NCL should let us cancel cruises with no penalties due to the new variant

CruizinKittie40

51 minutes ago, SpainAlien said:

don't agree that Norwegian are making it as safe as they could after all they have no masks required and no social distancing

How could they make it safer, by cancelling all cruises?!

If you don't want to be around even vaxxed people, then you might as well stay at home, order everything online, and watch tv.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

I'd also like to add that you are kidding yourself if you think everyone on the ship will be fully vaccinated.  Have you seen the vaccine cards?  Lots of fake ones out there and there is absolutely ZERO way for the cruiseline to verify if cards are real.

If you aren't willing to accept the risks of travel right now, please don't travel.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, susanf31 said:

Why would anyone book a cruise or any kind of travel if new variants are going to cause them to not want to go?  This is exactly what ALL viruses do - they mutate. That's why they can't cure the common cold (also a Covid virus), flu, pneumonia, bronchitis...because the strains are constantly changing/mutating. Deep down you KNOW that.

You know when you book a cruise that you will be in close quarters with thousands of people who have traveled from all over the world to get to the ship. You also know you'll be stopping in several countries where people from all over the world have traveled to, either by land or by sea, bringing a cornucopia of infectious bugs and viruses with them that you will be exposed to.

Enough. If you are still fearful, please stay home, wear your mask, take as many jabs as the billion dollar pharmaceutical companies tell you to.  Stop asking corporations to give you money back because you are afraid of a variant that you KNEW would come. Stop booking trips in the middle of a pandemic if you aren't willing to accept the risks of traveling during a pandemic.  We all KNOW viruses mutate.  We have to live WITH Covid-19. It's not ever going away.  So book your travel and have fun, but please stay home if you are expecting companies or fellow passengers to cowtow to your fear.

Too logical.  Not enough emotion.  Well said.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, SpainAlien said:

Certainly, safer than society but not "as safe as NCL could make it" which is what craig01020 stated.

We are all 100% vaccinated but we all know we can still catch and transmit the virus just hopefully we will not be hospitalised or die.  The test is a snapshot in time, it doesn't guarantee that you are virus free throughout your cruise.

As I said before I am happy with it as it is but could it be safer? Yes

The replies to your posts have become very entertaining. 🙂

Id give up I’d I were you. I don’t think that anyone is actually going to bother properly reading what you are saying. 🙂

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, susanf31 said:

Why would anyone book a cruise or any kind of travel if new variants are going to cause them to not want to go?  This is exactly what ALL viruses do - they mutate. That's why they can't cure the common cold (also a Covid virus), flu, pneumonia, bronchitis...because the strains are constantly changing/mutating. Deep down you KNOW that.

You know when you book a cruise that you will be in close quarters with thousands of people who have traveled from all over the world to get to the ship. You also know you'll be stopping in several countries where people from all over the world have traveled to, either by land or by sea, bringing a cornucopia of infectious bugs and viruses with them that you will be exposed to.

Enough. If you are still fearful, please stay home, wear your mask, take as many jabs as the billion dollar pharmaceutical companies tell you to.  Stop asking corporations to give you money back because you are afraid of a variant that you KNEW would come. Stop booking trips in the middle of a pandemic if you aren't willing to accept the risks of traveling during a pandemic.  We all KNOW viruses mutate.  We have to live WITH Covid-19. It's not ever going away.  So book your travel and have fun, but please stay home if you are expecting companies or fellow passengers to cowtow to your fear.

🙌🙌

I think that we need a new thread.  How could (should) NCL make cruising safer and enjoyable during a pandemic.  Wearing a mask 7/24 is not enjoyable.  Cruised on Carnival Panorama last month and they required mask anywhere indoors.  Hallways, elevators, guest services, in between bites.  Always a crew member telling you to mask up.  After all there were more crew members than cruisers with a ship half full.  It su*#@&.  Up then down.  Up then down.  Oh, left it in the cabin.  Cruised on the Bliss two weeks ago and had a wonderful time.  Crew always masked up and cruisers had then option of no masks.  It was nice to see faces and cruisers smiling.  And going back again.😁

And yes to the OP.  Anytime cancellation with no penalties.✌️

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, jskinsd said:

I think that we need a new thread.  How could (should) NCL make cruising safer and enjoyable during a pandemic.  Wearing a mask 7/24 is not enjoyable.  Cruised on Carnival Panorama last month and they required mask anywhere indoors.  Hallways, elevators, guest services, in between bites.  Always a crew member telling you to mask up.  After all there were more crew members than cruisers with a ship half full.  It su*#@&.  Up then down.  Up then down.  Oh, left it in the cabin.  Cruised on the Bliss two weeks ago and had a wonderful time.  Crew always masked up and cruisers had then option of no masks.  It was nice to see faces and cruisers smiling.  And going back again.😁

And yes to the OP.  Anytime cancellation with no penalties.✌️

I have a Carnival cruise booked for Sept.  If they require masks...I'll forfeit my non-refundable deposit and the $600 in OBC.  Got off the Gem yesterday...and for a week, life was normal.

This is how I look at it:  As a (breast) cancer survivor I have about 14% chance of recurrance.  As someone who is triple vaccinated.....I have about a .00005 chance of dying from covid.  I won't let covid dictate my lifestyle.  Eventually I'm gonna die from something....but until that day, I want to enjoy my time.

• Like 25

19 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I have a Carnival cruise booked for Sept.  If they require masks...I'll forfeit my non-refundable deposit and the $600 in OBC.  Got off the Gem yesterday...and for a week, life was normal.

The Panorama cruise was the second or third cruise after the restart.  Doing the Panorama again in January even though we had to mask up.  Pretty much the only areas that did not require a mask were the pool area and the smokers area.  But you had to have a mask getting to those areas.   I will be prepared.  Just getting the cheapest cruise deals for balconies.   And cruising is better than staying at home eating Cheetos.✌️

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, craig01020 said:

How could they make it safer, by cancelling all cruises?!

If you don't want to be around even vaxxed people, then you might as well stay at home, order everything online, and watch tv.

I know this isn't directed at me but I don't think they should cancel all cruises, I just think I should be given the option of a refund.  

I actually do the above, I work from home, binge Hulu and do most of my shopping online 🙂

1 minute ago, CruizinKittie40 said:

I know this isn't directed at me but I don't think they should cancel all cruises, I just think I should be given the option of a refund.  

I actually do the above, I work from home, binge Hulu and do most of my shopping online 🙂

You already have the option of a refund...simply cancel your booking before final payment and you can have a refund.

If you want to be able to opt-out past final payment date, then you should just simply wait and not even book until the date comes when you are 100% sure and 100% comfortable with your booking decision. However, if you want to book early to secure a specific room and/or a specific pricing offer, then you have to agree to the terms as it is all a package deal.

It isn't fair to the cruise line, nor is it fair to other cruisers who may be interested, for you to be able to sit on a room/reservation just to walk away at the last minute penalty-free.

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, CruizinKittie40 said:

Well, maybe your best bet then is to spend as much time in your cabin as possible.

You can order room service.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

This is how I look at it:  As a (breast) cancer survivor I have about 14% chance of recurrance.  As someone who is triple vaccinated.....I have about a .00005 chance of dying from covid.  I won't let covid dictate my lifestyle.  Eventually I'm gonna die from something....but until that day, I want to enjoy my time.

Not sure about your stats but your last statement is 100%!!!

We were on the Epic last month sailing the Mediterranean.  Masks and social distancing were required.  A bit of an inconvenience, but tolerable.  The "Washy, Washy" crew was out in force.  Good to see them.  No self service in the buffet and they even handed you your plate and silverware when you entered.  Check and check.  There were signs in all the elevator lobbies indicating that the capacity was temporarily reduced to just four persons per elevator.  Well, not so much.  If there were three on board and two more wanted to get on, most folks thought nothing of it and joined in.  We even saw as many as six or seven on some trips.  Other times an elevator that already had four passengers would stop and those waiting to board would just let it go and catch the next one.  The amusing times, though, were the appearance of the Karens (also some "Kevins").  They were the self-appointed elevator monitors who absolutely would refuse to let anyone on "their" elevator if it meant exceeding the limit of four.  Most folks were very laid back about five, six, or even seven folks on an elevator built for 15, but the Karens and Kevins always gave me a chuckle.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, susanf31 said:

That's why they can't cure the common cold (also a Covid virus), flu, pneumonia, bronchitis...because the strains are constantly changing/mutating.

Just to clarify and provide fact, the common cold is not a covid virus as stated above.  See correct info below.

"Both COVID-19 and the common cold are caused by viruses. COVID-19 is caused by SARS-CoV-2, while the common cold is most often caused by rhinoviruses. These viruses spread in similar ways and cause many of the same signs and symptoms."

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

As someone who is triple vaccinated.....I have about a .00005 chance of dying from covid.  I won't let covid dictate my lifestyle.  Eventually I'm gonna die from something....but until that day, I want to enjoy my time.

This.  The vaccine does NOT guarantee you won't get a breakthrough case, though with 2000+ other vaxxed people, the chances would seem to be quite slim.  What it all but guarantees you is that your case will be mild.  How mild?  The people we've read about who were denied boarding with breakthrough cases apparently had no idea they were positive until the test came back.  Of course, SOME people with breakthroughs will have symptoms and a very few people, usually with pre-existing issues, will die.  

In comparison, anyone who has cruised frequently has probably heard a Code Alpha (or its equivalent on other cruise lines) called.  People get sick/die from many things, including on cruise ships.  I'll concern myself with alcohol poisoning and choking on my steak at Cagney's.  Those are much more likely scenarios for me than COVID. 🙂

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 7
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

You wear a mask to protect others not yourself so if I wear a mask I am protecting fellow passengers not myself, how would that alleviate my fears?  Incidentally I am not worried I simply stated that NCL is not making it as safe as they could

If you wear a KN95 or FFP2 mask you are protecting yourself,but not others.

If you wear a "normal" medical mask you are protecting others but not yourself.