Dinner attire?

Kruzkrazy

3 hours ago, sofietucker said:

DH usually wears a bolo in lieu of a tie. Having not seen a single tie in any pic--corporate or civilian--will he be out of place with a bolo?

I have seen some men wearing a bolo, some wear ties & most do not

A personal choice

• Like 1

Leaving Friday on Riviera and just got an email from Oceania with packing suggestions and they are suggesting a sports coat for men for dining in the restaurants. I was a bit surprised and even some of the photos on their site show gentlemen dining with just a button down shirt. I will bring one but anticipate dining with and without. We'll see.

2 hours ago, artlee said:

Leaving Friday on Riviera and just got an email from Oceania with packing suggestions and they are suggesting a sports coat for men for dining in the restaurants. I was a bit surprised and even some of the photos on their site show gentlemen dining with just a button down shirt. I will bring one but anticipate dining with and without. We'll see.

if you have no plans to wear it, why take it? Oceania has no requirements for a suit or sports coat and although some may wear one (and they're perfectly free to do so) , I never have on Oceania or any other cruise line with a "resort casual" type of dress code.

I have no idea why Oceania is making that suggestion. The choice is yours. You won't be wrong either way.

I always wear a sports jacket to LaReserve. Most often all the gentlemen therein do likewise. The Dom Perignon dinner is especially classy. Our first one was on Valentines Day. No one was dressed down to the lowest admissible level. It’s a very nice affair and a definite step up from the other dinners.

I also typically wear one to Jacques and the PG. I’ve been seated in the forward portion on the PG, when I wished I had on a winter’s coat. My wife always carries a sweater to the Specialties. They maybe warm, pleasant, or overly cold depending upon the circumstances that particular day. The sports jacket has come in handy.

• Like 4

I have seen many men wear sports jackets in the speciality restaurants.  On our last cruise we were seated at a shared table of 8 in the Polo Grill and the 4 men were all wearing sports jackets. The specialities tend to be a little more formal, IMO.  Although you'd not be out of place with a dress shirt and nice pants. Polo shirts and chino pants are fine in the GDR and Terrace but not the specialty restaurants.  Again... this has been my own experience and my personal opinion.

I'm in the Midwest where people are very informal.  However my DH always takes a sports jacket on cruises and will wear it on most dinners in the specialty restaurants.  Only on rare occasions will he wear it here. 

• Like 1

Maybe Oceania is trying to up their dress code image  as many people tend to take the suggestions at the lowest level of dress

DH wears  a dress shirt & dress slacks to dinner ..we rarely eat dinner in the Terrace  but he still wears dress slacks

We used to take a blazer  but  he found less people dressed up  in the evenings  so we stopped packing one

If you want to wear one  take it if not do not

We did  a Luxury cruise  & they had 1 night men had to wear a jacket  it was  a nuisance to drag  it along for one night

jMO

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

Polo shirts and chino pants are fine in the GDR and Terrace but not the specialty restaurants.

Sorry, but you don't get to make the dress code rules . I wear polo shirts and chinos all the time and they are perfectly acceptable under Oceania's dress code.

Your "personal opinion" on the matter carries no weight and is is of no consequence.

I discontinued sharing tables with strangers because of people who look down their nose at anyone not meeting their standards.

I'll go one step further...shorts are perfectly acceptable in the Terrace Cafe and in tropical weather that's what I wear if eating dinner there.

• Like 1

On our recent cruise on Marina (first time on Oceania) my husband brought a sports jacket but ended up wearing it only one night. There were some people that dressed up a little, especially in Polo and in Jacques, but for the most part I saw a lot of women in black pants and nice tops. Very few skirts or dresses. Men were mostly in chinos or slightly dressier pants and polos or dress shirts with no jackets.But you wouldn't have felt out of place with a jacket on. There was no special dress code at Terrace Grill - during the day we saw many people in shorts (the weather was very nice most of the time), jeans, and sweats. There was no one checking dress code at the door of Terrace any time, day or night. 

I will say that the man standing at Guest Relations in his bathrobe and slippers the day we embarked looked like a fool.

6 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I always wear a sports jacket to LaReserve. Most often all the gentlemen therein do likewise. The Dom Perignon dinner is especially classy. Our first one was on Valentines Day. No one was dressed down to the lowest admissible level. It’s a very nice affair and a definite step up from the other dinners.

You mention the Dom Perignon dinner finds gentlemen in jackets, yet they balk at the idea of wearing one anywhere else.  Why?  Are the other venues that much of a step down?

1 minute ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

You mention the Dom Perignon dinner finds gentlemen in jackets, yet they balk at the idea of wearing one anywhere else.  Why?  Are the other venues that much of a step down?

We are going to Dom dinner and Stu will not be wearing a jacket...(He wont even bring one and he will look great in slacks and a sweater..(cold in La Reserve)

Jancruz1

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, lorimay said:

On our recent cruise on Marina (first time on Oceania) my husband brought a sports jacket but ended up wearing it only one night. There were some people that dressed up a little, especially in Polo and in Jacques, but for the most part I saw a lot of women in black pants and nice tops. Very few skirts or dresses. Men were mostly in chinos or slightly dressier pants and polos or dress shirts with no jackets.But you wouldn't have felt out of place with a jacket on. There was no special dress code at Terrace Grill - during the day we saw many people in shorts (the weather was very nice most of the time), jeans, and sweats. There was no one checking dress code at the door of Terrace any time, day or night. 

I will say that the man standing at Guest Relations in his bathrobe and slippers the day we embarked looked like a fool.

The Terrace  is more casual dining venue 

Nice shorts are acceptable  anytime day or evening

Yes people that wear the bathrobes  to the public areas ...not acceptable

21 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Maybe Oceania is trying to up their dress code image

The day O ups the dress code to jackets required/preferred is the day I stop cruising with O. The fact that they don't is the sole reason  why we are returning to O next year (and the year after)

I don't go to restaurants on land that have such a rule and I have absolutely no intention of  doing it when on holiday.  There's a restaurant that I really wanted to go to for years but wouldnt because of the "jackets required" rule. Then they changed the rule to a much more modern  "smart casual", so we had a very nice meal there. I wore chinos and a collared shirt. Didnt feel at all out of place.

• Like 6

Call me old-fashioned. But I am one of the few who still believe in proper dress standards. I want go be in the company of others in tight quarters—like a small ship cruise— who look and dress good. Makes me and my wife feel good and just sharpens up the whole atmosphere. This is not Carnival, MSC, or Las Vegas. Sorry, but polos and chinos in any serious restaurant  just do not cut it for me. Nor shorts.  Certainly not for dinner. Next it will be flip-flops, baseball caps and tank tops. I want my cruise line  not to revert to the lowest common denominator.  So much in life already has.I feel comfortable in sports jackets, have a few nice ones and don't feel I have to accept the slings and arrows of the "anything should go" crowd. How hard is it to have a little elegance? I'm bracing for the attack.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, brittany12 said:

Call me old-fashioned. But I am one of the few who still believe in proper dress standards. I want go be in the company of others in tight quarters—like a small ship cruise— who look and dress good. Makes me and my wife feel good and just sharpens up the whole atmosphere. This is not Carnival, MSC, or Las Vegas. Sorry, but polos and chinos in any serious restaurant  just do not cut it for me. Nor shorts. 

Most people  are smartly dressed  for dinner  but if your standards mean suit/tie or jacket  you probably will be disappointed on O

JMO

27 minutes ago, brittany12 said:

Call me old-fashioned. But I am one of the few who still believe in proper dress standards. I want go be in the company of others in tight quarters—like a small ship cruise— who look and dress good. Makes me and my wife feel good and just sharpens up the whole atmosphere. This is not Carnival, MSC, or Las Vegas. Sorry, but polos and chinos in any serious restaurant  just do not cut it for me. Nor shorts.  Certainly not for dinner. Next it will be flip-flops, baseball caps and tank tops. I want my cruise line  not to revert to the lowest common denominator.  So much in life already has.I feel comfortable in sports jackets, have a few nice ones and don't feel I have to accept the slings and arrows of the "anything should go" crowd. How hard is it to have a little elegance? I'm bracing for the attack.

You don't make the rules. 

Anyone who obeys Oceania's dress code is welcome on board the ship. If that makes you unhappy I suggest you spend your cruise dollars elsewhere, on a cruise line with standards that you find more acceptable.

Equating Oceania's atmosphere with Carnival or Las Vegas is pathetically out of touch with reality.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2