Iona delay

AndyMichelle

We had booked onto Iona’s next cruise leaving this weekend but transferred it before the balance was payable  because we are still wary of Covid. Reading this morning that Portugal will be re-introducing Covid restrictions, along with the late arrival and departure due to the weather, it seems like we made a good choice, albeit several months ago. I hope I am wrong and that those on the cruise have a wonderful time.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CarlaMarie said:

I thought that this might be the case.

I have read the comments that she creaks and groans alot (especially noted by passengers in some balcony cabins), and that a vibration is felt. It will be interesting to hear back from people on this cruise as to how she is actually handling the sea state.

With regards to creaking on board Iona, it is worth mentioning that we had to be moved to another deck at 2,am while on QE in british waters due to severe creaking , not just our cabin either , and the sea was not rough. Never experienced anything like that on any other cruise including many Atlantic crossings

41 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

The bad weather is apparently continuing.  Over on the Cunard board Rakkor reports a very lumpy sleepless night on his blog.  QE is tucked in behind Iona currently with the latter at 9 knots now.  My sister in law who has been scared witless of being offloaded from Iona next week as she will not fly is now apparently petrified!

So if Iona is going to be late then QE will be as well, if it stays sheltered behind Iona.

43 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

The bad weather is apparently continuing.  Over on the Cunard board Rakkor reports a very lumpy sleepless night on his blog.  QE is tucked in behind Iona currently with the latter at 9 knots now.  My sister in law who has been scared witless of being offloaded from Iona next week as she will not fly is now apparently petrified!

Thank you for that update on QE. My parents are due on her tomorrow, so I will be watching closely. They haven't been informed that she will be late though, so we are still under the assumption she will be in on time.

I am on Iona at the moment in an Aft balcony on deck 12. It’s been a rough night with a bit of creaking and groaning but not too bad all things considered.

The decision was taken to delay our arrival due to storm Arwen and it’s associated high winds causing an issue with docking manoeuvres at Ocean terminal. 

QE, being smaller and docking in a different terminal, won’t be as badly affected due to the predicted wind speed and direction. 
The rainfall shower from the infinity pool hasn’t been an issue as we’ve had no inclination to sit on the balcony during the past 24 hrs! 
I think it’s drained in such circumstances but I haven’t ventured outside on the higher decks to check it out for obvious reasons.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Lets face it, QE is a liner, designed for ocean travel, Iona is a block of flats designed to float. 

The fact that Iona cannot handle bad weather is hardly a surprise.

I agree she probably handles the weather better but only Queen Mary 2 is classed has a liner, Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria are cruise ships very similar to Arcadia

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

I agree she probably handles the weather better but only Queen Mary 2 is classed has a liner, Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria are cruise ships very similar to Arcadia

Queen Mary 2 is in a class of her own in bad weather, but to give Arcadia her due, I've been in two separate "9's" on her, and she handles the weather well for a cruise ship.  My only time on Queen Elizabeth was very calm, so can't comment on her.   I know crew on Eurodam, another Vista offspring, who also say she handles it well.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

Thank you for that update on QE. My parents are due on her tomorrow, so I will be watching closely. They haven't been informed that she will be late though, so we are still under the assumption she will be in on time.

Southampton docks now list Iona as arriving on 28th

1 hour ago, Golfwidow100 said:

I am on Iona at the moment in an Aft balcony on deck 12. It’s been a rough night with a bit of creaking and groaning but not too bad all things considered.

The decision was taken to delay our arrival due to storm Arwen and it’s associated high winds causing an issue with docking manoeuvres at Ocean terminal. 

QE, being smaller and docking in a different terminal, won’t be as badly affected due to the predicted wind speed and direction.

There are indeed problems getting into Ocean Terminal in high winds.  We were on the Oriana solar eclipse and Northern lights cruise a few years ago and did not dock at Ocean until about 10pm at night despite arriving on time.  They did tie the ship up at a keyside just north of QEII terminal (and south of Ocean), though there was an almighty clang as she hit the key in the process.  It was deemed unsafe to disembark at that location so some local people disbarked soon after docking, late at night, but I think most like us took the option of remaining on board until the next morning.  Must say we did not think the winds were that bad, but getting into the narrow slot of Ocean was obviously going to be a problem. 

As others have said, I would forsee that being even more of a problem for Iona due to her size and shape, (trying to be relatively polite, but I do share the thoughts of others).

Edited by tring
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, daveoc said:

According to a post by P&O on their Twitter account we will get £75pp for delay.

Not sure if that is good or not.

Might be ok for an inside or even an outside cabin.  For balconies or suites I would of thought pro-rata to what has been paid would be more appropriate.  And of course a lot of passengers may incur other expenses such as pre-cruise hotels, or having to change train tickets.

Thing is, during a cruise, there's no compensation for missing a port due to weather, however on this occasion pax aren't able to access the facilities they have paid for, hence my comment re pro rata to what pax have paid.

Edited by Son of Anarchy
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, tring said:

There are indeed problems getting into Ocean Terminal in high winds.  We were on the Oriana solar eclipse and Northern lights cruise a few years ago and did not dock at Ocean until about 10pm at night despite arriving on time.  They did tie the ship up at a keyside just north of QEII terminal (and south of Ocean) though there was an almighty clang as she hit the key in the process.  It was deemed unsafe to disembark at that location so some local people disbarked soon after docking, but I think most, like us took the option of remaining on board until the next morning.  Must say we did not think the winds were that bad, but slotting into the narrow slot of Ocean was obviously going to be a problem. 

As others have said, I would forsee that being even more of a problem due to her size and shape, (trying to be relatively polite, but I do share the thoughts of others).

I agree. Considering the weather and storms we do get in our part of the country and channel, and that Southampton is her home port, you would have thought this would have been factored in by those who designed her. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, daveoc said:

According to a post by P&O on their Twitter account we will get £75pp for delay.

Will that be for each person irrespective of what they have paid as some rooms could have cost nearly double to others.Not only are you losing one day but it looks like your also going to be losing the Vigo stop,which means three days straight down to Gib.

• Like 2

just passed Iona now  got glimpse through rain squalls I can confirm that having been on  both QE and QV as well as Arcadia in my opinion they handle bad weather well although not as good as QM2

is Iona delay due to possible problems berthing in Ocean or inabilituy nto handle bad weather ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Agree it's pretty rubbish for the more expensive grades.  Luckily my lot have not had to pay out on their hotel as it was cancellable and they're able to stay with us tomorrow. Not sure how their car parking will work though, do the car parks adjust it or what?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CarlaMarie said:

I agree. Considering the weather and storms we do get in our part of the country and channel, and that Southampton is her home port, you would have thought this would have been factored in by those who designed her. 

Carnival should have developed their new terminal for the excellence class where MSC  built their new one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Agree it's pretty rubbish for the more expensive grades.  Luckily my lot have not had to pay out on their hotel as it was cancellable and they're able to stay with us tomorrow. Not sure how their car parking will work though, do the car parks adjust it or what?

Just phoned CPS parking and told to turn up on sunday with original paperwork,no need to reprint or anything.

• Like 2

Assume Iona is going to be doing ex Southampton winter cruises for the foreseeable so this could become quite the norm for her passengers as we get more of these hefty winter storms.  Carnival may then have an interesting time if accessing Ocean Terminal becomes a problem for her.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, daveoc said:

For people who are on the next cruise, there would be a legal entitlement to a refund in cash of a one day cost of the cruise (not OBC), plus P&O would be responsible for accomodating passengers overnight pre cruise.

For people on the ship at present, they are entitled to any extra costs, such as parking, travel etc. when they return.

I should imagine in practice there will be a number of negotiations around these entitlements according to individual people's situations, but it is always useful to know the legal rights you are working with, so hope this helps.

Edited by tring
  • Like 3