Is Oceania extending final payment dates or lowering cancellation charges?

MisterBill99

4 hours ago, netpj said:

"Ultimately, we decided to go forward with the payment, largely because we have a second long / expensive sailing late in '22 towards which we could apply the credit if that were to become necessary.  Still, I think O made the wrong decision given the many uncertainties"

I was interested in your comment you could apply the credit to another cruise if you had to cancel this one.  Is it standard Oceania policy to transfer the monies from a fully paid to cruise to another cruise, before final payment date,  which has been deposited?

Look at the T&Cs on the O web for “penalty” info.

How you booked can affect itinerary transfers. With “book onboard,” you usually can do a future transfer w/ no problem. Otherwise, it’ll probably be considered case-by-case. Have your TA check on your options.

FWIW, we’ve done a “non-book onboard” transfer before final pay without any fees involved. But, “that was then and this is now.” 

11 minutes ago, noelmarie said:

We just received notice from our TA that our April 19, 2022 cruise out of Rome has had the final payment extended until Feb 18, 2022, 60 days instead of 90.  Also penalties will not kick in until 60 days.

Is that the scheduled restart cruise of the Nautica?

5 hours ago, noelmarie said:

We just received notice from our TA that our April 19, 2022 cruise out of Rome has had the final payment extended until Feb 18, 2022, 60 days instead of 90.  Also penalties will not kick in until 60 days.

That's interesting. I wonder if they've extended payment dates for longer cruises as well? If so, too bad they didn't do it before I cancelled my cruise.

9 hours ago, jazznruby said:

Also received notice today from O through TA that final payment extended and cancellation penalties for March 18th Riviera waived until January 17th. 

Interesting. We are on the Riviera for the March 18 transatlantic. This morning I received an e-mail from our travel agent that final payment was extended from December 18 (90 days) to January 8, which is 69 days and sort of a strange interval (why not 70? or 60? or even 65?).

The booking as shown on the Oceania Web site is still indicating final payment due on December 18, as of a few minutes ago.

2 hours ago, ExArkie said:

Interesting. We are on the Riviera for the March 18 transatlantic. This morning I received an e-mail from our travel agent that final payment was extended from December 18 (90 days) to January 8, which is 69 days and sort of a strange interval (why not 70? or 60? or even 65?).

The booking as shown on the Oceania Web site is still indicating final payment due on December 18, as of a few minutes ago.

I would bet that your TA is collecting it early. Many do that just so it won't be late. No need really to wait till the last minute. If you add 9 days to the January 8th date you get January 17th which JazznRuby said is their final payment date. 

1 hour ago, ORV said:

I would bet that your TA is collecting it early. Many do that just so it won't be late. No need really to wait till the last minute. If you add 9 days to the January 8th date you get January 17th which JazznRuby said is their final payment date. 

Yes, my TA typically collects 10 days prior which he was going to do tomorrow (the 8th) until I told him last week that I wanted to wait until closer to the 18th to see if O would offer an extension...which they did yesterday. We have every intention of and are looking forward to doing this cruise, but under the current circumstances, seems to me it makes more sense to withhold final payment for as long as possible (without waiting until last minute) to see what O may or may not do.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ORV said:

Never has before. The original due date - as well as another two trips booked through this agency - matched the cruise line’s date exactly, so this does not appear to be the case.

7 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

Never has before. The original due date - as well as another two trips booked through this agency - matched the cruise line’s date exactly, so this does not appear to be the case.

I guess it's a question for your TA. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ORV said:

I guess it's a question for your TA. 

Yes, it’s an agency/advisor thing.  Client should make it very clear that payments should be made ONLY with express permission.  In fact, demand that credit card info should NOT be kept on file as you may want to use different card accounts.  If my agency charged in advance for their convenience and without my permission, I would demand it to be refunded and charged only on the due date.  That would be the last time, in more ways than one.

My TA always asks if OK to do it  early I usually have emailed her before  her time  to do it ..I just like it done & overwith

Horrors  I even pay my CC before the payment goes on sometimes 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Whew! There’s some hard core people here! “ NO! You can’t make payment early on a Friday afternoon, you must wait until Sunday to do it!”

Each to his own.

Sandy, Friday before Sunday I can understand. Not a week or two in advance.  Nor, without the expressed permission to do so, and with extreme clarity as to what ccard account to be utilized.  With tens of thousands of dollars at issue, credit limits (not an issue w me) and reward points, the communication issue is paramount to me.  Clarity isn’t “hard core”!😁

LHT28:  Horrors  I even pay my CC before the payment goes on 

Yes, that is horrors!  Like those who like to get an IRS refund check by loaning $ to the government interest free!  (Yes, I see what country you live in, so I don’t know if that applies to you folks up north)

43 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

My TA always asks if OK to do it  early I usually have emailed her before  her time  to do it ..I just like it done & overwith

Horrors  I even pay my CC before the payment goes on sometimes

45 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Horrors  I even pay my CC before the payment goes on sometimes 🙂

Exactly. I always communicate with TA well before the date (whether 10 days or a few days prior) to go ahead and which card to use. Hi Lyn, it's Jan.

• Thanks 1

My TA emails me about a week ahead, saying the payment due on such and date, asking which credit card I would like to use.  She then charges the amount (sometime split between 2 cards) on the due date, unless it's a weekend or she will be out of town, in which case she charges it as late as possible. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Jockocruiser said:

Sandy, Friday before Sunday I can understand. Not a week or two in advance.  Nor, without the expressed permission to do so, and with extreme clarity as to what ccard account to be utilized.  With tens of thousands of dollars at issue, credit limits (not an issue w me) and reward points, the communication issue is paramount to me.  Clarity isn’t “hard core”!😁

Yes, that is horrors!  Like those who like to get an IRS refund check by loaning $ to the government interest free!  (Yes, I see what country you live in, so I don’t know if that applies to you folks up north)

Never has one of my TAs ever make a final payment without my confirmation.  I am actually surprised that you have run into that situation.I would never do business with one that did.  
 I always make sure that I make the final payment.  I never want to have a cruise cancelled due to a missed final payment, which would be my priority.  Paying a week early is if not an issue based on my priority.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jockocruiser said:

No we do not have IRS 😉

Our Government takes it's share  no matter what 

I try not to give them too much in advance  LOL

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Interesting that cruises after mine have had final payment date extended but mine is not. Marina April 4 from Barcelona,  a Europe cruise. Sometimes O policies make no sense.

I am sailing on the Riviera April 4 and April 15.  Final payment for BOTH cruises have been changed to 60 days prior to embarkation.

46 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Interesting that cruises after mine have had final payment date extended but mine is not. Marina April 4 from Barcelona,  a Europe cruise. Sometimes O policies make no sense.

Often the extensions are based primarily on itinerary length (which also determined original Final Payment date. 
For example, a single segment cruise starting on the same day/same ship as a multi-segment “extended journey” may not get the FP extension given to the longer cruise.

On a B2B April 4th.  Due to the length of the cruise I've already made final payment.  However, I was informed that I could now cancel, penalty free, up to February 2nd.  

Edited by KS&JW

3 hours ago, CruisingIGo said:

I am sailing on the Riviera April 4 and April 15.  Final payment for BOTH cruises have been changed to 60 days prior to embarkation.

Oops, I am on Riviera not Marina April 4. I now see on my new invoice showing the upgrade to a veranda with a fp date of Jan 23 but penalty dates are still the same.

Are you on the roll call CruisingIgo?

Reading these posts, I am now thoroughly confused how they determine which cruises get an extension of FP. Maybe it depends on the ship or the destination and not necessarily the length of the cruise.  I am on Regatta on March 7, 10-days, to the South Pacific and the FP is and always has been 90 days.  There was no extension of final payment and the penalties for cancellation remain the same.