Iona delay

AndyMichelle

10 minutes ago, tring said:

The text does not make clear if the luggage decision was imposed or something chosen by the people concerned.  I would prefer not to lug fancy cruise clothes with me, especially if there is perhaps even an outside chance I could be hospitalised (when there would likely be no safe storage facility) though would prefer to pack things ourselves with just one case to take with us and preferably a fairly small one if we had time and were well enough to do so.

We have relied on our insurance company after my husband developed a tummy bug en route from a cruise ship to the airport in Barbados (via a last day tour).  In fact the port agent suggested a hotel which was accepted by our insurance company and the insurance company re booked our flights home.  I would assume that is the normal thing to happen and was certainly a lot easier for us than to have to make arrangements ourselves for flights etc.  The port agent contacted us as required and even helped by booking our taxi to the airport and suggesting we ask for a late check out that day.

I assume in this case the plans will all be overseen by medcon, with agreement of the insurance company regards costs etc.  Since P&O are liasing with the insurance company, it means the ex passengers will not even have to hang onto a phone whilst abroad to deal with their insurance claim direct, (which we did find a problem).  I see all that as being a great advantage rather than stressful in any way.

From what is being said, it seems P&O are helping as much as possible, which is good.

However,, I think it is fair for me to say, that I would personally find the whole situation to be very stressful. Just being honest, here

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

From what is being said, it seems P&O are helping as much as possible, which is good.

However,, I think it is fair for me to say, that I would personally find the whole situation to be very stressful. Just being honest, here

What worries me is whether we would have enough prescription meds etc to cover an unknown quarantine period, especially if it occurred late in the cruise. I know my wife would also be very concerned at how, as a full time wheelchair user, she would manage any flight home, more so if we were in the Canaries with a 4 hour flight.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I think the only agenda is to try and get straight what is happening.

However, I think it's permissible to comment on how the events would make you feel, if you found yourself in the situations that are being described. 

Of course getting straight what is happening is important, but using social media as fact is not always reliable. When I step onto a ship, I am trusting P&O and the Captain and crew they employ to make the correct decisions (some unpopular) to ensure I and everybody else is safe. If I can trust them with my life, I am quite prepared to trust what they tell me about important decisions they have to take. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

What worries me is whether we would have enough prescription meds etc to cover an unknown quarantine period, especially if it occurred late in the cruise. I know my wife would also be very concerned at how, as a full time wheelchair user, she would manage any flight home, more so if we were in the Canaries with a 4 hour flight.

When we were in Barbados there was another lady who took ill and her husband was confined to a wheelchair.  They were put in the next hotel room to us.  Under this situation it sounds like medical agency taking the lead role, but even for us the port agent was very good and I am sure any need for medical attention/medication would be dealt with - I suspect you would be put in touch with a doctor.  Allan had been taken from the airport to a clinic by ambulance (which was never billed to us or our insurance company).  I think we sorted the clinic bill, though large costs would have been paid direct by our insurance.

The people in the next room had been booked on flat beds for return flight, so that was honoured, though must admit she was Keen to return asap in case her husband took the bug.  The port agent was a young chap, but very level headed and with a very calming reassuring manner and it was the same person who kept contact with us for the three nights we were there.  I assume all staff working for port agents will have a similar capability after all they will be dealing with some very stressful and possibly life threatening cases.  As we got to the second day and we had migrated to the beach (yes with DH "sick in Barbados"), we also met a lady with her elderly mother who had had a heart attack on a cruise and had been in the hotel a few weeks as she was deemed not able to fly, but they were quite calm and accepting of their plight, enjoying their restful winter, yet they must have been extremely worried in the first instance.

I  saying this because I am sure any problems or worries you have will be dealt with as long as you discuss them with the staff taking care of you.  We were in fact pleasantly surprised to find how well we were treated and advised during that short stay.  Presumably, it would be possible for other relatives to travel out to you if that was needed.  Also financially your insurance company should provide whatever is needed for your safe return home.  Just make sure your insurance company is well aware of any health issues you have.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Regards standard prescription meds I thought it was always advised to take additional ones with you in case of delay even pre covid.  Our doctor is happy to provide those items a month ahead of time if we have been going away on long term and we do tend to exaggerate our return date to assist with that 🙂

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I always take at least double my medication with me in case of any problems.

Graham.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Good point - so many things to consider.

My friends are going on the QM2 Christmas Cruise, Southampton to New York, down to the Caribbean, back to New York and then back to Southampton. They’ll be onboard for the best part of a month.

Last time I spoke to them, about 4 weeks ago, they were still intending to go, which surprised me, as they have been slow to come out of lockdown. She has a middle ear problem, and gets excruciating pain in her ear when flying. Last time she flew was coming back fromSpain, and that nearly finished her off and she vowed never to fly again. I don’t know how she would cope if she had to fly back from New York or the Caribbean.

I’ll be ringing them next week, before they go away. There will be a lot of things that I will have to avoid talking about, as I don’t want them to worry about their holiday, if they haven’t already thought about it themselves. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Of course getting straight what is happening is important, but using social media as fact is not always reliable. When I step onto a ship, I am trusting P&O and the Captain and crew they employ to make the correct decisions (some unpopular) to ensure I and everybody else is safe. If I can trust them with my life, I am quite prepared to trust what they tell me about important decisions they have to take. 

I don’t think people are using social media as fact - they are just reporting what is being said.

Most people know that SM needs to be taken with a pinch of salt - but SM also gives a flavour of what is being said, particularly if multiple people report the same experiences 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

The risk of being offloaded is unfortunately a show stopper for us. My wife is a full time wheelchair user and cannot even stand unaided, let alone walk. She would be unable to use a toilet on a plane and even if she could she would be petrified that her wheelchair would become damaged in the hold, as she would be absolutely snookered without it.

The thought of being quarantined in a cabin sounded nightmare enough, but being offloaded from the ship doesn’t bear thinking about when you are in our situation. We have two cruises booked for 2023 and was hoping to squeeze one or two in during 2022 once the onboard restrictions (mask wearing etc) are lifted, but we can’t even contemplate a cruise whilst this sort of thing remains a risk. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Selbourne said:

The risk of being offloaded is unfortunately a show stopper for us. My wife is a full time wheelchair user and cannot even stand unaided, let alone walk. She would be unable to use a toilet on a plane and even if she could she would be petrified that her wheelchair would become damaged in the hold, as she would be absolutely snookered without it.

The thought of being quarantined in a cabin sounded nightmare enough, but being offloaded from the ship doesn’t bear thinking about when you are in our situation. We have two cruises booked for 2023 and was hoping to squeeze one or two in during 2022 once the onboard restrictions (mask wearing etc) are lifted, but we can’t even contemplate a cruise whilst this sort of thing remains a risk. 

I am sure you may have considered this, but in the current  environment,  would a European river cruise be a possible alternative? 

Different ports each day, good food and entertainment,  and land travel back to the UK if necessary. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I am sure you may have considered this, but in the current  environment,  would a European river cruise be a possible alternative? 

Different ports each day, good food and entertainment,  and land travel back to the UK if necessary. 

Wowzz

Sorry , yes we would love to, but but we cruise because we cannot fly. River cruising  does not work for us and many others. Private facilities are the essence of our partners needs and at times bloody quick as well. Our travel requirements, and I believe many others, are based around, where the next private facilities are situated. Suggest you leave this subject well alone. Cheers!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Certainly an insurance company could not consider putting her on a standard flight, but would have to find a workable form of transport.  Apart from an air ambulance which sounds incredibly pricy the only alternative I could think of is Ferry and road and/or rail transport perhaps using an ambulance if needed and hotel stops.  Mind you that would make me worry,. It would be interesting to know what transport would be used though.

I can see there is more chance of such an event at present, but the risk would always be there, albeit to a lower level of risk.

Edited by tring

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

River Cruises very much appeal Wowzz, but they don’t work for us for two reasons. Firstly we cannot fly, for the reasons stated, and it would be a very long drive to get to them. Secondly, they aren’t wheelchair accessible (not even remotely, from the ones we’ve looked into). When we were in Porto there were a couple of very swanky ones berthed there and I went on board to check them out (I couldn’t get my wife up the narrow and stepped gangway). The very helpful reception staff admitted that they weren’t at all practical for full time wheelchair users.

Whilst we are keen to return to ocean cruising, the current issues and restrictions put us off completely (not just the offloading risk) and we have been enjoying plenty of U.K. based holidays in the meantime. Neither of us like hot weather, so we aren’t missing the ‘abroad’ factor! We’ve booked a few cruises for 2023 and it’s increasingly looking like they will have to be our next ones, unless things improve drastically during 2022. It seems hard to believe that we are going into the third year that this ruddy pandemic will have impacted on our lives, but there we are. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tring said:

Certainly an insurance company could not consider putting her on a standard flight, but would have to find a workable form of transport.  Apart from an air ambulance which sounds incredibly pricy the only alternative I could think of is Ferry and road and/or rail transport perhaps using an ambulance if needed and hotel stops.  Mind you that would make me worry,. It would be interesting to know what transport would be used though.

I can see there is more chance of such an event at present, but the risk would always be there, albeit to a lower level of risk.

Yes, I’m sure that we wouldn’t be abandoned, but who wants to book a holiday with the risk of all of that? Certainly not us! Most public transport isn’t terribly practical for a full time wheelchair user with severe mobility issues which is why we book cruises, as they are very well set up for my wife’s needs (and mine as a carer).

I often say to my wife that we are fortunate that we live in the U.K., as nowhere can be built nowadays without disabled access & accessible toilets factored in. Going abroad always reinforces this fact as it can be quite a challenge at times. Given that we were regular cruisers and are now retired, we haven’t missed cruising as much as we thought we would, so we aren’t desperate to return until the experience is one that we would completely enjoy. Sadly, the cruise industry isn’t in that place yet, so until it is we are content with exploring more of this lovely country that we live in.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Me too Graham, and a paper copy of my prescription from the Drs

Michelle

At home I have my heart medication put in daily pill boxes but when going abroad I too take a copy of my prescription and also leave the pills in their original packaging.

I hope you have a nice weekend Michelle.

Graham.

15 hours ago, tring said:

When we were in Barbados there was another lady who took ill and her husband was confined to a wheelchair.  They were put in the next hotel room to us.  Under this situation it sounds like medical agency taking the lead role, but even for us the port agent was very good and I am sure any need for medical attention/medication would be dealt with - I suspect you would be put in touch with a doctor.  Allan had been taken from the airport to a clinic by ambulance (which was never billed to us or our insurance company).  I think we sorted the clinic bill, though large costs would have been paid direct by our insurance.

The people in the next room had been booked on flat beds for return flight, so that was honoured, though must admit she was Keen to return asap in case her husband took the bug.  The port agent was a young chap, but very level headed and with a very calming reassuring manner and it was the same person who kept contact with us for the three nights we were there.  I assume all staff working for port agents will have a similar capability after all they will be dealing with some very stressful and possibly life threatening cases.  As we got to the second day and we had migrated to the beach (yes with DH "sick in Barbados"), we also met a lady with her elderly mother who had had a heart attack on a cruise and had been in the hotel a few weeks as she was deemed not able to fly, but they were quite calm and accepting of their plight, enjoying their restful winter, yet they must have been extremely worried in the first instance.

I  saying this because I am sure any problems or worries you have will be dealt with as long as you discuss them with the staff taking care of you.  We were in fact pleasantly surprised to find how well we were treated and advised during that short stay.  Presumably, it would be possible for other relatives to travel out to you if that was needed.  Also financially your insurance company should provide whatever is needed for your safe return home.  Just make sure your insurance company is well aware of any health issues you have.

I have first hand experience of an injury abroad. Having had surgery on my back that hadn’t worked out as planned I declared everything on my insurance. Five days into a holiday in Cyprus my back went again(discs) and I couldn’t stand up. I was taken into Hosp, missed our flight home of course. After 5 days my insurance company flew a nurse out from the UK to fly home with me. I was taken direct to aircraft on a stretcher and had a bed on the plane, I was then taken into Hospital in the Uk for treatment. The insurance paid for everything. I would not want to repeat the experience again, especially as my health and mobility has deteriorated.

Motto of the story, think carefully and get good insurance, you never know what might happen

Michelle

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

At home I have my heart medication put in daily pill boxes but when going abroad I too take a copy of my prescription and also leave the pills in their original packaging.

I hope you have a nice weekend Michelle.

Graham.

Thanks Graham, you too. Putting the Christmas decorations up today

Michelle

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

River Cruises very much appeal Wowzz, but they don’t work for us for two reasons. Firstly we cannot fly, for the reasons stated, and it would be a very long drive to get to them. Secondly, they aren’t wheelchair accessible (not even remotely, from the ones we’ve looked into). When we were in Porto there were a couple of very swanky ones berthed there and I went on board to check them out (I couldn’t get my wife up the narrow and stepped gangway). The very helpful reception staff admitted that they weren’t at all practical for full time wheelchair users.

Whilst we are keen to return to ocean cruising, the current issues and restrictions put us off completely (not just the offloading risk) and we have been enjoying plenty of U.K. based holidays in the meantime. Neither of us like hot weather, so we aren’t missing the ‘abroad’ factor! We’ve booked a few cruises for 2023 and it’s increasingly looking like they will have to be our next ones, unless things improve drastically during 2022. It seems hard to believe that we are going into the third year that this ruddy pandemic will have impacted on our lives, but there we are. 

That is excellent information about the lack of wheelchair access on River cruises Selbourne which is not publicised.

Graham.

3 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

I have first hand experience of an injury abroad. Having had surgery on my back that hadn’t worked out as planned I declared everything on my insurance. Five days into a holiday in Cyprus my back went again(discs) and I couldn’t stand up. I was taken into Hosp, missed our flight home of course. After 5 days my insurance company flew a nurse out from the UK to fly home with me. I was taken direct to aircraft on a stretcher and had a bed on the plane, I was then taken into Hospital in the Uk for treatment. The insurance paid for everything. I would not want to repeat the experience again, especially as my health and mobility has deteriorated.

Motto of the story, think carefully and get good insurance, you never know what might happen

Michelle

Great advice Michelle about excellent insurance and I'm really sorry to hear about your injury in Cyprus.

Graham.

29 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Yes, I’m sure that we wouldn’t be abandoned, but who wants to book a holiday with the risk of all of that? Certainly not us! Most public transport isn’t terribly practical for a full time wheelchair user with severe mobility issues which is why we book cruises, as they are very well set up for my wife’s needs (and mine as a carer).

I often say to my wife that we are fortunate that we live in the U.K., as nowhere can be built nowadays without disabled access & accessible toilets factored in. Going abroad always reinforces this fact as it can be quite a challenge at times. Given that we were regular cruisers and are now retired, we haven’t missed cruising as much as we thought we would, so we aren’t desperate to return until the experience is one that we would completely enjoy. Sadly, the cruise industry isn’t in that place yet, so until it is we are content with exploring more of this lovely country that we live in.

We do miss cruising desperately, but the risks for us are not worth taking at the moment. 

Like many others, we cruise because Michelle cannot fly, so the thought of being offloaded in Spain is frightening. 

Andy 

• Like 2

I personally think the pandemic has made many who cruise acutely aware the risks of being offloaded are there.  Of course they've always been there and the fact is we've probably all been in denial of the risk because we had the blinkers on and went on our merry way because it was unpalatable to think about it.  Unfortunately we will all most likely have seen emergency evacuations while cruising and these people were but for the grace of God us.  Going back to "normal" will sadly not take away the risk.  The number of people currently being offloaded is actually tiny when looked at in conjunction with how many are sailing across all ships and brands, but we seem to be developing a car crash attitude every time one comes up.

Modern life has made us casually accepting of many things and we are now relearning that any activity or action may have repercussions. Basically individuals are making risk assessments which they would have being doing before but possibly ignoring. 

I'm not a social media user but I'm told on the P&O FB page at present a group of people are bombarding the board about P&O's policy on those needing breathing assistance in an effort to allow someone to fulfill their "dying wish". While sad if it's true, surely this is an example of gross stupidity and ignorance of why the rules are there. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I personally think the pandemic has made many who cruise acutely aware the risks of being offloaded are there.  Of course they've always been there and the fact is we've probably all been in denial of the risk because we had the blinkers on and went on our merry way because it was unpalatable to think about it.  Unfortunately we will all most likely have seen emergency evacuations while cruising and these people were but for the grace of God us.  Going back to "normal" will sadly not take away the risk.  The number of people currently being offloaded is actually tiny when looked at in conjunction with how many are sailing across all ships and brands, but we seem to be developing a car crash attitude every time one comes up.

Modern life has made us casually accepting of many things and we are now relearning that any activity or action may have repercussions. Basically individuals are making risk assessments which they would have being doing before but possibly ignoring. 

I'm not a social media user but I'm told on the P&O FB page at present a group of people are bombarding the board about P&O's policy on those needing breathing assistance in an effort to allow someone to fulfill their "dying wish". While sad if it's true, surely this is an example of gross stupidity and ignorance of why the rules are there. 

I think you are probably right but, with respect, you are understandably looking at this through the lens of an able bodied person. We have been on plenty of cruises where people have been offloaded, or even airlifted, but these are usually potentially life threatening situations. Even though being offloaded would be a nightmare situation for us, if it was a life threatening situation we would have no hesitation in being offloaded and then worry about the consequences and practicalities of getting home at a later stage. If we spent our life worrying about life threatening scenarios we would never leave the house!

What we are facing now is an entirely different proposition and that is the risk of being offloaded due to contracting a virus. We are triple vaccinated with a cocktail of AZ and Phizer potions so, hopefully, the chances of us being in a life threatening situation should we catch Covid is extremely remote indeed. None the less, in spite of the exceptionally low risk to life and my wife’s disability, we would still be offloaded. We had assumed that the areas of the ship that were cordoned off for covid infected passengers would mean that if people were unlucky enough to become infected they would be quarantined there until arrival back in Southampton. To be fair, that prospect alone was enough to put us off cruising at present, but the offloading aspect takes the level of concern to a whole new level. I wouldn’t relish that as an able bodied person, but for someone with a severe disability the prospect is terrifying. 

• Like 5