Iona delay

AndyMichelle

3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

That’s an intriguing comment, John. I’m reliably informed by someone sitting across the room that OBC can only be used on Radley bags.

They sound expensive,my mrs won't spend that sort of money,normally in and out of charity shops (farmers daughter) which works to my advantage.Plus,she hardly ever drinks alcohol,mostly coffee or water.So this means i could end up with my own drinks package.

10 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

That’s an intriguing comment, John. I’m reliably informed by someone sitting across the room that OBC can only be used on Radley bags.

10 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Yeah, funny that, must admit I missed the paragraph in the onboard terms and conditions . But there it is " OBC can only be used on Radley Bags" Paragraph 10, subsection 2.

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Although the shipping forecast isn’t great, it’s not particularly exceptional. Perhaps we have been very unlucky, but we’ve had several cruises in gale force 10 and even an 11 🤢

The only time that we have felt scared was on Azura in the Eastern Med of all places. A freak and unexpected storm hit us overnight and the ship felt as though it was going to be ripped apart. The captain said the next morning that he had never experienced anything like it before. Apparently loads of passengers had gone to the muster stations with life jackets. Frankly, with seas like that the last thing I’d be contemplating is getting in a tender or life boat. I decided that I’d rather go down with the ship! A number of passengers disembarked the next morning and flew home, vowing never to cruise again. Needless to say, the rest of the cruise was like a mill pond 😂 

We went through a force 12 in the Atlantic a few years ago. The funniest thing I heard was on a P&O ship where it was very rough and apparently a lady approached the Captain and said " Captain there's water running down the atrium stairs" where upon the Captain turned to the lady and said " Madam I shall only be concerned when there's water running up the atrium stairs"

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

Just as a contrast, Saga have had an azipod probkem this week,  resulting in the current cruise loosing 3 days (although the passengers remained on board).

Passengers have already been told that they will automatically receive a pro rata refund for the lost days. 

Saga was a technical problem Iona is weather related hardly P&Os fault can’t really compare issues

53 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Good to know, I shall tell my husband that 😁

My parents are currently on Ventura and have lots of on-board spend, more than the think they'll manage to spend, so Mum bought herself her first Radley handbag and purse today on my recommendation.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Good to know, I shall tell my husband that 😁

My parents are currently on Ventura and have lots of on-board spend, more than the think they'll manage to spend, so Mum bought herself her first Radley handbag and purse today on my recommendation.

Christmas present???

8 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Christmas present???

They did send me a photo of a wall of Radley bags and asked if I saw any i liked, but I told them to treat themselves not me, unless they have lots left at the end of the holiday and it would be doing them a favour of course 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I would be quite happy to receive compensation by means of Radley bags..

I have bought Radley onboard, and find that they are usually priced less than they are in high street shops, and if not using OBC, can take advantage of my loyalty club discount. 

The compensation for the lost day is £75 per head for mortals or £120 per head for suite dwellers… heard this from a friend “in the know”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Knowing how P&O operate, very little (if any) of this will be proactively offered. They will just offer some OBC as a pacifier. Those (like yourself) who understand the law will get the correct reimbursement, but only after a prolonged battle and being forced to sign a non-disclosure agreement. Obviously poor weather isn’t P&O’s fault (which they hide behind), but neither is it the passengers fault. 

I’ve only ever used NDA’s when discussing very sensitive business issues (takeovers etc) or when hiring or firing very senior people, but P&O use them for customer complaints. Bizarre. 

I have read an interesting argument that if P&O simply repaid everyone one 14th of the fare as compensation then cruisers would not be able to claim on their insurance. By giving then OBC as a gift then a cruiser can make a claim on their travel insurance. Also all other out of pocket expenses should be covered by insurance, extra night in a hotel etc. Remember this is not due to a fault of the company but a weather related problem. The ship cannot berth on the Ocean terminal in extreme l high winds.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, daiB said:

I have read an interesting argument that if P&O simply repaid everyone one 14th of the fare as compensation then cruisers would not be able to claim on their insurance. By giving then OBC as a gift then a cruiser can make a claim on their travel insurance. Also all other out of pocket expenses should be covered by insurance, extra night in a hotel etc. Remember this is not due to a fault of the company but a weather related problem. The ship cannot berth on the Ocean terminal in extreme l high winds.

That’s interesting and does make sense. It’s not unreasonable to expect a pro rata refund of a shortened cruise, rather than a gesture, but if P&O assume that everyone can do this via their insurance then, as long as they can, that’s fair enough I guess. The cause of the problem (weather or otherwise) should be irrelevant though. 

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

That’s interesting and does make sense. It’s not unreasonable to expect a pro rata refund of a shortened cruise, rather than a gesture, but if P&O assume that everyone can do this via their insurance then, as long as they can, that’s fair enough I guess. The cause of the problem (weather or otherwise) should be irrelevant though. 

Not sure about that. If you compare it to say air travel - where a delay is within the control of an airline they must compensate you, where it is outside of their control they do not - and sometimes this can be an insurance claim. Not sure why cruising should be any different really?

2 minutes ago, jimbo1683 said:

Not sure about that. If you compare it to say air travel - where a delay is within the control of an airline they must compensate you, where it is outside of their control they do not - and sometimes this can be an insurance claim. Not sure why cruising should be any different really?

I don’t see that the two things are comparable. A plane is merely a means of transport. If your flight is delayed you still get what you paid for (i.e. getting from A to B). A cruise is an entire holiday, including food, entertainment and accommodation. If you paid for a 14 day holiday but only got a 13 day one, it seems entirely reasonable that you should get a pro rata refund for the missed day, regardless of the cause. The issue is whether that refund comes from P&O or the insurers. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, jimbo1683 said:

26 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I don’t see that the two things are comparable. A plane is merely a means of transport. If your flight is delayed you still get what you paid for (i.e. getting from A to B). A cruise is an entire holiday, including food, entertainment and accommodation. If you paid for a 14 day holiday but only got a 13 day one, it seems entirely reasonable that you should get a pro rata refund for the missed day, regardless of the cause. The issue is whether that refund comes from P&O or the insurers. 

P& O are on breach of contract in this matter as the contract was for a holiday of a certain length.  Hence it is P&O responsible for providing that length of holiday or refunding for whatever is not provided.  If an insurance company were be to pay up in such an instance (and I do not know if they would), then they would have a right to claim that payment back from P&O.  It is not unusual for insurance companies to claim back their payouts if another party is responsible.

Likewise a section 75 claim could be made to a credit card company, which could well be  be successful, but the bank would then claim it back from P&O..  In fact if P&O do prove awkward on the matter a section Of 75 claim would not be a bad way to go.

If something is not under the control of a travel company then compensation can be claimed by as well as a refund of the lost holiday, but that is not claimable if the cause is not within  control of the company.  With airlines, it has been deemed that a mechanical fault is within control of the airline, but that is not a determined fact with other forms of transport, so would not be an automatic liability, but weather can certainly not be considered in the control of a company.

Edited by tring
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

They can both pay,this is covered on our ins. in the "delay" section as i'm sure it is with others,that's job no.1 on our return.As for the "goodwill gesture",thankyou very much.

We had a major flight delay in 2016 with Thomson,just over 24 hours and claimed off ins. and with the help of martin lewis through the c.a.a. also got a large amount from the airline.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tring said:

P& O are on breach of contract in this matter as the contract was for a holiday of a certain length.  Hence it is P&O responsible for providing that length of holiday or refunding for whatever is not provided.  If an insurance company were be to pay up in such an instance (and I do not know if they would), then they would have a right to claim that payment back from P&O.  It is not unusual for insurance companies to claim back their payouts if another party is responsible.

Likewise a section 75 claim could be made to a credit card company, which could well be  be successful, but the bank would then claim it back from P&O..  In fact if P&O do prove awkward on the matter a section Of 75 claim would not be a bad way to go.

Thanks for clarifying. That makes complete sense to me and fits with my understanding, although I didn’t know about the charging back by insurance companies. Interesting. 

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Just for a sense of perspective,  BA1438 from LHR to EDI flew to EDI, but due to the wind had to return to LHR. 

Just shows that the weather always wins.

Well with the trains being cancelled on the East Coast Rail Line seems a bit silly to try and fly a plane to Edinburgh.

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

Just for a sense of perspective,  BA1438 from LHR to EDI flew to EDI, but due to the wind had to return to LHR. 

Just shows that the weather always wins.

With strength of the wind, I bet it was a heck of a lot faster on the return journey!

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Iona is now south of Falmouth. I wonder if she will take shelter in Torbay to let the storm pass, before heading into Southampton overnight?

I was on Oceana in a similar storm in 2020, and the Southampton pilot boarded the ship just off Brixham. Watching the tiny pilot boat battle through the waves was incredible. 

I wonder if Iona will do the same.

Queen Elizabeth's cruise has now been cancelled. My parents have just received an Email to say that due to adverse weather conditions they will not be able to get her in today and due to the short duration of the cruise they unfortunately have had to cancel the cruise entirely.

I hope Iona isn't further delayed.

Edited by CarlaMarie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1