What’s been your most amazing river cruise?

sjde

Of my eight river cruises a few stand out, Venice to Venice (I loved this one but my husband did not) and Tulips and Windmills during Floriade (husband did not go on this one). I love Christmas Markets on river cruises, especially on the Main and land trips!

Second seating

The Douro such a gentle uncomplicated trip and the Portuguese are wonderful.
The South of France as it shows that not all French are opposed to us Brits wonderful wine and scenery.

Amsterdam to Budapest can be as gentle or as energetic as you want.

All in all how to choose it really is impossible enjoy them all!

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Second seating said:

Of my eight river cruises a few stand out, Venice to Venice (I loved this one but my husband did not) and Tulips and Windmills during Floriade (husband did not go on this one). I love Christmas Markets on river cruises, especially on the Main and land trips!

Second seating

We have decided not to go in March 2022 on our Tulips cruise. My parents are elderly and with the unknown restrictions/testing and unnecessary exposure (even though we are all triple vaccinated)-and final payment due in 3 weeks-trying to reschedule.  I have just began looking for a replacement and came across a cruise that includes Floriade. Second seating-just wondering what made that cruise make your top RC list? Thanks for any insights!!!!

We have friends in the Netherlands and they suggested mid April and it was excellent!  I loved Keukenhof Gardens https://keukenhof.nl/en/.  I will prepare you it will be very cool, some southerners on the trip nearly froze to death take hats, scarves and gloves!  Bulbs do not bloom in warm weather!!!  For an avid gardener Floriade and Keukenoff was spectacular, also there will be a lot of walking.DSCN0116.thumb.JPG.e18ef026f2e9db0fdc7d6c727ed7e137.JPG

• Like 1

I did my trip to Keukenhof in 2009. We started in Antwerp, and I wore everything I had; fleece, gloves, scarf and earmuffs. But Keukenhof was at the end of the trip (April 28 or 29 I think) and it was a gorgeous day, and I was able to take off my light jacket and was very comfortable in a 3/4 sleeve top.

I will say that I'm not a gardener, and didn't know what to expect. Keukenhof was AMAZING! Uniworld offered us 2 return times and I was sure that I would be on the first, but I was enthralled, and stayed as long as I could.

Edited by gnome12

We did the Douro with Viking in 2017.  It was amazing.  I thought the scenery was fantastic.  We had also done Bordeaux and the Rhine with Viking but I think the Douro was the best overall cruise.  Fall is the best time to cruise.. Avoid the summer because of the heat. 

• Like 1

On 12/3/2021 at 7:39 AM, beanpittsburgh said:

We did the Douro with Viking in 2017.  It was amazing.  I thought the scenery was fantastic.  We had also done Bordeaux and the Rhine with Viking but I think the Douro was the best overall cruise.  Fall is the best time to cruise.. Avoid the summer because of the heat. 

Totally agree. We did the Douro with Viking 3 weeks ago. We did Danube and Moselle cruises, but the Douro was definitely the best overall. We were also fortunate to have great weather - sunny every day with high temperatures either side of 60F.

Does this question apply to European river cruises or any river cruise?

I've done five river cruises. Europe (Rhine/Main, Danube), China (Yangtse), USA (Mississippi), Egypt (Nile), Australia (Murray). All were amazing in their own unique ways. It is hard to pick one of them as as "most amazing".

So, which one would I most likely do again?

Perhaps the first with Bucharest included. Reason? So much history, as well as scenery, to take in.

Second choice would be Nile for the (ancient) history. Next would be Mississippi north of Memphis. As for China, I'm done with China ATM having been three times.

Edited by lyndarra
tidy up

1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

Probably, like some people, the first seems to be the most amazing.  We did a back to back Grand European cruise on Vantage.  

So true---after our first cruise in October 2019, we couldn't wait to book another one, but then just a few months later, we all know what happened......................