Iona delay

AndyMichelle

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

It will be interesting to see how long she stays there.  If it's Covid related she will assumedly leave fairly rapidly to try to pick up her schedule.

All aboard 9pm this evening. Doesn’t need to leave rapidly as Palma is replacing Alicante as a port stop.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mitooki said:

On leaving the Straits of Gibraltar the captain said there was a small weather window to dock the same evening in Alicante. The pilot boat joined Iona outside Alicante and after a short while left and Iona redirected to Palma.

Not sure why some passengers are mystified, the captain updated this morning that the winds in Alicante were too strong to dock last night so he’s reverted to plan C, Mallorca. In the night the sea very very choppy between Alicante and Palma.

His intention is to follow the remainder of the itinerary as planned, Barca tomorrow.

There has been no mention of Covid cases. Quite a few decks have isolated areas reserved for quarantine.

E51C6543-2B28-44DB-B16C-580065FFD53A.jpeg

A couple have been removed in Alicante and have been on the book telling us all about it.  They say they are concerned for their health and finances.  They had coughs and volunteered to be tested and were positive.  People are praising them for being honest and thinking of others.

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, lujaha said:

A couple have been removed in Alicante and have been on the book telling us all about it.  They say they are concerned for their health and finances.  They had coughs and volunteered to be tested and were positive.  People are praising them for being honest and thinking of others.

They wrote yesterday they were being removed in Alicante, but obviously they didn't stop there, so waiting to hear again from them as to what has happened.

• Thanks 1

I've got pictures from the family just arrived and they're in bright blue skies in t shirts and sunglasses. Nothing to worry about there ...

My P&O contact has emailed to say she's looking into these social media posts about Covid- she knows my family are onboard. Will be interesting to hear if these reports are correct.

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

So, Iona arrived in Palma just after 7am today.

Obviously, as I am not an expert, I will not express any comment, in case I upset MajorTom !

Strangely we have some in the fridge to have with the focaccia lunch time. You will surmise my expertise is Italian ham. Parma is our favourite.🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Maybe Palma is the designated covid quarantine port for the Spanish east coast?

That is of course pure speculation on my part, and lacks any professional knowledge.

Mixed opinions about Palma. Last time we were there was 2 years ago on Explorer of the seas. No Covid cases, but it rained. On balance I would prefer the rain.🤔

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Maybe Palma is the designated covid quarantine port for the Spanish east coast?

That is of course pure speculation on my part, and lacks any professional knowledge.

Scuttlebutt from the ship suggested that they didn't dock in Alicante because of high wind speeds, pilot took them in and a tug was brought alongside but the ship turned around and left at 20 knots.

6 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Mixed opinions about Palma. Last time we were there was 2 years ago on Explorer of the seas. No Covid cases, but it rained. On balance I would prefer the rain.🤔

We quite like Palma (the place not the cheese gromit) we usually walk to the Cathedral where we have found a nice little bar that serves a good selection of wines. However rain would dampen our enthusiasm for the trek (pun intended).

• Like 1

Just now, yorkshirephil said:

We quite like Palma (the place not the cheese gromit) we usually walk to the Cathedral where we have found a nice little bar that serves a good selection of wines. However rain would dampen our enthusiasm for the trek (pun intended).

We got the silly train to Soller and had lunch in a very nice hotel ,5 star with a Bugatti in the entrance. We enjoyed that. We also one time, stayed in a 3 Star ai package hotel, full of folk from oop north. We enjoyed that. We skipped the Cathedral as DW found C&A. Lots of variety in Majorca.

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

We got the silly train to Soller and had lunch in a very nice hotel ,5 star with a Bugatti in the entrance. We enjoyed that. We also one time, stayed in a 3 Star ai package hotel, full of folk from oop north. We enjoyed that. We skipped the Cathedral as DW found C&A. Lots of variety in Majorca.

I have memories of wearing a Crimplene anorak from C&A as a child. NOT fond memories, I hasten to add!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

So, Iona arrived in Palma just after 7am today.

Obviously, as I am not an expert, I will not express any comment, in case I upset MajorTom !

So childish. That comment says more about you than me.

Edited by majortom10
  • Haha 1

1) we don’t get a choice if we want to stay on or not sadly. It is down to the port authorities. The captain or dr on Iona don’t get a say. 

2) we will only take the luggage we require the rest will stay on board and be taken back to Southampton and looked after for us to pick up once we are covid free and back home. 

3) we will be flown home once we receive the all clear from covid tests. We do not know when this will be and where we will fly too again something out of our hands and being sorted for us. 

4) we have been given details of Medcon who will be looking after us once we are on land …

5) the staff here on Iona have so far been dealing with our insurance company for us … 

Edited by watsonbeau
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I have to say, I would personally find all if that very stressful.  Even leaving part of my luggage behind would be worrying for me 

That sounds worse than we were led to believe. 

Avril

• Like 2

21 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Nobody especially me is trying to belittle anyone and everyone has a right to voice their own opinions and I am sorry if it came over like that. But there are some on this forum constantly criticise and act like experts without knowing the full facts. Many things happen onboard a ship that cruisers quiet rightly never get to know about doesnt matter how many cruises you have done. The Captain is ultimately responsible for the safety of the ship and staff and customers and does not take any decision lightly without discussion with his/her senior management, sometimes head office and also port authorities. Like I have said in my previous post sometimes port authorities close ports and there is nothing the Captain can do.

It is easy to be critical without the responsibility

I did 25 years SAR nothing annoys me more than the amateur captains on board 

recently  on QE and knew when we left Lisbon the forecast would stop us getting into Cadiz although my table companions disagreed strongly

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sogne said:

It is easy to be critical without the responsibility

I did 25 years SAR nothing annoys me more than the amateur captains on board 

recently  on QE and knew when we left Lisbon the forecast would stop us getting into Cadiz although my table companions disagreed strongly

I didn't do any SAR, but nothing annoys me more than........... actually not much at all🤔

1 hour ago, watsonbeau said:

1) we don’t get a choice if we want to stay on or not sadly. It is down to the port authorities. The captain or dr on Iona don’t get a say. 

2) we will only take the luggage we require the rest will stay on board and be taken back to Southampton and looked after for us to pick up once we are covid free and back home. 

3) we will be flown home once we receive the all clear from covid tests. We do not know when this will be and where we will fly too again something out of our hands and being sorted for us. 

4) we have been given details of Medcon who will be looking after us once we are on land …

5) the staff here on Iona have so far been dealing with our insurance company for us … 

Is this from today or before aborted Alicante port call?  As I understand it these people actually have tested positive and will be fully insured.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, watsonbeau said:

I am sorry if this does not seem to fit an agenda which appears to be creeping into some threads and posts on here, but if this information is correct, it seems as though P&O are acting responsibly and in accordance with the regulations set by the countries in whose waters they are sailing. They are taking care of unnecessary luggage, have appointed an agency to look after those unfortunate enough to have tested positive for Covid and are liaising with the passenger’s insurance company. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I have to say, I would personally find all if that very stressful.  Even leaving part of my luggage behind would be worrying for me 

The text does not make clear if the luggage decision was imposed or something chosen by the people concerned.  I would prefer not to lug fancy cruise clothes with me, especially if there is perhaps even an outside chance I could be hospitalised (when there would likely be no safe storage facility) though would prefer to pack things ourselves with just one case to take with us and preferably a fairly small one if we had time and were well enough to do so.

We have relied on our insurance company after my husband developed a tummy bug en route from a cruise ship to the airport in Barbados (via a last day tour).  In fact the port agent suggested a hotel which was accepted by our insurance company and the insurance company re booked our flights home.  I would assume that is the normal thing to happen and was certainly a lot easier for us than to have to make arrangements ourselves for flights etc.  The port agent contacted us as required and even helped by booking our taxi to the airport and suggesting we ask for a late check out that day.

I assume in this case the plans will all be overseen by medcon, with agreement of the insurance company regards costs etc.  Since P&O are liasing with the insurance company, it means the ex passengers will not even have to hang onto a phone whilst abroad to deal with their insurance claim direct, (which we did find a problem).  I see all that as being a great advantage rather than stressful in any way.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I am sorry if this does not seem to fit an agenda which appears to be creeping into some threads and posts on here, but if this information is correct, it seems as though P&O are acting responsibly and in accordance with the regulations set by the countries in whose waters they are sailing. They are taking care of unnecessary luggage, have appointed an agency to look after those unfortunate enough to have tested positive for Covid and are liaising with the passenger’s insurance company. 

That is exactly my thoughts, though I  have used more words expressing it, giving a real life example we have dealt with ourselves.

• Like 1

Post on the book of visages began like this - 

Just a quick update (for some reason I can no longer comment on my previous post) so over night we couldn’t dock in Alicante as the weather was so bad and they went on to Palma in Majorca, where we have just docked. We will still be leaving the ship here but are awaiting further details once the crew know more themselves. 

It does sound like P&O are helping out.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I think the only agenda is to try and get straight what is happening.

However, I think it's permissible to comment on how the events would make you feel, if you found yourself in the situations that are being described. 

• Like 1