Royal's Dynamic Pricing Policy Is An Absolute Joke

8 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Yes, but the two most important things are probably not included.  Excursions and laundry.

The pricey excursions are included, and 3 bags of laundry per week. Possibly dry cleaning as well

• Like 2

13 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Everytime I've flown Southwest,  their fares were cheaper than the competing airlines  that charge $80 for 2 suitcases pp. 

So yes, luggage does fly free sometimes. 

1)  South West refuses to allow their fares to be shown on fare comparison sites.  I wonder why???  If they are always cheaper, that would show on the comparison flights.

2)  You are still paying for the bags.  If SW charged for bags, your fare would be even lower.

3)  I am not saying SW is always more, but many times they are.   As I stated, a friend was going to book SW, and I checked Delta, and Delta was $200 cheaper.  And $25 each way for a bag.  So still saved $150. 

And I have status on all the alliances, so get bags free anyway. 😄

7 hours ago, SRF said:

1)  South West refuses to allow their fares to be shown on fare comparison sites.  I wonder why???  If they are always cheaper, that would show on the comparison flights.

2)  You are still paying for the bags.  If SW charged for bags, your fare would be even lower.

3)  I am not saying SW is always more, but many times they are.   As I stated, a friend was going to book SW, and I checked Delta, and Delta was $200 cheaper.  And $25 each way for a bag.  So still saved $150. 

And I have status on all the alliances, so get bags free anyway. 😄

Back in the day before their problems with the 737's (I think), SW was usually the price leader in many of the markets they flew.  Not so much anymore.  15 years ago, they were my line of choice going to FLL for a cruise or even driving to BWI to fly to Cancun, but nowadays it's tough to compare since they don't open up for bookings as far out as their competitors do.

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

Back in the day before their problems with the 737's (I think), SW was usually the price leader in many of the markets they flew.  Not so much anymore.  15 years ago, they were my line of choice going to FLL for a cruise or even driving to BWI to fly to Cancun, but nowadays it's tough to compare since they don't open up for bookings as far out as their competitors do.

They have a bit of an easier time at PHL, with AA having a strong -- but not dominant -- presence. They had to abandon EWR because they were stuck in a godawful terminal and could rarely match (much less undercut) UA fares. Slots became too expensive to keep with 1/2-full planes (at best).

2 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

But their cattle call boarding process SUCKS!

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

But their cattle call boarding process SUCKS!

What cattle call? We recently flew Southwest and was assigned a boarding number and you boarded by number, starting with #1. The lower numbers were assigned to their frequent fliers.The numbers were assigned by when you checked in. We checked in as soon as we could and got a number in the first group A. No trouble getting descent seats and space in the overhead bin for our carry one.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

What cattle call? We recently flew Southwest and was assigned a boarding number and you boarded by number, starting with #1. The lower numbers were assigned to their frequent fliers.The numbers were assigned by when you checked in. We checked in as soon as we could and got a number in the first group A. No trouble getting descent seats and space in the overhead bin for our carry one.

Yea I know, I’ve flown SWA, still the call of the cattle 

3 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Obviously something bad happened to you in the past on SW.  Could you provide details?  Or was it the boarding process with no preassigned seats that you hated.

The boarding process is a free for all.  Never again.

6 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Back in the day, it was A-B-C only and was a real mess.

It's about the same now (the numbering only marginally improves things). In the early days of COVID it was OK with the planes not so full.

Edited by Biker19

I do this too, I book cruises I hate and then complain n moan the whole time. I love doing that. I mean who doesn't? You should ALWAYS book places that you have issues with and rant about it. Especially complain about things that every business does that is in this system called CAPITALISM.

Edited by Moltar
  • Haha 5

19 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Sorry, but no.

Back in the 90s we used to go from BWI to Nashville for a long weekend every so often.  We had a business where our office was in the house.  So to get away, you had to GET AWAY.

Big billboard going to BWI.  SW to Nashville, only $79.95.  

ONE WAY.  So $160 round trip.  But back then, SW advertising was only the air fare, no taxes or fees (it took Congress passing a law to stop them doing this). So that actual fare was over $200.

We were booked on Delta for $135 each (TOTAL price) and were upgraded to First Class.

SW played games with fares to develop that reputation.

Oh, and the issue with the 737 MAX (not all 737s) came after my early story about the friend saving $150 flying Delta versus SW, even after paying for a bag.

6 hours ago, Moltar said:

I do this too, I book cruises I hate and then complain n moan the whole time. I love doing that. I mean who doesn't? You should ALWAYS book places that you have issues with and rant about it. Especially complain about things that every business does that is in this system called CAPITALISM.

You're wrong.  Every business in cruising does not have dynamic pricing with the peripheral purchasing, only Royal.  So, if I want to rant about it I am entitled to.  You've drunk the Kool Aid and you obviously like the taste since you have exclusively cruised on Royal besides your Azamara cruise from 9 years ago when they were still owned by Royal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SRF said:

Sorry, but no.

Back in the 90s we used to go from BWI to Nashville for a long weekend every so often.  We had a business where our office was in the house.  So to get away, you had to GET AWAY.

Big billboard going to BWI.  SW to Nashville, only $79.95.

Go back and read my post again.  I said that SW was usually the price leader in many of the markets.  I did not state that they were always the price leader in every market.

I only know about my firsthand experience flying primarily from PHL.  Go back 20-25 years and SW was the cheapest out of PHL to each airport they flew to in FLA, which was Fort Lauderdale, Orlando and Tampa.  Even though American far and away controlled the PHL airport.

4 hours ago, Moltar said:

I'm right 😛

Oh and Loyalty pays off. 8 free cocktails a day for wife and I combined. After Oasis, 10. I don't need a drink package anymore 🙂

And I know what the costs are for all of my peripheral spending on every line I cruise on besides RCI.  Have better things to do than have to keep checking for "sales".