Iona delay

AndyMichelle

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I agree with you Tom, but your limited number are most likely different to mine😉, however, everyone should still be able to state their views without being belittled. I mean no offence Tom, but I'm afraid that's how it came across to me.

Avril

Nobody especially me is trying to belittle anyone and everyone has a right to voice their own opinions and I am sorry if it came over like that. But there are some on this forum constantly criticise and act like experts without knowing the full facts. Many things happen onboard a ship that cruisers quiet rightly never get to know about doesnt matter how many cruises you have done. The Captain is ultimately responsible for the safety of the ship and staff and customers and does not take any decision lightly without discussion with his/her senior management, sometimes head office and also port authorities. Like I have said in my previous post sometimes port authorities close ports and there is nothing the Captain can do.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Bin man said:

See Iona has been moving along at warp speed arrives in Alacanti tonight 9pm is thst what they call an evening in port ?Wonder what their itinerary will be for rest of the cruise ? Will watch with interest 

Possibly to offload  passengers with covid

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Nobody especially me is trying to belittle anyone and everyone has a right to voice their own opinions and I am sorry if it came over like that. But there are some on this forum constantly criticise and act like experts without knowing the full facts. Many things happen onboard a ship that cruisers quiet rightly never get to know about doesnt matter how many cruises you have done. The Captain is ultimately responsible for the safety of the ship and staff and customers and does not take any decision lightly without discussion with his/her senior management, sometimes head office and also port authorities. Like I have said in my previous post sometimes port authorities close ports and there is nothing the Captain can do.

I  do understand what you mean Tom, but it was just typical forum conversation, guesswork and speculation, without which, there would be no forum.😉

Avril

The above post is another example. Just forum chat.

Edited by Adawn47
added text
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Bin man said:

Iona has a tug assist into Alacanti .Dont think it's anything to do with covid more likely just because they had to miss gibralter and might do it on way back although maybe not as Cadiz is next port after gibralter 

A couple who have tested positive for Covid that are currently in isolation on Iona have been told they bare to be disembarked and left in Alicante.

• Thanks 3

5 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Sorry but I have massed many cruises over the years and still know nothing on how to operate a ship the only one I am confident of controlling has paddles.

You dont need to know how to do something, to be able to appreciate when someone who does, makes a good job of it, or to be able to make comparisons.

13 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

As per postings on a social media site, it looks like two separate couples have Covid.

from what has been said, they expect to be offloaded tomorrow in Alicante. ( the message was posted about an hour ago) 

Someone just posted that the ship didn't dock in Alicante but is now en route to Majorca, this would tie in with Binman's last post.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Someone just posted that the ship didn't dock in Alicante but is now en route to Majorca, this would tie in with Binman's last post.

The person who posted that appears to have got the information from their ship tracker, rather than by announcement from the captain.  Although it must be just before midnight on board, so perhaps no announcement will be made by the captain until the morning. 

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

As per postings on a social media site, it looks like two separate couples have Covid.

from what has been said, they expect to be offloaded tomorrow in Alicante. ( the message was posted about an hour ago) 

Do you have any idea what is happening with contacts of the positive passengers?  Are they likely being quarantined on the ship rather than being disembarked?

Edited by tring

8 hours ago, tring said:

Do you have any idea what is happening with contacts of the positive passengers?  Are they likely being quarantined on the ship rather than being disembarked?

From information that has been posted, it’s only the two couples with Covid that are to be offloaded. Nothing has been said about any contacts.

the person I know on Iona appears to be mystified as to why they are in Palma this morning. It looks as if a full explanation has not been given to passengers. 

I’ve opted not to say anything about the Covid cases, as he seems to be having such a nice time. I don’t think it’s my place to spoil it for him 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

the person I know on Iona appears to be mystified as to why they are in Palma this morning. It looks as if a full explanation has not been given to passengers. 

That does seem very strange !

It's like a mystery coach trip !

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Another person on board has stated on social media that the change in port was due to it being too windy to dock in Alicante.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

That does seem very strange !

It's like a mystery coach trip !

Maybe Palma is the designated covid quarantine port for the Spanish east coast?

That is of course pure speculation on my part, and lacks any professional knowledge.

• Haha 1

On leaving the Straits of Gibraltar the captain said there was a small weather window to dock the same evening in Alicante. The pilot boat joined Iona outside Alicante and after a short while left and Iona redirected to Palma.

Not sure why some passengers are mystified, the captain updated this morning that the winds in Alicante were too strong to dock last night so he’s reverted to plan C, Mallorca. In the night the sea very very choppy between Alicante and Palma.

His intention is to follow the remainder of the itinerary as planned, Barca tomorrow.

There has been no mention of Covid cases. Quite a few decks have isolated areas reserved for quarantine.

E51C6543-2B28-44DB-B16C-580065FFD53A.jpeg

• Like 1