete inserts (see attached) and I fell on my right side. I just wanted to get up and get the hell out of there but unfortunately my face was bleeding and I had security and a medical person surrounding me. I asked them to just clean the cut on my face and put a bandage on it so it could get back to the ship. Of course they had all sorts of paperwork they wanted me to complete and sign which made me very uncomfortable but after about 30 minutes they let me go back to the ship. I felt fine and was able to get up on my own and walk back to the ship. They wanted me to use a wheel chair but I refused as I really did feel ok. 

When we got back to the ship I asked security to take me to the medical area which they did. I was very impressed with the staff there and especially the female doctor who worked on me and I wish I remembered her name. She cleaned the wound on my face and recommended using Dermabond and not stitches for which I happily agreed. I also have a skinned up knee but a little Neosporin over the next couple days will do the trick. I’ve also got an ice pack for my eye where I hit the pavement which I will be using now in hopes of keeping the swelling down and not getting a black eye. However if I do get a black eye I’ll be the one around the ship wearing sunglasses on board. Or maybe if I can find an eye patch then I can be pirate girl. 🏴‍☠️ 

After spending about an hour in the medical area it was now around noon so decided to go to the IC cafe for some lunch. But I have to confess I was feeling sad about missing the Costa Maya port. I really wanted to look at the shops and see the pool. So at 1:00 my DH and I decided to venture out again only this time I was much more careful. I kept my head down so I could pay attention to wear I was walking. I’m glad we went back. I got an iced vanilla latte at the Starbucks kiosk which I needed. Walked through the shops and even stuck my toes in the pool. I also have to confess I decided I needed a little retail therapy after my morning debacle so I bought a pair of fire opal earrings. Jewelry will always make this girl feel better!

For future cruisers to Costa Maya I do want to put in a plug for a shore excursion vendor we’ve used in the past here. This is our second visit here and the last time we were here we booked an outside company and they are still in business. Their tours are much more reasonable than the ones on the ship and they were very professional. I would use them again and the only reason we didn’t use them today is because we had never spent time in the port area on our last trip 2 years ago. Next time we return I will book an excursion though this company. It is called The Native Choice and website is www.nativechoice.com.

Ciao for now!

So glad you are on the mend!  Surely sounds like something I would do...I trip on flat surfaces! 
So happy you were brave enough to give it another try and that you enjoyed the rest of your day!

Tonight’s dessert.19D6E0CA-8E5C-4369-8FBE-41260C0506A6.thumb.jpeg.2607f59e5f90fd832efe43efe272f82c.jpeg

We had comedian Jeff Nease in the Princess Theater. It was packed for the 8 pm show and he was so funny. A big improvement over last weeks comedian. Jeff had me laughing for 45 minutes and I had tears in my eyes a couple times during the set.49F77E05-EF5C-4145-9A39-5ADB3AE52AD7.thumb.jpeg.759a87a381731dc2d24d1c9c88bbcfae.jpegE2D6EF0D-B3C4-4CF3-8DE5-ACA8F685B454.thumb.jpeg.e5ade8de3ea8a4c449f795291ed5f7d3.jpeg

Well that’s all for today. Tomorrow is Roatan, Honduras which is a port I’ve never been to. Not really sure what to expect.

Ciao for now!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, KLM3164 said:

Tonight’s dessert.19D6E0CA-8E5C-4369-8FBE-41260C0506A6.thumb.jpeg.2607f59e5f90fd832efe43efe272f82c.jpeg

We had comedian Jeff Nease in the Princess Theater. It was packed for the 8 pm show and he was so funny. A big improvement over last weeks comedian. Jeff had me laughing for 45 minutes and I had tears in my eyes a couple times during the set.49F77E05-EF5C-4145-9A39-5ADB3AE52AD7.thumb.jpeg.759a87a381731dc2d24d1c9c88bbcfae.jpegE2D6EF0D-B3C4-4CF3-8DE5-ACA8F685B454.thumb.jpeg.e5ade8de3ea8a4c449f795291ed5f7d3.jpeg

Well that’s all for today. Tomorrow is Roatan, Honduras which is a port I’ve never been to. Not really sure what to expect.

Ciao for now!

Sounds like a great evening, and dessert looks delish.  Have you noticed if they switched up the menus from last week?

12 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

Sounds like a great evening, and dessert looks delish.  Have you noticed if they switched up the menus from last week?

Menus are the same but some are on different nights depending on "formal" nights.

Our waiter recommended that we DON'T have the prime rib tonight.

And we do turn the clocks back tonight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KLM3164 said:

Ciao for now!

59BB95F0-C7A3-4464-BC2C-B4604D971098.jpeg

Well, damn, as the natives say pretty much everywhere.  Sounds like you are coping and the bumps and abrasions aren't too bad.  I like the eyepatch idea - arrgghh, matey.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, chrysalis said:

Menus are the same but some are on different nights depending on "formal" nights.

Our waiter recommended that we DON'T have the prime rib tonight.

And we do turn the clocks back tonight.

I did have the prime rib but when I ordered it our waitress whispered that if I didn't like it to let her know immediately.  I ordered medium as I always do when we dine out just because if it's a little off either way that's OK.  This came closer to rare but was edible.  It also had a lot of fat and grizzle to trim which would have made our dog happy.  BTW, "edible", which is a term a 26 time Princess cruiser I was discussing the ship with is not a compliment to any chef.  I said I was underwhelmed by the MDR which was the same thing she said, I thought.  She disagreed.  The desert was better tonight and coffee arrived promptly - improvements.

Just my theory - the prime rib was a much thicker cut than I've ever seen in the US.  Also, where we would normally have potatoes there was Yorkshire pudding - essentially a roll.  So my theory is that the galley is still cooking a bit European.  Just a thought.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

I did have the prime rib but when I ordered it our waitress whispered that if I didn't like it to let her know immediately.  I ordered medium as I always do when we dine out just because if it's a little off either way that's OK.  This came closer to rare but was edible.  It also had a lot of fat and grizzle to trim which would have made our dog happy.  BTW, "edible", which is a term a 26 time Princess cruiser I was discussing the ship with is not a compliment to any chef.  I said I was underwhelmed by the MDR which was the same thing she said, I thought.  She disagreed.  The desert was better tonight and coffee arrived promptly - improvements.

Just my theory - the prime rib was a much thicker cut than I've ever seen in the US.  Also, where we would normally have potatoes there was Yorkshire pudding - essentially a roll.  So my theory is that the galley is still cooking a bit European.  Just a thought.

I had to Google Yorkshire Pudding lol.... I would have been like, where's my fully loaded baked potato?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For what it is worth, you can order some other things if you like.  If I dont find something that I like on the menu, I have been known to ask for steamed vegies. They can bring you a mix of carrots, broccoli and cauliflower.  You should be able to ask for mashed potatoes too.  

Note though that I usually travel in Alaska, or the shorter West Coast trips out of LA that use the Alaska menus. (There is a notation on the bottom right of the menu that notes that basic route and the day of the week).  

When I last traveled, though, the French Onion soup was only on one day, but from the pictures of the menus here, it is an every day thing!  I would probably have it most days until I was sweating onions!

The best part of repeating a trip is that you know what menu items are not going to be your favorites and can sample the ones that you first thought would not be wonderful.  I found that I really liked the Chicken Pot Pie (though it is a bit heavy on a seed that I am blanking out on but think coriander is the name).  Also the Pork Belly was pretty good! 

Can anyone post pictures of the buffet?

Also, I have a question about the MDR.  I really liked having the same table staff and the same company. I have made several friends that I keep in touch with from the table.  With the Medallion ap, are you able to make new friends, or is that going to be a thing of the past? 

Enjoy your trip!  I am enjoying reading about it!

Edited by sirclean
noted carrots twice and left off the cauliflower

16 hours ago, GonzoWCS said:

When we booked this cruise whilst on the Enchanted Princess the FCD looked up the numbers for us for both the 18 December Leg and the 28 December Leg.

18 December Leg was ~1500 with about 240 doing the 21 day portion.  That sample was taken 17 November..  Hope this helps

Cheers

Thanks !

KLM, I'm so sorry to hear about your mishap, but hope you can look forward to a speedy recovery, and am so impressed by your attitude and ability to bounce back and enjoy the rest of your day. Cheers!

14 hours ago, chrysalis said:

It's been 20 years since we did a western....and Costa Maya is nothing like it looked back then.... many more stores to take your cash!

Yeah, our first visit was nearly 20 years ago, and there was almost nothing there. We were there a few years ago, but I had broken my foot just before the cruise, and we ended up not even getting off the ship, sadly. Looking forward to seeing how things have changed.

10 hours ago, cltnccruisers said:

I can tell you that the Yorkshire pudding is nothing like what a Yorkshire pudding should be....not even close

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, chrysalis said:

Boy....seems like no one knows how to make a donut 🍩 on this ship, I am sorry to say.

Other IC selections in the morning are good, tho.

Do they have almond croissants?  I love those.

• Like 1