Iona delay

AndyMichelle

18 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Just seen announced Iona will not be arriving in Southampton until Sunday instead of Saturday due to bad weather. 

I know it can't be helped, but really feel for the excited cruisers who's plans have to change rapidly. 

Andy 

I don’t see why they couldn’t have cut todays stop in Lisbon short or travel at speed to dock in Soton on Friday… We’re on the cruise and feel pretty disappointed about this..

We’ve been on a Britannia cruise before that did exactly this and docked on the Friday because of forecast high winds.. This is no different… We lose 24 hours on board in exchange for a token non-refundable credit as compensation for the delay 

Edited by Bluemanc100
  • Like 3

We are also on this cruise.   So disappointed about the delay.   Onboard credit really does not make up for losing a whole day and possibly one port day.

Iona is just off the tip of Spain at the moment and the weather looks fine there, so perhaps the problem is Southampton.   We have friends on Iona at the moment, so wonder what compensation they will have for a delayed return.

Just now, WINDSONG2 said:

We are also on this cruise.   So disappointed about the delay.   Onboard credit really does not make up for losing a whole day and possibly one port day.

Iona is just off the tip of Spain at the moment and the weather looks fine there, so perhaps the problem is Southampton.   We have friends on Iona at the moment, so wonder what compensation they will have for a delayed return.

The compensation is an extra day on board with a slight sea chop 😉

21 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Is the credit generous?  I've just acquired 4 members of my immediate family for overnight Saturday as their hotel cant accommodate them.

Never experianced this before and for those that have,in your experiance is there a standard amount given to the obc,plus do you think it looks likely that Vigo will have to be missed?Just seen the weather report,sunday does look a lot more calmer and slightly warmer.

42 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

Queen Elizabeth is due in on Saturday and currently is still coming in as planned.

I hope the following Iona cruise isn't disrupted too much for the passengers.

It’s scheduled to be 24 hours late departing so far… 

Edited by Bluemanc100

4 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

Just realised Queen Elizabeth is behind Iona according to Marine Traffic. I presume then if QE makes it in on time like planned, it will be due to how well she handles the rough weather compared to Iona? 

Lets face it, QE is a liner, designed for ocean travel, Iona is a block of flats designed to float. 

The fact that Iona cannot handle bad weather is hardly a surprise.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Possibly an interesting Atlantic crossing for Arvia next year if that's the dcase!  Looking forward to updates on the creaking and groaning now Iona's hit some bad weather.

I remember well Queen Elizabeth's second voyage where we lost the deck furniture and had 20ft waves. We passed Independence of the Seas who was floundering somewhat and arrived Southampton an hour late to find cars flooded in the car park.  Hardly felt or heard a thing all night and my dear old mum thought it was the best trip ever!

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Lets face it, QE is a liner, designed for ocean travel, Iona is a block of flats designed to float. 

Whilst I agree with your sentiments, I can't agree that QE is a liner, designed for Ocean Travel. Unlike QM2, which is an Ocean Liner, QE is 'just' a cruise ship, one of the Vista Class, like Arcadia. I do agree though that the size and design of Iona will, on the face of it, make her more susceptible to problems in high winds.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Whilst I agree with your sentiments, I can't agree that QE is a liner, designed for Ocean Travel. Unlike QM2, which is an Ocean Liner, QE is 'just' a cruise ship, one of the Vista Class, like Arcadia. I do agree though that the size and design of Iona will, on the face of it, make her more susceptible to problems in high winds.

Very true, QM2 would be laughing in all their faces in these conditions.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, wowzz said:

QE is a flat bottomed cruise ship, just like Iona, only not quite as tall or long.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

She's apparently managing 16.5 knots compared to Iona's 7.2 knots! Can that possibly be correct?

Possibly, her top speed is only 20kts and pushing that huge "sail" into a strong headwind is bound to be slowing her down. QE's top speed is 23.7kts and she has a much smaller "sail" area.

• Like 1

I thought that this might be the case.

I have read the comments that she creaks and groans alot (especially noted by passengers in some balcony cabins), and that a vibration is felt. It will be interesting to hear back from people on this cruise as to how she is actually handling the sea state.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Sorry, I got my Queens mixed up !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ventura is apparently going the other way at 19 knots, but I'm not sure whether she had to pass through the storm or how many miles further on she is.  Southampton is expecting high winds tomorrow evening through Saturday so assume they are going to continue to encounter this weather for some time.  Looking at the traffic around them apart from very small vessels Iona is definitely the slowest and presumably not a happy bunny.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

She's apparently managing 16.5 knots compared to Iona's 7.2 knots! Can that possibly be correct?

At that speed, I would think that Iona is not a pleasant place to be at the moment.

It will be interesting to hear the comments from the passengers when they finally get to Southampton. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

Let's hope they emptied the infinity pool... I heard the water has crashed out on more than one occasion down through the balconies on the below decks causing flooding in several cabins.

Sounds like the those balconies have been strategically placed to catch anyone who gets washed overboard with the pool water, therefore preventing a man overboard situation.

Seriously though, we've had aft balconies on other ships (occasionally).  Imagine sitting there minding your own business and you get drenched in pool water?  😬

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Sounds like the those balconies have been strategically placed to catch anyone who gets washed overboard with the pool water, therefore preventing a man overboard situation.

Seriously though, we've had aft balconies on other ships (occasionally).  Imagine sitting there minding your own business and you get drenched in pool water?  😬

There are some good videos on a well known social media site showing the water cascading into the balconies. Obviously the designer had never cruised in rough weather !

• Like 2

The bad weather is apparently continuing.  Over on the Cunard board Rakkor reports a very lumpy sleepless night on his blog.  QE is tucked in behind Iona currently with the latter at 9 knots now.  My sister in law who has been scared witless of being offloaded from Iona next week as she will not fly is now apparently petrified!

• Like 2