Royal's Dynamic Pricing Policy Is An Absolute Joke

On 12/2/2021 at 12:44 AM, LGW59 said:

But I don’t do “lowly “ like you do and I don’t do nickel and dime on every cost.  You ought to see what I’m dropping on my next cruise 

I'm not doing lowly.  I have B2B's booked on Celebrity's newest, the Apex, Carnival's newest, the Mardi Gras, Princess's newest, the Discovery and NCL's newest, the Prima.  And a B2B on the amped Oasis.  I normally stay in insides and sometimes stay in a balcony.  

Obviously if you can afford to drop 10 K or more on a cruise, then a couple hundred extra for the drink package is not a concern.  It is a concern for many cruisers, some who wouldn't even think about getting the UBP because of the cost and they have their kids share a soda package.

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

I'm not doing lowly.  I have B2B's booked on Celebrity's newest, the Apex, Carnival's newest, the Mardi Gras, Princess's newest, the Discovery and NCL's newest, the Prima.  And a B2B on the amped Oasis.  I normally stay in insides and sometimes stay in a balcony.  

Obviously if you can afford to drop 10 K or more on a cruise, then a couple hundred extra for the drink package is not a concern.  It is a concern for many cruisers, some who wouldn't even think about getting the UBP because of the cost and they have their kids share a soda package.

That’s great I truly hope you enjoy all of the cruises on each of the lines you have booked.  I’m doing a B2B2B2B on Celebrity EDGE very much looking forward to it.  I don’t cruise as frequently as you, I tend to take many more international land vacations.  When I cruise I like to up my game in the best suite I can.  My husband and I like to spend a lot of time in our cabin so large suite and balcony is very important to us.

5 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I don’t cruise as frequently as you, I tend to take many more international land vacations.  When I cruise I like to up my game in the best suite I can.  My husband and I like to spend a lot of time in our cabin so large suite and balcony is very important to us.

Same for us.  Normally only one cruise per year, plus several land trips.  So we like to do the suite.

9 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Well Celebrity now has the AI program for Sky Suite and above and it includes premium drinks package.  Of course I know we are paying for it in the cost of the cruise but cest lavie.

If you are against dynamic pricing, then you would also dislike the prices of cruises fluctuations. You would prefer all prices be set in stone and never go up or down. 

Why would someone be against drink and coco cay prices changing for sales but they dont mind cruise prices going up and down with demand. It would be hypocritical. 

But this thread highlights there are cabins and cruises for every taste. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, firefly333 said:

If you are against dynamic pricing, then you would also dislike the prices of cruises fluctuations. You would prefer all prices be set in stone and never go up or down. 

Why would someone be against drink and coco cay prices changing for sales but they dont mind cruise prices going up and down with demand. It would be hypocritical. 

Isn’t dynamic pricing somewhat like what the cruise lines does now, raise prices when the demand is rising and drop prices when demand drops? The problem is the lines changed prices sometimes daily and I’ve prices changed a couple times a day. This was before the pandemic. It also seems ironic that they raise the prices and wait a few days then announce a big sale. Most of the time the price drops back down to where it was and because it’s called a sale, the money pours in. I’m sure glad other businesses, especially grocery store don’t adapt this. Based on my last trip to the store you would see tp at $1 per roll, milk $5 a gallon, etc. etc.

On 12/2/2021 at 7:40 AM, xpcdoojk said:

Again, loyal royals is one thing…. LOWLY LOYAL ROYALS, well that is just hating.  Good luck with that!🤣

It's primarily aimed at those who have blinders on, only cruise Royal and put down other cruise lines without ever having sailed on them. There are many like this on the forum.

If someone has cruised on multiple lines and prefers Royal, that's one thing but to blindly put down another line only through second hand or third hand information is another story and one I can't respect.

On 12/2/2021 at 8:19 AM, not-enough-cruising said:

At the prices Prima is charging, I don't know many that are booking her.

You get in when they first open and the prices were great.  And of course don't have to worry about checking for drink package fluctuation since it's already included.

8 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Well Celebrity now has the AI program for Sky Suite and above and it includes premium drinks package.  Of course I know we are paying for it in the cost of the cruise but cest lavie.

I booked our balcony cabin on our upcoming Apex cruise two years ago on the Edge.  We're in the same cabin, got upgraded to the premium drink package and an extra 150 OBC for booking on board, so we now have 450 in OBC to burn.  One night in Eden and three at Fine Cut Steakhouse will use up 330 of it.

Enjoy your 28 days on the Edge.  We have 12 on the Apex in January.

32 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Isn’t dynamic pricing somewhat like what the cruise lines does now, raise prices when the demand is rising and drop prices when demand drops? The problem is the lines changed prices sometimes daily and I’ve prices changed a couple times a day. This was before the pandemic. It also seems ironic that they raise the prices and wait a few days then announce a big sale. Most of the time the price drops back down to where it was and because it’s called a sale, the money pours in. I’m sure glad other businesses, especially grocery store don’t adapt this. Based on my last trip to the store you would see tp at $1 per roll, milk $5 a gallon, etc. etc.

Gasoline changes frequently 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Every cruise line has price fluctuations with their cabins.

Royal is the only cruise line that has price fluctuations regarding the peripherals such as excursions and drink packages.  That was the impetus of the thread.  

By the way, the Prima will not permanently be in Galveston till December of 2023 according to their website, not by Christmas off 22 like you posted.  It will be passing through on an 11 day repo cruise to Miami on Halloween that I will be on.

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

True, but you as well as other posters in the thread are comparing an apple to an orange.

I don't care about price fluctuations with gas, soda, toilet paper or whatever.

The point of the thread is that Royal fluctuates the prices on excursions and drink packages.  No other cruise line does this. In my opinion, it sucks, but many on here don't care because they only cruise with Royal and they deal with it.  Or, more than likely they only take independent excursions and they get their drinks via Diamond or Diamond Plus status. Or they have deep pockets financially and they just pay it.

7 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

True, but you as well as other posters in the thread are comparing an apple to an orange.

I don't care about price fluctuations with gas, soda, toilet paper or whatever.

The point of the thread is that Royal fluctuates the prices on excursions and drink packages.  No other cruise line does this. In my opinion, it sucks, but many on here don't care because they only cruise with Royal and they deal with it.  Or, more than likely they only take independent excursions and they get their drinks via Diamond or Diamond Plus status. Or they have deep pockets financially and they just pay it.

The point is this thread is dead, no one cares, and we've moved on. 

Personally, I think it's like the drink cards. They only offered them if the revenue was down for the first part of week. 

Dynamic pricing kicks in when they start running out of cabanas or excursuons fill up. If no one bites, they bring it back down. Is this really that hard to undetstand. Might even be a magical algorithm. Don't know and don't care.

Just curious, do you have hot lanes on your turnpikes in NJ🤔  We do in Atlanta, as lanes fill up they get more expensive. Brilliant idea.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

I booked our balcony cabin on our upcoming Apex cruise two years ago on the Edge.  We're in the same cabin, got upgraded to the premium drink package and an extra 150 OBC for booking on board, so we now have 450 in OBC to burn.  One night in Eden and three at Fine Cut Steakhouse will use up 330 of it.

Enjoy your 28 days on the Edge.  We have 12 on the Apex in January.

Idk the prices I saw were for dec 2022. Nothing is permanent. I only priced dec 2022 and jan 2023. At those prices I wasnt interested.

If princess came back to Galveston I might be willing to pay more for princess than carnival but rcl about the same. When is a sale not a sale. When rcl has one. No matter what the sale is the prices seem the same. ...though maybe we will see cruise prices close in drop with this new variant, idk. TAs might know if people are cancelling. Supply and demand. If no one pays the going price, they will drop the price. 

41 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

It's primarily aimed at those who have blinders on, only cruise Royal and put down other cruise lines without ever having sailed on them. There are many like this on the forum.

If someone has cruised on multiple lines and prefers Royal, that's one thing but to blindly put down another line only through second hand or third hand information is another story and one I can't respect.

How many Royal Caribbean cruises have you been on?  Is there anything you like about them as much or more than some of the other lines you’ve cruised?

32 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

But gas stations never advertise a sale when it drops.  At the risk of dating myself, I do remember when  gas stations would offer a gift with a fill up. My parents still have service for 8 of those plastic handle steak knives. Thankfully the drink glasses broke over the years.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

FWIW, we took 20 cruises prior to choosing Royal. We liked the product, and PC was driveable from Atlanta. Loyalty definitely has it's rewards, BTW.

I for one, no longer comment on Carnival, Princess, HAL, etc because it's been to long since we sailed them.

4 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

But gas stations never advertise a sale when it drops.  At the risk of dating myself, I do remember when  gas stations would offer a gift with a fill up. My parents still have service for 8 of those plastic handle steak knives. Thankfully the drink glasses broke over the years.

Because now there's an app for that.

Try it.

Gas Buddy  

🙂  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

The point is this thread is dead, no one cares, and we've moved on. 

Personally, I think it's like the drink cards. They only offered them if the revenue was down for the first part of week. 

Dynamic pricing kicks in when they start running out of cabanas or excursuons fill up. If no one bites, they bring it back down. Is this really that hard to undetstand. Might even be a magical algorithm. Don't know and don't care.

Just curious, do you have hot lanes on your turnpikes in NJ🤔  We do in Atlanta, as lanes fill up they get more expensive. Brilliant idea.

I know you don't care John, you're loyal and you're going on a world cruise according to Firefly.  Luckily I only have to put up with this nonsense when I occasionally cruise on Royal and stupidly post on here.  Never have these problems when I post on the various other boards I cruise on.

The bottom line difference is the attitude of many Royal cruisers who gang up on anybody that dares go against the company policy.  I will leave it at that because if I go any further the powers that be will put me in the penalty box and basically it's not worth it.

1 minute ago, SNJCruisers said:

I know you don't care John, you're loyal and you're going on a world cruise according to Firefly.  Luckily I only have to put up with this nonsense when I occasionally cruise on Royal and stupidly post on here.  Never have these problems when I post on the various other boards I cruise on.

The bottom line difference is the attitude of many Royal cruisers who gang up on anybody that dares go against the company policy.  I will leave it at that because if I go any further the powers that be will put me in the penalty box and basically it's not worth it.

I’m not one of the powers that be an I’ve been put in the penalty box myself.  That said while I do not agree with all you post, some sure I do, you are still very much entitled to share your thoughts and opinions.

5 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Idk the prices I saw were for dec 2022. Nothing is permanent. I only priced dec 2022 and jan 2023. At those prices I wasnt interested.

You do realize that the prices you checked on were embarking out of Miami.  After the 11 day repo on Halloween, the Prima will be doing a handful of weeks out of Miami, then a few months out of Port Canaveral, then go out of NYC to Bermuda before going to Europe for the summer and early fall.  There is a late October to December hole in the schedule before she relocates to Galveston.